The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 26, 2015, 07:37pm
Official & Member

Correctable Error? Free throws awarded for offensive foul.

Ballhandler A1 fouls B1. It is A's 7th team foul. Officials mistakenly award 1 and 1 to B1. B1 converts first free throw, misses second, team A controls rebound and play continues until referee realizes error during live ball and blows whistle to confer with partner a) before team A scores field goal or b) immediately after team A scores a field goal. Correctable under 2-10-1b in a)or b)?
Old Mon Oct 26, 2015, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Ballhandler A1 fouls B1. It is A's 7th team foul. Officials mistakenly award 1 and 1 to B1. B1 converts first free throw, misses second, team A controls rebound and play continues until referee realizes error during live ball and blows whistle to confer with partner a) before team A scores field goal or b) immediately after team A scores a field goal. Correctable under 2-10-1b in a)or b)?
Yes.
Old Mon Oct 26, 2015, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Yes.
....because of 2-10-2. For purposes of this situation, "recognition" occurs when the official stops play to correct the error, even though in the OP he/she became aware of it sometime during A's possession that led up to the try for goal.

This happened to me once where I suspected an error during a possession, and in my head I knew I had until the ball next became dead, so it gave me a little time to confirm it mentally. Had I panicked and blown it dead and been wrong, I would have made an arse out of myself.*

*That said, when in doubt, blow it dead if you're not sure. Better to make sure for the sake of the aggrieved team while the correction window is still open.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2015, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
....because of 2-10-2. For purposes of this situation, "recognition" occurs when the official stops play to correct the error, even though in the OP he/she became aware of it sometime during A's possession that led up to the try for goal.

This happened to me once where I suspected an error during a possession, and in my head I knew I had until the ball next became dead, so it gave me a little time to confirm it mentally. Had I panicked and blown it dead and been wrong, I would have made an arse out of myself.*

*That said, when in doubt, blow it dead if you're not sure. Better to make sure for the sake of the aggrieved team while the correction window is still open.
You actually have until the ball becomes live after it becomes dead.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2015, 02:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
You actually have until the ball becomes live after it becomes dead.

Technically correct; thank you for clarifying. I meant that I knew I had the next dead ball period to address it before the window closed, but I should have been more careful in how I worded it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk