The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 11, 2015, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

I'm going to be the devil's advocate here. This is a rec league. They are not the same as interscholastic ball. Little if any ramifications for their actions. You need the right attitude going in. I think you made several mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
That is his fourth foul and he goes off whining lol the way to the bench sits down and says, "call it both ways.." I naturally serve a cup of T and go about my business.
Rec league, I don't see this action as T. Easy to ignore and go on.

Quote:
loudly to everyone else, "and this serves as everyone else's warning."
Really? Not professional at all. Nothing you said showed this was necessary. Just elevating the situation IMO.

Quote:
Next play the kid on the bench is still mouthing off. I calmly told him, "I can give you another and you can leave if you want."
Don't engage with a bench. Tell coach to address it but don't address a bench player. T him if you need to but nothing good can come from engaging with bench other than coach.

Quote:
We basically had the same conversation in the hall trying to pled my case but it was to no avail.
Why? Would you put shoes back on and go back for more punishment?

Rec leagues are where most of use earned our stripes at one time or another. I sure would never work for a league that didn't back officials but you need to expect difference from organized ball. Fortunately the league I worked was run by good officials and they always backed us. Rich, knows, he worked there in early 2000's with me. But to me, it sounds like you had a chip on your shoulder going in. Players don't want to be shown up any more than we do and confronting them and yelling at them sure isn't earning anyone's respect. You cant demand respect by trying to show up players and hide behind your stripes.
Old Sat Sep 12, 2015, 06:59pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
I'm going to be the devil's advocate here. This is a rec league. They are not the same as interscholastic ball. Little if any ramifications for their actions. You need the right attitude going in. I think you made several mistakes.

Rec league, I don't see this action as T. Easy to ignore and go on.
A T in this league = 2 min sit out. A second one equals ejection and suspension. My attitude was just fine going in. Everyone had been whining the whole game. This player was the worst and both me and my partner had already warned him. And It's Rec ball. No ramifications for the T as it was the last game of the season anyway.

Quote:
Really? Not professional at all. Nothing you said showed this was necessary. Just elevating the situation IMO.

Don't engage with a bench. Tell coach to address it but don't address a bench player. T him if you need to but nothing good can come from engaging with bench other than coach.
No coaches in this leauge. He was the only sub and only player on the bench.

Quote:
Why? Would you put shoes back on and go back for more punishment?
Like I said, from the players standpoint, no one had a problem with anything we as a crew were doing except for this dude. Not my assigner, not my partner, not the players. I wasn't having an issue until right then.

Quote:
Rec leagues are where most of use earned our stripes at one time or another. I sure would never work for a league that didn't back officials but you need to expect difference from organized ball. Fortunately the league I worked was run by good officials and they always backed us. Rich, knows, he worked there in early 2000's with me. But to me, it sounds like you had a chip on your shoulder going in. Players don't want to be shown up any more than we do and confronting them and yelling at them sure isn't earning anyone's respect. You cant demand respect by trying to show up players and hide behind your stripes.
It has been a few months since I worked in this league. Usually the sit for 2 rule is a good sign the league backs officials. The person who ran it before backed us and would have had no problem with what I did. I know because this very thing has happened several times before. Obviously this new guy is an ignoramus and wants to cut the legs off of his officials so it will be an unpleasant experience for everyone.

My assigner backs what I did.

I totally had quit doing all rec ball for ages less than 9th grade and liked working this league for the game management skills I learned. This is the only one I do.

Not quite sure where you think I have a chip on my shoulder. I pride myself in knowing the rules and working very hard to be the best official I can be. Showing him up would have been me sticking him again on the bench or sticking other players for mouthing off any other time. This was routine easy peazy lemon squeezy and he didn't even argue the T.

Now all that has happened is the players now think they can get the referees in trouble by provoking them.
This leauge I'd going down hill fast from here.
Old Sat Sep 12, 2015, 10:58pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I will not take crap when I'm not being paid, and I don't know why anyone would quite frankly. Sorry, not happening. I'm either serving T and being supported for doing so or I'm walking out.
A line I have used many times.."COACH HOW MUCH YOU PAYING US FOR TONIGHT'S GAME? NOTHING..THEN COACH YOU CAN'T COMPLAIN
Old Sat Sep 12, 2015, 11:02pm
C'mon man!!

And if I were the assigner on this game, I would tell the league director to not try and do my officials job. I would send that referee back the first opportunity I could and I would be there to support their actions. (as long as they are supportable. If the league director doesn't like the experienced well qualified officials I am sending then he can find them somewhere else.
Old Sat Sep 12, 2015, 11:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Your job isn't to show people up, though. The loud warning was unnecessary and you have to expect a bit more mouth from adults than HS kids.

He said "call it both ways" on the way off the court? Big deal. Put the ball back in play.

That said, leagues should be backing their officials in public. No excuse for that.
Old Sun Sep 13, 2015, 11:28am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
At that point, I'm walking out and not coming back. They can finish the game with one. I'm also sending an email to other officials strongly advising them against working for him. Whether they take that advice or not is not my concern.

This is why I largely avoid wreck ball. I don't even thing about doing any adult league. We are not paid enough to pander to greedy league organizers who have no clue what our job is about.
If I'm the partner, I'm walking out with him, never working this league again, and I've got my assigner on the phone before I start my car.
Old Sun Sep 13, 2015, 12:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
We basically had the same conversation in the hall trying to pled my case but it was to no avail.

It was the craziest thing I had ever seen.
I'm still trying to figure out why you stuck around to plead your case to someone you say is an ignoramus.

He is not the assignor, so why did you feel you need to plead with him? You should have been sitting in your car by then, informing the assignor what had happened.
Old Sun Sep 13, 2015, 06:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
So I was doing my first game of the season tonight at a local men's wreck league.
That is all I need to know.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 17, 2015, 04:41pm
C'mon man!!

Yeah for sure. No skin off my back. Let's get on with the real season.

And this is for everyone, what do you say to let the rest of the players know you are done listening to the whining? What is better than what I said. I would like to add it to my verbiage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Thu Sep 17, 2015, 05:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Yeah for sure. No skin off my back. Let's get on with the real season.

And this is for everyone, what do you say to let the rest of the players know you are done listening to the whining? What is better than what I said. I would like to add it to my verbiage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By the timed you've T'ed one player up there is no need to warn the rest. If they haven't received the message by then they are pretty dense.

Prior to handing out any T's I would do it while administering free throws. A simple "I'm done" or "We're not listening to any more" is all that's needed.
Old Fri Sep 18, 2015, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
By the timed you've T'ed one player up there is no need to warn the rest. If they haven't received the message by then they are pretty dense.

Prior to handing out any T's I would do it while administering free throws. A simple "I'm done" or "We're not listening to any more" is all that's needed.
I like "That's enough". It's short but it does not imply an ultimatum either.

I would never warn a player who has already received a technical foul. After a technical, I will let the player or coach say a few things (within reason) because they are obviously frustrated. If they can't reel themselves in, they will pick up technical #2; which will often come from a partner.
Old Fri Sep 18, 2015, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

"I've heard enough, and that's your warning."
Old Fri Sep 18, 2015, 11:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
I like "That's enough". It's short but it does not imply an ultimatum either.

I would never warn a player who has already received a technical foul. After a technical, I will let the player or coach say a few things (within reason) because they are obviously frustrated. If they can't reel themselves in, they will pick up technical #2; which will often come from a partner.
The baseball line is, "Knock it off."
Old Fri Sep 18, 2015, 06:31pm
Barely $.02 cents worth

My barely $.02 cents worth. . .

Every official has their own his/her level of tolerance. If you felt you were past your own level of tolerance and it warranted a technical foul to the player, then that's great. I think the only thing that could've been done better was where to talk to the player or any of his team after that. . .that is not the time to engage with anyone. Just tell them "Not right now" or "I'll get back to you later" if they wanted to talk about it. . .

Technical fouls call themselves, if its obvious and that player(s), coach, whatever is trying to show you or your partner up - they wrote the check so go ahead and cash it. . .

That being said, to the poster who stated they wouldn't address or tech a player calling him a cheater. For me, that's non-basketball and basically, questioning an official's integrity, so whether its in passing or out loud, the very least they would get from me is a technical. What we permit as stripes, we're basically promoting as well. . .

On the side note, that league sounds like its not worth your time or gas to be there, so I'm sure there are plenty of other leagues or games to be officiated. . .

Move on.
Old Mon Sep 21, 2015, 11:35am
NFHS Official

That's enough, no more.