Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Double Foul on Alternating Poss'n Throw-in

Anyone wants to take a stab at this?

Double Foul on Throw-in

A1 has the ball at his/her disposal for an alternating-possession throw-in. Prior to A1 releasing the ball, A2 and B1 are called for a double foul. How is play resumed? How is the alternating-possession arrow affected?
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Point of Interruption. A will have the ball for a throw in.

That correct?
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

What about the arrow?
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official View Post
What about the arrow?
My understanding of the arrow is since we go bak to the point of interruption the arrow will change upon the whistle starting the 5 count for the alternating possession throw in after the double foul
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsonj72 View Post
My understanding of the arrow is since we go bak to the point of interruption the arrow will change upon the whistle starting the 5 count for the alternating possession throw in after the double foul
The POI is the AP throw-in.

The arrow changes just like on any other AP throw-in -- when the AP throw-in ends or when the inbounding team violates (and they might have changed the definition so that last part is redundant).
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 01:46pm
NFHS Official

A ball, arrow stays the same
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 01:48pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
A ball, arrow stays the same
Team A will have a new AP throw-in. POI is the AP throw-in.

Don't use verbiage that will confuse a coach or the table.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The POI is the AP throw-in.

The arrow changes just like on any other AP throw-in -- when the AP throw-in ends or when the inbounding team violates (and they might have changed the definition so that last part is redundant).

I agree 100% with Bob....unfortunately it is not the answer given by (I won't say).....Here was the answer given (the part I don't agree with is in BOLD). I don't claim to know everything so can anyone provide support as to why this could be correct?:

Ruling
A double foul results in no free throws and play is resumed at the point of interruption; which in this case is the throw-in by team A. When a foul is committed during an alternating possession throw-in, it does not cause the alternating-possession to end and does not cause the team to lose the possession arrow. Therefore team A shall retain the alternating-possession arrow after the ensuing throw-in ends. 4-36-2b, 4-42-5, 6-4-4, 6-4-5
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I agree 100% with Bob....unfortunately it is not the answer given by (I won't say).....Here was the answer given (the part I don't agree with is in BOLD). I don't claim to know everything so can anyone provide support as to why this could be correct?:

Ruling
A double foul results in no free throws and play is resumed at the point of interruption; which in this case is the throw-in by team A. When a foul is committed during an alternating possession throw-in, it does not cause the alternating-possession to end and does not cause the team to lose the possession arrow. Therefore team A shall retain the alternating-possession arrow after the ensuing throw-in ends. 4-36-2b, 4-42-5, 6-4-4, 6-4-5
What rules set?
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 03:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Ruling
It's not correct, so it is impossible to support.

In one sentence it tells you the AP throw-in has not ended; in the sentence proceeding we are told the double foul will cause us to resume at the POI. So the 3rd sentence makes no logical sense, in addition to being wrong.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

+1. Had there been a foul that did not result in POI resumption, then the AP procedure would indeed be postponed. But this is a double foul; the ruling's second sentence is missing that critical distinction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 04:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Fouls do not change any AP Arrow situation if I am not mistaken. I will have to look this up again to be sure.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Double foul results in play being resumed at POI.

POI = AP throw-in.

Upon completion of the AP throw-in, arrow will be switched.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

The ruling is indeed incorrect, but I can understand why someone would attempt to justify it. If one looks just at the actual text of the POI rule, there is nothing to justify giving an AP throw-in in the presented situation. I only know to do that because there is an old play ruling which says to do so.
The rule just says to award the team a throw-in.

The POI rule is a process for resuming the game after specific stoppages, it provides a throw-in to a specific team in parts a and b of the rule and an AP-throw-in in part c. People tend to think of the POI as picking up where the game left off, but while that is true in spirit, it is not strictly correct from a rules standpoint.

Part b of the POI rule needs an additional phrase clarifying that the throw-in or FT awarded to the team shall occur under the same circumstances as the one taking place or about to take place when the stoppage in play happened.

For example, if A1 and B1 dive on the floor for a loose ball and create a heldball situation with the arrow favoring Team A, but then get upset with each other and each earn technical fouls which constitute a double technical foul, we know to report the fouls and continue the game with the AP throw-in, but by part b of the POI rule one could think that Team A should simply get a normal throw-in because that team was entitled to a throw-in when the double tech occurred.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 06:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The ruling is indeed incorrect, but I can understand why someone would attempt to justify it. If one looks just at the actual text of the POI rule, there is nothing to justify giving an AP throw-in in the presented situation. I only know to do that because there is an old play ruling which says to do so.
The rule just says to award the team a throw-in.

The POI rule is a process for resuming the game after specific stoppages, it provides a throw-in to a specific team in parts a and b of the rule and an AP-throw-in in part c. People tend to think of the POI as picking up where the game left off, but while that is true in spirit, it is not strictly correct from a rules standpoint.

Part b of the POI rule needs an additional phrase clarifying that the throw-in or FT awarded to the team shall occur under the same circumstances as the one taking place or about to take place when the stoppage in play happened.

For example, if A1 and B1 dive on the floor for a loose ball and create a heldball situation with the arrow favoring Team A, but then get upset with each other and each earn technical fouls which constitute a double technical foul, we know to report the fouls and continue the game with the AP throw-in, but by part b of the POI rule one could think that Team A should simply get a normal throw-in because that team was entitled to a throw-in when the double tech occurred.
That's only if you read 4-36.2b as narrowly as possible. It's still "a throw-in", but in this case, a specific type of throw-in. Also doesn't state whether or not it is a designated spot throw-in, but if a made basket was involved, we know it would be anywhere along the endline.