The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
This would be why there's an "Ask Jon" section on the hub
sure -- but I thought we might get some discussion here, first (unless it's been posted there and I missed it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Since there is no true TC during a throw-in, I say the ball does not have FC status in either scenario.
What is "true TC?"
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I think we all agree now that in the play above, the answer is "2 seconds."

But, what if the throw-in (from adjacent to the FC), is a "bounce pass" that first hits the floor in the FC? Does that give A a new 10-seconds?

What if the ball is touched / tipped (not controlled) by A2 in the FC and deflects to the BC where it is recovered?
The rule says a player and his team can't be in continuous control of a BALL that is in his backcourt for 10 continuous seconds…don't reset if defense knocks it out of bounds.

On your throw in, the moment the BALL hits the FC or touches a player in the FC, IT, the BALL, has FC status. Team A can't be in continuous control of a ball in the BC for 10 seconds because the ball was IN FC. new count..

Last edited by BigCat; Tue Nov 03, 2015 at 11:01am.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 10:41am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
sure -- but I thought we might get some discussion here, first (unless it's been posted there and I missed it)

What is "true TC?"
As in if A1 is inbounds (regardless of location) and throws a pass that A2 touches in the FC and then Team A retrieves it in the BC, it's a violation.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As in if A1 is inbounds (regardless of location) and throws a pass that A2 touches in the FC and then Team A retrieves it in the BC, it's a violation.
Agreed -- but the question is about a 10-second violation, not a BC violation. I think we all agree that the play I posted is NOT a BC violation.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Tue Nov 03, 2015 at 10:57am.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 10:52am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Agreed -- but the question is about a 10-second violation, not a BC violation. I think we all agree that the play I posted is NOT a BC violation.

If you are saying that "because it's not a BC violation, then the 10-second count shouldn't start over" compare it to A1 in the BC passes the ball toward the FC. The ball hits an official and rebounds into the BC where A1 recovers it." That's not a BC violation, but the 10-second count starts over.
If A1 is in the BC and throws a pass that touches the FC and spins back into the BC and A2 retrieves it, we don't have a BC violation?

What element of BC violation are we missing?
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Sorry -- yes. You caught me trying to edit my post with the play. I am dealing via email with a different play and I got the two confused as I was typing.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 11:08am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
In my brain, I'm trying to keep the logic similar where possible.

I do not think throwing a bounce pass on a throw-in that hits the FC is intended by rule to give the ball FC status.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In my brain, I'm trying to keep the logic similar where possible.

I do not think throwing a bounce pass on a throw-in that hits the FC is intended by rule to give the ball FC status.
Ball location is in my view independent of team control etc. The ball is located wherever it is at that moment in time. If it hits in the FC it is in the FC..
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 12:58pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Ball location is in my view independent of team control etc. The ball is located wherever it is at that moment in time. If it hits in the FC it is in the FC..
I'll look at it as the ball doesn't have a location until the throw-in has ended.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Tue Nov 03, 2015, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'll look at it as the ball doesn't have a location until the throw-in has ended.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
I could see an interpretation saying count continues based on this...
Old Wed Nov 04, 2015, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Here's Jon's answer (and there are a couple of other plays he uses that illustrate the same thing):

DATE:

11/3/2015

RULE:

9-10, 9-12

QUESTION:

If the throw-in is from the frontcourt, but has not touched the court or a player in the frontcourt, is it a new 10 seconds if: 1) Thrower in A1 throws a bounce pass from the frontcourt, which bounces in the frontcourt, but is first touched by a player in the backcourt; 2) Thrower in A1 throws a bounce pass from the frontcourt, which bounces in the frontcourt and is then deflected by A2 or B2, either of whom is standing in the frontcourt, and then goes into the backcourt 3) Thrower in A1 throws a chest pass which is deflected by B1, who is standing in the frontcourt, and the ball then goes in to the backcourt?

ANSWER:

In all three scenarios you present, if Team A’s pass is deflected out of bounds without touching the playing court or a player/official int he frontcourt and Team’s ensuing throw-in were to be thrown directly into Team A’s backcourt, Team A then has the remaining time in the backcourt count to advance the ball into their frontcourt.

In your three scenarios (A1’s throw-in touches the playing court in the frontcourt before going into the backcourt, A1’s bounce pass in the frontcourt is deflected by A1 or B2 into Team A’s backcourt or A1’s throw-in is deflected in flight by B2 into Team A’s backcourt), Team A will receive a new 10 seconds to advance the ball once it is touched in the backcourt, because in all three examples you provided frontcourt status has been established. Additionally, if A1’s throw-in were deflected by A2 into their backcourt, this is legal and not a backcourt violation s Team A did not have team control int heir frontcourt before the ball was returned to their backcourt (Rule 9-12.4).
Old Wed Nov 04, 2015, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here's Jon's answer (and there are a couple of other plays he uses that illustrate the same thing):

DATE:

11/3/2015

RULE:

9-10, 9-12

QUESTION:

If the throw-in is from the frontcourt, but has not touched the court or a player in the frontcourt, is it a new 10 seconds if: 1) Thrower in A1 throws a bounce pass from the frontcourt, which bounces in the frontcourt, but is first touched by a player in the backcourt; 2) Thrower in A1 throws a bounce pass from the frontcourt, which bounces in the frontcourt and is then deflected by A2 or B2, either of whom is standing in the frontcourt, and then goes into the backcourt 3) Thrower in A1 throws a chest pass which is deflected by B1, who is standing in the frontcourt, and the ball then goes in to the backcourt?

ANSWER:

In all three scenarios you present, if Team A’s pass is deflected out of bounds without touching the playing court or a player/official int he frontcourt and Team’s ensuing throw-in were to be thrown directly into Team A’s backcourt, Team A then has the remaining time in the backcourt count to advance the ball into their frontcourt.

In your three scenarios (A1’s throw-in touches the playing court in the frontcourt before going into the backcourt, A1’s bounce pass in the frontcourt is deflected by A1 or B2 into Team A’s backcourt or A1’s throw-in is deflected in flight by B2 into Team A’s backcourt), Team A will receive a new 10 seconds to advance the ball once it is touched in the backcourt, because in all three examples you provided frontcourt status has been established. Additionally, if A1’s throw-in were deflected by A2 into their backcourt, this is legal and not a backcourt violation s Team A did not have team control int heir frontcourt before the ball was returned to their backcourt (Rule 9-12.4).
Makes sense based on the rules as they're written.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Nov 04, 2015, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Makes sense based on the rules as they're written.
Absolutely. (But of course I say that since I argued in favor of this position at a pre-game (scrimmage) discussion with four other officials the other night. Had I taken the other position, I'm *sure* I'd find his reasoning to be flawed. )