The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I got thrown out of the game!!! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100092-i-got-thrown-out-game.html)

Sharpshooternes Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:00pm

I got thrown out of the game!!!

So I was doing my first game of the season tonight at a local men's wreck league. (I know, I know, there's the problem right there). It is a league with decent ball with ex college and semi pro players. Before the game the league director said to make sure to keep the game in control. I said alright sounds good. Everything was going just fine during the game the occasional whine about a call/no call but nothing excessive.
About half way through the 1st half both me and my partner warn blue 34 to quit complaining about an easy call. He carries on for a moment or two. No other real issues.

Well half way through the second half this same player is getting a bit chippy. I look at one of my partners and give him the watch blue 34 signal, sure enough, we get him for an easy illegal screen for sticking a leg out.

That is his fourth foul and he goes off whining lol the way to the bench sits down and says, "call it both ways.." I naturally serve a cup of T and go about my business. One of his teammates tries to defend him and I told him he had already been warned and he kept running his mouth so he got a technical, and then loudly to everyone else, "and this serves as everyone else's warning." No one complained after that or disagreed and even his teammate knew he deserved the T.

Next play the kid on the bench is still mouthing off. I calmly told him, "I can give you another and you can leave if you want." The league organizer who is also serving as the scorekeeper says, "you are out of control." :eek::confused:
I'm like, "for what?"
"I can see you giving him a T for saying 'F&$@ing call it both ways' but not for jut saying 'call it both ways.'"
"I had warned him once already and he is still running his mouth that is a technical foul."
"Remember what I said at the beginning of the game?"
"Yeah keep it under control." (The game was very much under control up until this point.)
"Well you can leave, you are out of control.":rolleyes:
I was pretty incredulous at this point at what was going on.
We basically had the same conversation in the hall trying to pled my case but it was to no avail.

It was the craziest thing I had ever seen.

Rich Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:09pm

I would make sure I took as many officials as I could with me. I hope you got paid.

Sharpshooternes Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 966562)
I would make sure I took as many officials as I could with me. I hope you got paid.

I thought about it after the fact. I'll find out in a week or two.

Welpe Fri Sep 11, 2015 01:20am

Did your partner go with you?

Sounds like that in all reality he did you a favor.

AremRed Fri Sep 11, 2015 01:49am

This is a reminder that league directors and commissioners do not care about the game or you.

They only care about getting players to continue coming back and paying money to play, and they will throw you under the bus in order to accomplish that goal.

refstar Fri Sep 11, 2015 02:11am

Hi all - long time lurker, decided to come out ;)

Clearly that moron doesn't understand the rules of the game. Once a game has started, he has no right to do anything other than watch. Yep, at the end he can toss you out on your ear, but until then all he can do is shut his cakehole :) I would have thrown him out first :D

Sorry to hear you were treated so poorly.

BillyMac Fri Sep 11, 2015 06:55am

Call It Both Ways ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes (Post 966560)
... "call it both ways.."

Player-speak, and coach-speak, for, "You're cheating", which cannot be ignored. This must always be addressed with either a warning, or a technical foul, depending on the circumstances.

deecee Fri Sep 11, 2015 07:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 966562)

What Rich said.

In my younger days when I did wreck ball something similar happened (twice in my career). First game of a 4 game set. Midway through the first half a player was being a pain in the rear and after two warnings I T him up. He takes the ball and chucks it to the other side of the gyms and so I toss him. The organizer says that I already gave him a T and to let him vent. I told him to find another ref and to take me off his schedule and left.

At that point I knew my wreck ball officiating career was coming to a close and I haven't looked back. For the last 8 or 9 years I will not work any kind of adult leagues or unsanctioned events. I only do AAU tournaments where I trust the assignor is fair and just.

SC Official Fri Sep 11, 2015 08:28am

At that point, I'm walking out and not coming back. They can finish the game with one. I'm also sending an email to other officials strongly advising them against working for him. Whether they take that advice or not is not my concern.

This is why I largely avoid wreck ball. I don't even thing about doing any adult league. We are not paid enough to pander to greedy league organizers who have no clue what our job is about.

Rich Fri Sep 11, 2015 08:50am

Way back in 1995 I was living in Tennessee, where we were forced to work preseason jamborees (scrimmages) for free.

(BTW, this is an evil practice. Here schools hire scrimmage officials and pay us the same they pay us for games.)

So I show up, I start working, and one of the coaches is already in late-season form, bitching and complaining on every call. Finally I told him I had enough. He told me that he's going to do what he wants and there's nothing I can do about it.

So I walked over to the table and started changing my shoes. Coach said, "where are you going?" I told him there was one thing I can do -- I'm leaving.

Partner came over and begged me to stay. I told him he should be leaving, too, but if he wants to stay and work alone, have at it. Didn't like the guy and he thought he'd make me look bad and earn Brownie points for staying, so he did.

Our supervisor opened up the next meeting with a 10 minute rant -- it included praise for what I did, ripping the other guy for staying, and explicit instructions that if anything like this ever happened again that officials are to "put the ball on the table and go to the house."

SC Official Fri Sep 11, 2015 09:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 966573)
Way back in 1995 I was living in Tennessee, where we were forced to work preseason jamborees (scrimmages) for free.

(BTW, this is an evil practice. Here schools hire scrimmage officials and pay us the same they pay us for games.)

So I show up, I start working, and one of the coaches is already in late-season form, bitching and complaining on every call. Finally I told him I had enough. He told me that he's going to do what he wants and there's nothing I can do about it.

So I walked over to the table and started changing my shoes. Coach said, "where are you going?" I told him there was one thing I can do -- I'm leaving.

Partner came over and begged me to stay. I told him he should be leaving, too, but if he wants to stay and work alone, have at it. Didn't like the guy and he thought he'd make me look bad and earn Brownie points for staying, so he did.

Our supervisor opened up the next meeting with a 10 minute rant -- it included praise for what I did, ripping the other guy for staying, and explicit instructions that if anything like this ever happened again that officials are to "put the ball on the table and go to the house."

I would have done the same thing you did. We are not paid for scrimmages in South Carolina, but we are permitted to call Ts and supported when we do so (at least one was given in the scrimmages I had to work last year). I will not take crap when I'm not being paid, and I don't know why anyone would quite frankly. Sorry, not happening. I'm either serving T and being supported for doing so or I'm walking out.

Hugh Refner Fri Sep 11, 2015 09:07am

"Call it both ways!"

"Sorry, I can't. I can only call it the right way."

Smitty Fri Sep 11, 2015 03:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 966569)
Player-speak, and coach-speak, for, "You're cheating", which cannot be ignored. This must always be addressed with either a warning, or a technical foul, depending on the circumstances.

Really? For thin skinned people, maybe. That's not even going to get on my radar...just white noise.

Rich Fri Sep 11, 2015 04:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 966585)
Really? For thin skinned people, maybe. That's not even going to get on my radar...just white noise.

Yup. Meaningless coach-speak that goes in one ear and not the other. Unless it's SCREAMED at me....

BillyMac Fri Sep 11, 2015 04:34pm

Cheaters Never Prosper ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 966569)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 966585)

Absolutely not an automatic technical foul, but I won't ignore it. If I'm not calling it both ways, then I must be only calling only one way, for only one team, and that's paramount to calling me a cheater, and I don't like being called a cheater, even in a passing remark.

Usually when questioned about this a coach will come back with, "Well I only wanted to point out that the last three close calls went their way, I'm not calling you a cheater, just venting a little".

To which I reply, "I'm calling them as I see them. Please vent in some other manner".

And that usually takes care of the issue. Of course my thirty-four years of experience, the fact that I've been around the block several times, the fact that the coach knows that that game is not my first rodeo, and that I have a headful of gray hair, often helps me win my point.

Most coaches don't really understand the ramifications of, "Call it both ways". Once they realize how this statement can be perceived, or misinterpreted, by an official, they will usually back off.

Rarely, a coach will really mean, "You're cheating my team", and those rare situations can be dealt with with a cup of tea.