The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Ok last time I had a question I was led in the right direction. I may have this one wrong but let me put it in front of all the experience. Here goes... A1 is fouled by B1. This is the sixth team foul. B1 doesn't like the call and tells the official what he thinks. WHACK! Now they have 7 team fouls. The officials (2 man crew) got together and awarded 4 free throws. It turned out to be a 7 pt play as all 4 free throws were made plus a member of team A hit a 3 pt shot. Shouldn't they only awarded the 2 throws for the T????
Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jayzer
that'e a walk

Quote:
Originally posted by that's a walk

Ok last time I had a question I was led in the right direction. I may have this one wrong but let me put it in front of all the experience. Here goes... A1 is fouled by B1. This is the sixth team foul. B1 doesn't like the call and tells the official what he thinks. WHACK! Now they have 7 team fouls. The officials (2 man crew) got together and awarded 4 free throws. It turned out to be a 7 pt play as all 4 free throws were made plus a member of team A hit a 3 pt shot. Shouldn't they only awarded the 2 throws for the T????
I would say only the "T" should haved deserved 2 shots.
Off course the 3 Pter. was good. The 6th foul did not carry a 1 and bonus.

Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A1 is fouled by B1. This is the sixth team foul. B1 doesn't like the call and tells the official what he thinks. WHACK! Now they have 7 team fouls. The officials (2 man crew) got together and awarded 4 free throws. It turned out to be a 7 pt play as all 4 free throws were made plus a member of team A hit a 3 pt shot. Shouldn't they only awarded the 2 throws for the T????
This is what I am "hearing" you say...
A1 is fouled by B1 while shooting a 3-pointer. The basket as made. Then B1 earns a "T" with his/her reaction to the official's call.

Count the basket, 3 pts.
Award the shooter one FT

Team A can choose a shooter for the two FTs awarded for the "T".

So as you can see, there is a potential for 6 points on this series of events. PLUS Team A has ball at division-line for throw-in.

[Edited by williebfree on Feb 12th, 2005 at 08:59 AM]
Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 10:03am
M.A.S.H.

6 point play, a chance for a possible 8-10 point swing. Wow, wonder how many coaches draw that play up!
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It depends. Was A1 in the act of shooting when B1 fouled him? If so, then A1 is due 2 FTs. If not, it would be Team A's ball OOB, since the sixth team foul does not merit any FTs. Nothing that happens after this point can change this.

Now we have the T charged to B1. That is 2 FTs for any member of Team A. If A1 was getting 2 from before, these 2 FTs will follow those, otherwise these will be the only 2 FTs awarded.

Now Team A inbounds the ball at the division line opposite the table and you say that a member of Team A made a 3-pt shot. Ok. No problem there. Team B should have played better defense.

Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 02:21am
Official Forum Member

Let me try this again... OK A1 is fouled by B1. Not in the act of shooting. A common foul. The sixth team foul. Now B1 lets the official know what he thinks of the call. At this time the official gives B1 a T. Now they have seven team fouls which puts team A in the bonus. The officials get together and award Team A 4 free throws. First a 1-1 and then 2 for the T. On the insuing division line throw in for team A a player from team A throws in a long 3 pointer. Hence, a seven point play. My thought was that there should have been only two free throws awarded. The two for the T. Nothing for the sixth non-shooting foul.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 02:41am
Official Forum Member

Only 2 FTs for the T. The common foul was the sixth team foul, then the T made the 7th. Did the coach make team foul number 8 when 4 shots were awarded? I know if I was coaching, you could have chalked that one up pretty quickly!
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 05:53am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Let me try this again... OK A1 is fouled by B1. Not in the act of shooting. A common foul. The sixth team foul. Now B1 lets the official know what he thinks of the call. At this time the official gives B1 a T. Now they have seven team fouls which puts team A in the bonus. The officials get together and award Team A 4 free throws. First a 1-1 and then 2 for the T. On the insuing division line throw in for team A a player from team A throws in a long 3 pointer. Hence, a seven point play. My thought was that there should have been only two free throws awarded. The two for the T. Nothing for the sixth non-shooting foul.
You are correct, sir. Count 3 for the made 3-pointer. Had a T not been issued, it would be A's ball for a throw-in. The T is the 7th team foul, and carries a penalty of 2 free throws, plus a throw-in at the division line. It does not also carry a penalty of 1+1 because it's now the 7th team foul.