The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

In the 2nd Half of the OSU-Texas Big XII Final, OSU attempted a shot with time running down on the shot clock. A Texas player blocked the shot and it hit the floor OOB on the end line. The whistle blew and then, maybe a half second later, the shot clock horn sounded.
I know that we spent some time a few weeks ago discussing what to do on this play in a HS game that is using a shot clock because it is unclear if the NCAA shot clock rules should apply there, too.
Anyway just to pass along the info to those that read this forum, the ruling in this NCAA game was to put a full 1 second back on the shot clock and give the ball to OSU at the OOB spot.
Unfortunately, the situation led to a mess. OSU inbounded to a player directly under the basket who tossed up a wild shot. As the ball went straight up in the air near the top of the backboard and then started to come down, the shot clock horn sounded, and the trail official, thinking that the shot had no chance of hitting the rim blew the whistle. Well just as he was putting air into that whistle the ball came down on right on the rim and bounced out into the lane where a couple of players batted it a bit.
The official had to eat the inadvertant whistle and go over to the coaches and tell them that they were going to the arrow. To make it worse, the arrow favored OSU. So Texas head coach, Barnes, began a childlike tantrum, pleading that his team was getting the rebound, blah, blah, blah.
At least it was an educational play to see.
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

I think the officials on the game differ with you about the time. They obviously felt OOB with a full sec. I bet the official was happy to make the PC call right after the inadvertant whistle. Easy PC call to make.
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
I think the officials on the game differ with you about the time. They obviously felt OOB with a full sec. I bet the official was happy to make the PC call right after the inadvertant whistle. Easy PC call to make.
My point is that it doesn't matter how many tenths of that last second from shot clock should still remain. The shot clock doesn't do tenths. So the NCAA rule is to put 1 full second back up, even if the officials believe that only one tenth of a second should have been remaining.

In HS there is solid ground for ruling this play a shot clock violation and going the other way.

PS Yes, I too felt that the official was presented with a chance to send the possession the other direction and he smartly took it. He did not make up that PC foul, but at another point in the game it could have been passed on.
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, I really think that PC call wouldn't have been called earlier in the game? Why? I thought it was an easy call. I thought all D1 schools, by rule, were required to have tenths.
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

They are required to have tenths on the GAME clock, the shot clock only works in full seconds.
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 09:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
[/B]
Yes, I too felt that the official was presented with a chance to send the possession the other direction and he smartly took it. He did not make up that PC foul, but at another point in the game it could have been passed on.

[/B][/QUOTE]Hmmmmm....

In other words you thought it was a make-up call for the inadvertant whistle.

I didn't.
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They are required to have tenths on the GAME clock, the shot clock only works in full seconds.
AAhhh, you got there.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
In HS there is solid ground for ruling this play a shot clock violation and going the other way.
Since there are no shot clock rules at all in the FED book, and most states that use a HS shot clock follow the NCAA shot clock rules, what ground would there be for doing it differently in HS? I'm just curious, b/c I guess I've forgotten the original discussion.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Since there are no shot clock rules at all in the FED book, and most states that use a HS shot clock follow the NCAA shot clock rules, what ground would there be for doing it differently in HS? I'm just curious, b/c I guess I've forgotten the original discussion.
\

Lag time - whistle, horn - if clock was less than one second, no reset.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Although there are a few (really cool, in my opinion) shot clocks which show tenths for the whole 35.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Does this apply to the NCAA shot clock?
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Of course not. I was making the case for what in NFHS rules would let you say not reset the shot clock in this case.

Best scenario, though, is to have a good timer who will actually stop the clock on the whistle.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Of course not
Exactly my point. In MA, we use NCAA rules to govern our shot clock. Since lag time does not apply to the NCAA rules governing the shot clock, we (and any other state using the NCAA shot clock rules) would do exactly the same thing that the guys on TV did.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Does this apply to the NCAA shot clock? [/B]
Of course not[/B][/QUOTE]
Exactly my point. In MA, we use NCAA rules to govern our shot clock. Since lag time does not apply to the NCAA rules governing the shot clock, we (and any other state using the NCAA shot clock rules) would do exactly the same thing that the guys on TV did. [/B][/QUOTE]

You have courtside monitors? Wow, you guys are big time.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:
Of course not[/B]
Exactly my point. In MA, we use NCAA rules to govern our shot clock. Since lag time does not apply to the NCAA rules governing the shot clock, we (and any other state using the NCAA shot clock rules) would do exactly the same thing that the guys on TV did. [/B][/QUOTE]

You have courtside monitors? Wow, you guys are big time. [/B][/QUOTE]

Not sure what this means but the ncaa rules allow for both the availability of courtside monitors and the lack of courtside monitors.