The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Not a good day for the 35-second clock. Here's a situation that happened in the second half, and I'd like some of your opinions on what should be done in this situation.

Ball goes OOB, deflected off of B, in A's frontcourt. I look up and see that the game clock is at 13:13, and the shot clock reads 4. Because it was so low, I wrote the time down on a sheet separate from the scorebook.

Ball is inbounded from tableside, and is then passed into the opposite post. A1 goes up for a layup/low dunk and appears to be fouled by B1. C official blows his whistle.

At this point, the game clock reads 13:09, and the shot clock still reads 4.

Center official comes over and states that there's no foul, and that the ball didn't hit the rim.

How do you handle the situation?
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Not a good day for the 35-second clock. Here's a situation that happened in the second half, and I'd like some of your opinions on what should be done in this situation.

Ball goes OOB, deflected off of B, in A's frontcourt. I look up and see that the game clock is at 13:13, and the shot clock reads 4. Because it was so low, I wrote the time down on a sheet separate from the scorebook.

Ball is inbounded from tableside, and is then passed into the opposite post. A1 goes up for a layup/low dunk and appears to be fouled by B1. C official blows his whistle.

At this point, the game clock reads 13:09, and the shot clock still reads 4.

Center official comes over and states that there's no foul, and that the ball didn't hit the rim.

How do you handle the situation?
I don't know exactly what happened. I'm assuming (since the official stated that the ball did not hit the rim) that there was no basket. Shot clock starts, on a throw-in when the game clock starts. Since you had definite knowledge of the time that should have ran off, there is a shot clock violation. Can you be clearer, or did I miss something? What happened?
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Just to clarify, the ball didn't go in, and if it left A1's hands, it didn't travel higher than an inch.

I was there and saw what the outcome was. Just wanted to see what some other opinions were (to compare them to my solution) before saying what happened.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
That's an easy one. Definite knowledge that four seconds expired during the play; no rim; violation.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

I was thinking either a violation or, to be safe, put one second on the shot clock (the 13:13 might have been 13:12.1 yadda, yadda, yadda).

Instead, the officials had a (their words, not mine) "do-over."

The clock was reset to 13:13, and the shot clock was reset to 4. Team A then got the ball back at the spot where they had originally inbounded.

And I'm still not sure why the whistle was blown at 13:09 . . .
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck is right. Though 13:08 would have been better. Than there is no debate about the time.