The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Inbounds play backcourt no call

A1 inbounds to A2 in the frontcourt who does not catch the ball which deflects off a2 fingertips into the backcourt. A2 retreives ball. No backcourt correct becuase the was no team possesion.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

that is correct
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Since this subject was brought up, I'd like to ask when an offensive team is actually allowed to cross the division line when inbounding the ball. I know they aren't allowed to after an OOB call, but I was of under the impression that they were allowed to on a foul call.

For ex: Ball is in Team A's frontcourt, B1 fouls A1 near 3 point line. Ball is taken out of bounds at closest spot. Can team A cross the division line in this case? Are there any other instances where they are able to when inbounding the ball in their frontcourt?
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbofficial
Since this subject was brought up, I'd like to ask when an offensive team is actually allowed to cross the division line when inbounding the ball. I know they aren't allowed to after an OOB call, but I was of under the impression that they were allowed to on a foul call.

For ex: Ball is in Team A's frontcourt, B1 fouls A1 near 3 point line. Ball is taken out of bounds at closest spot. Can team A cross the division line in this case? YES!! Are there any other instances where they are able to when inbounding the ball in their frontcourt? YES!! ON ALL THROW-INS

All replies are in Red
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:23am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
I'd like to ask when an offensive team is actually allowed to cross the division line when inbounding the ball.
In both high school and college, any throw-in can be thrown into the backcourt. In the NBA, no throw-in may be thrown into the backcourt, except during the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter and any OT.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... I'd like to ask when an offensive team is actually allowed to cross the division line when inbounding the ball. I know they aren't allowed to after an OOB call,...
Just learned something, huh?
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

For ex: Ball is in Team A's frontcourt, B1 fouls A1 near 3 point line. Ball is taken out of bounds at closest spot. Can team A cross the division line in this case? Are there any other instances where they are able to when inbounding the ball in their frontcourt?
On a throw-in, you can always throw the ball into the BC. makes no difference whether it's a foul or violation or where the throw-in spot is.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Just learned something, huh?
Haha, yep! I'm glad I found this place. I couldn't find anything in the rule books or case books about disallowing it, and now I know why. Being a first year official, I'm still trying to differentiate between the rules in the college or NBA game and the rules in the HS game.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Great! Now read the posts on here and ask lots of questions. There are some excellent people on here who will help you a tremendous amount.

Best wishes.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Great! Now read the posts on here and ask lots of questions. There are some excellent people on here who will help you a tremendous amount.

Best wishes.
Thank you I played in HS and college and I thought the transistion to official would be an easy one, but that wasn't the case. It's a completely different ballgame, but I am loving it so far.

I do appreciate all the help that is given here, this is a great place.