The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Foul/Shot Clock Situation

We had this situation in a men's JuCo game this weekend. I'm just the voice on TV, so I come to you guys for help on this. With the shot clock at 1, A1 goes up for a shot and is fouled. After the foul, but before the ball leaves the shooter's hand, the shot clock horn goes off. The ball then leaves the shooter's hand and goes in. The officials counted the basket and gave the shooter his one free throw. I'm still trying to wrap my uneducated mind around this. The foul came before the shot clock hit zero, so that would supersede the shot clock violation, right? But is the shooter entitled to continue his attempt after the clock hits zero? My apologies for any inaccurate terminology, I'm still working my way through the rule book.
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Not an NCAA expert, but...

The foul occurred before the shot clock expired, and the shooter had begun the continuous motion.

Technically, the foul would stop the clock immediately, so the shot clock going off after the foul is the result of human error and is inconsequential.

If the foul occurred after the expiration of the shot clock and after the beginning of continuous motion, the goal could not be scored but you would still have a foul in the act of shooting.
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 01:47am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
The foul occurred before the shot clock expired, and the shooter had begun the continuous motion.

Technically, the foul would stop the clock immediately, so the shot clock going off after the foul is the result of human error and is inconsequential.

If the foul occurred after the expiration of the shot clock and after the beginning of continuous motion, the goal could not be scored but you would still have a foul in the act of shooting.
If the bolded part happens, then the play is dead before the foul, and is only penalized if intentional or flagrant.
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 06:05am
Official Forum Member

Depends upon when the whistle sounded for an NCAA game without a monitor. Before the horn, then the try counts. After means that there is no timing error and the officials cannot count the goal, but may award FTs.

With a monitor the exact time at the point of contact for the foul can be restored and the try counts.

I've never seen a JC game with a courtside monitor.
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If the bolded part happens, then the play is dead before the foul, and is only penalized if intentional or flagrant.
Thanks.

So, does the beginning of the act of shooting have any significance if it began before the expiration of the shot clock?
Old Mon Nov 23, 2015, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
Thanks.

So, does the beginning of the act of shooting have any significance if it began before the expiration of the shot clock?
Only in so far as a fouled player would be entitled to FTs, if fouled before the shot clock horn sounds.

For your main question, take each possibility in turn:
1. Act of shooting, foul, horn, release = the original sequence that I answered above
2. Act of shooting, horn, foul, release = dead ball, shot clock violation, no foul
3. Act of shooting, foul, release, horn = no issues, good basket, charge the foul