The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Held ball during AP throw in

B1 commits a violation and A1 is awarded the ball out of bounds. During the throw in A1 holds the ball through the boundary plane and B1 ties the ball up to a point that we have a held ball situation.

The AP arrow is pointing to team A. The ball is awarded to team A for another throw in. The same situation occurs and A1 holds the ball through the boundary plane. B1 again grabs and ties the ball up where we have another held ball situation.

Which team is awarded the ball?

Rules reference?
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The R View Post
B1 commits a violation and A1 is awarded the ball out of bounds. During the throw in A1 holds the ball through the boundary plane and B1 ties the ball up to a point that we have a held ball situation.

The AP arrow is pointing to team A. The ball is awarded to team A for another throw in. The same situation occurs and A1 holds the ball through the boundary plane. B1 again grabs and ties the ball up where we have another held ball situation.

Which team is awarded the ball?

Rules reference?
I don't have my rule book here with me right this moment, but the correct ruling is that A1 would be awarded another AP throw-in.

Here is why:

1. A1 has the ball for the AP throw-in. B1 ties up A1. By rule, the throw-in never ended (check out the section in the rule book that explains when a throw-in ends).
2. Since the throw-in never ended, the arrow was never changed.
3. Since the arrow never changed, the resulting AP throw-in is again awarded to A1 (check out the section that lists when the AP arrow is set/changed in the rule book).
4. Once this throw-in ends, the arrow will be changed to point to Team B.

The answer to the question all comes down to knowing when the arrow is switched per rule, which also requires knowledge of when a throw-in ends.
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 11:36am
Courageous When Prudent

The exception would be if the violation occurred during a jump ball. The AP arrow would be set to B when the ball is put at A's disposal.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 11:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Casebook Proof these guys were discussing.

6.4.5 Situation B:

During an alternating-possession throw-in, thrower A1 holds the ball through the end-line plane and B1 grabs it, resulting in a held ball.

RULING: Since the throw-in had not ended and no violation occurred, it is still A's ball for an alternating-possession throw-in. (4-42-5).

Peace
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you. There was some debate among the natives on the point of legal touching the ball in bounds.
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Does the same apply if the ball is thrown in and simultaneously held by A2 & B2?
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 01:07pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post
Does the same apply if the ball is thrown in and simultaneously held by A2 & B2?
No. In this case the throw-in has ended.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 01:28pm
High Five Master

I think this sucks. If nothing else has happened (fouls etc), this just punishes team B for playing astute throw in defense. If team A thrower in holds ball over the playing surface and you tie it up 15 times, they get to keep the ball each time it happens? Chalk this up to one of the worst rules of basketball

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
I think this sucks. If nothing else has happened (fouls etc), this just punishes team B for playing astute throw in defense. If team A thrower in holds ball over the playing surface and you tie it up 15 times, they get to keep the ball each time it happens? Chalk this up to one of the worst rules of basketball

I agree...you would think that since B is legally in bounds and the ball has now touched a player in-bounds, the throw in SHOULD end. Maybe something for a rules change in the future
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 04:03pm
We don't rent pigs

All this is logical, but how many times have any of you ever seen this happen? Change the rule, (if anybody knew about it, but they wouldn't) and it encourages the defender to be more active in reaching for the ball, which would result in more technical and intentional fouls.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 04:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I think the rule is fine. If you push the thrower back (or sometimes the defender) a little so this is not an issue, you do not have to worry about this even taking place.

I do not think it is enough of a big deal to even change the rule or interpretation.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If the defense had played so well, they would have taken the ball from the thrower. Instead, they only shared possession of the ball. They only got it half way. AP arrow is the right thing to do.

Plus, if they do it 15 times in a row, I'm buying a lottery ticket that day and will win the big prize!
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 06:59pm
Stubborn Member

If this is the worst rule ever, then I'd say the basketball rules committee has done a pretty damn good job, because this is something that you could go your entire officiating career and not see happen.
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 10:22pm
High Five Master

I'm still saying from all points of my view, referee/fan/former player, this is just silly. Very poor interpretation of throw in ending. I understand the rule and if it ever happened will adjudicate correctly but still think it is silly that the same team would keep getting the ball back no matter how many times it occurred. Nothing said here thus far has changed the fact the defense is getting kinda screwed on this play.

Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 11:24pm
beware big brother

Quote:
I'm still saying from all points of my view, referee/fan/former player, this is just silly. Very poor interpretation of throw in ending. I understand the rule and if it ever happened will adjudicate correctly but still think it is silly that the same team would keep getting the ball back no matter how many times it occurred. Nothing said here thus far has changed the fact the defense is getting kinda screwed on this play.

Good thing you said the underlined part above, because when you start thinking like the bolded part, you become more of a fan than an official and you start to make calls based on what seems fair, not what the rules call for.