The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Throw-ins

Hello,

When determining when the throw-in ends, rule 42 section 5 states that the throw-in ends when
the passed ball touches or is legally touched by another player inbounds
the passed ball touches or is touched by a player out of bounds (except after a made basket)
the throw-in team commits a throw-in violation.

My question is this - if Team A has the ball for a throw-in, passes the ball in, and a player on Team B commits a kicking violation, does this fall under the "the passed ball touches a player in-bounds", which would cause the throw-in to end? Or, since Team B committed a violation, does that mean the throw-in never ended? Looking at this from the point of view of having an AP throw-in.

Thanks!
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Note the word "legally" in front of touched with regards to the throwin ending in the first part. Also note that touching and being touched by imply something regarding a kick...is a kick a positive act or a passive act?
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Would a throw in end if either team commits a foul?
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9819 View Post
My question is this - if Team A has the ball for a throw-in, passes the ball in, and a player on Team B commits a kicking violation, does this fall under the "the passed ball touches a player in-bounds", which would cause the throw-in to end? Or, since Team B committed a violation, does that mean the throw-in never ended? Looking at this from the point of view of having an AP throw-in.

Thanks!
Throw in never ended because of the violation by Team B. Team A would have the ball for a throw in at the OOB spot nearest the kicking violation. The AP arrow would not change because of the violation by Team B and Team a would retain the arrow.

Look at it logically. If that wasn't the case, Team B would not be penalized for their kicking violation.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2015, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
Throw in never ended because of the violation by Team B. Team A would have the ball for a throw in at the OOB spot nearest the kicking violation. The AP arrow would not change because of the violation by Team B and Team a would retain the arrow.

Look at it logically. If that wasn't the case, Team B would not be penalized for their kicking violation.
And yet, if B were to catch the ball while OOB, it would still be a violation on B and A would get the ball but A would lose the arrow. The difference being legally touching the ball in an illegal location vs. illegally touching the ball in a legal location.

Also, we need to remember that this is test season....a lot of the questions lately are likely straight from the test. Once I realized that, I've altered my reply to be more directional than giving conclusive answers. The posters will be a lot better off understanding the rules than being given the answer so they can pass the test.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Nov 04, 2015 at 12:41am.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2015, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
And yet, if B were to catch the ball while OOB, it would still be a violation on B and A would get the ball but A would lose the arrow. The difference being legally touching the ball in an illegal location vs. illegally touching the ball in a legal location.

Also, we need to remember that this is test season....a lot of the questions lately are likely straight from the test. Once I realized that, I've altered my reply to be more directional than giving conclusive answers. The posters will be a lot better off understanding the rules than being given the answer so they can pass the test.

My question was not the result of taking the test - came from me reading through the rule book and reading too much/over thinking the rule.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2015, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Would a throw in end if either team commits a foul?
Since that's not listed as one of the reasons a throw-in ends, ....
Old Wed Nov 04, 2015, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Since that's not listed as one of the reasons a throw-in ends, ....
Which begs the question why doesn't it end? I understand for an AP throw in but I am talking about non AP throw in.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2015, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

There is a case book play that is pretty much the exact scenario -- Case Book Situation 4.42.5
Old Wed Nov 04, 2015, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Which begs the question why doesn't it end? I understand for an AP throw in but I am talking about non AP throw in.
It "ends" in English, but it doesn't "end" for rules purposes. And, they can't just add it because of the AP issue
Old Wed Nov 04, 2015, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It "ends" in English, but it doesn't "end" for rules purposes. And, they can't just add it because of the AP issue
That makes sense.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2015, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9819 View Post
My question was not the result of taking the test - came from me reading through the rule book and reading too much/over thinking the rule.
Fair enough. This time of year, we typically see a lot of "questions" that look a lot like test questions. That doesn't mean they all are, but some of us have been around long enough to see the patterns.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2015, 06:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
There is a case book play that is pretty much the exact scenario -- Case Book Situation 4.42.5
4.42.5 SITUATION: Team A is awarded an alternating-possession throw-in.
A1’s throw-in pass is illegally kicked by B2. RULING: As a result of B2’s kicking
violation, Team A is awarded a new throw-in at the designated spot nearest to
where the kicking violation (illegal touching) occurred. Since the alternating-possession
throw-in had not been contacted legally, the throw-in has not ended and
therefore, the arrow remains with Team A for the next alternating-possession
throw-in. COMMENT: The kicking violation ends the alternating-possession
throw-in and as a result, a non-alternating-possession throw-in is administered.
When the ball is legally touched on the subsequent throw-in following the kicking
violation, the arrow shall not be changed and shall remain with Team A.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)