The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Sep 14, 2015, 12:09pm
Lighten up, Francis.

How do you emphasize a rule that doesn't exist?

From this year's POE #3: "On release of the ball by the free thrower, the defender boxing out shall not cross the free-throw line into the semicircle until the ball contacts the ring or backboard."

I love this rule. It used to be the rule 30 years ago. Can anybody cite this rule for me?
Old Mon Sep 14, 2015, 12:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

There is no rule, but you cannot displace the shooter.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 14, 2015, 12:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
From this year's POE #3: "On release of the ball by the free thrower, the defender boxing out shall not cross the free-throw line into the semicircle until the ball contacts the ring or backboard."

I love this rule. It used to be the rule 30 years ago. Can anybody cite this rule for me?
It wasn't the rule 30 years ago. It was a rule for 4 years, from 1993-94 until the lane restrictions were changed in 1997-98 and it became unnecessary.

(The NFHS handbook is a treasure trove of historical rule information. Love the digital access I got with my NFHS membership. BTW, the alternating possession arrow is 30 years old this year -- it was adopted in 1985-86, two years before I started officiating HS basketball.)

I'm not bothered at all about it. I'll simply call a violation and point at the POE if asked.

I stopped being pedantic about the rules about 10 years ago. Really liberating, you should try it!
Old Mon Sep 14, 2015, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
i stopped being pedantic about the rules about 10 years ago. Really liberating, you should try it!
+1.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2015, 01:14pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It wasn't the rule 30 years ago. It was a rule for 4 years, from 1993-94 until the lane restrictions were changed in 1997-98 and it became unnecessary.
Ok, I honestly have no idea what the rules were 30 years ago. But I knew that it had been a rule at one point long ago.

Quote:
I stopped being pedantic about the rules about 10 years ago. Really liberating, you should try it!
"Pedantic" seems to be somewhat a matter of opinion, since one person's trivial detail is another's crucial distinction ("marked by a narrow focus on or display of learning especially its trivial aspects"), but I take your point.

I happen to think that it's important for the rules, case plays and POEs to be internally consistent. It bothers me when one section of the book says x and another section says not-x. It also bothers me when it appears that the people who are entrusted with the rules of the game seem to have a cavalier attitude about the changes that they make.

I realize not everybody feels the same way, but the details matter to me.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2015, 01:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Is this just in basketball?

Just kidding.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 14, 2015, 01:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post

I realize not everybody feels the same way, but the details matter to me.
OK, but what are you looking to confirm? The rule is written the way it is. There is no rule for crossing the FT line like their used to be. I do not believe any other level had that rule in place but the NF. But you still can protect the shooter from being displaced, but the issue is no longer crossing a line.

I do not see this as a big deal. The rule is different now, that is all.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 14, 2015, 01:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
OK, but what are you looking to confirm? The rule is written the way it is. There is no rule for crossing the FT line like their used to be. I do not believe any other level had that rule in place but the NF. But you still can protect the shooter from being displaced, but the issue is no longer crossing a line.

I do not see this as a big deal. The rule is different now, that is all.

Peace
Well, that's the point he's making. Maybe I'm being too blasé about it after all.

The NFHS is saying that it's a rule (based on the POE), but then forgot to put it in the rules proper.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2015, 01:28pm
Official Fiveum Member

Quote:
BTW, the alternating possession arrow is 30 years old this year --
Old Mon Sep 14, 2015, 01:32pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
The NFHS is saying that it's a rule (based on the POE), but then forgot to put it in the rules proper.
Exactly, I think they're saying in the POE to call a violation; but it's not listed as a violation in the rulebook or casebook.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2015, 01:33pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
. . . but then forgot to put it in the rules proper.
As I await delivery of the new rulebook and casebook, I had imagined they'd add this as a violation somewhere.
Did you get a look at the new rulebook?
Old Mon Sep 14, 2015, 01:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
As I await delivery of the new rulebook and casebook, I had imagined they'd add this as a violation somewhere.
It's not in the NFHS Central Hub yet and we haven't received them yet in my state.

I hear the mechanics manual has been completely overhauled, though, so it will be interesting to see what changes they snuck in there.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2015, 01:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I have the rulebooks and casebook and I do not see this at all. But maybe I will do some investigation to be sure of that. I just did not notice any change in the rules this year yet.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 14, 2015, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I hear the mechanics manual has been completely overhauled, though, so it will be interesting to see what changes they snuck in there.
I've only skimmed it, but the thing I immediately noticed was that the new manual contains a description of each signal and how the NFHS wants each signal made.

The other thing I immediately checked for was whether or not they're allowing two-handed reporting. Alas, still required to use one hand according to the NFHS.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2015, 01:44pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I just got mine today and it's not listed as a violation in Rule 8 or 9.
Closed Thread