The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 24, 2015, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Thrown Bat

NFHS & ASA: What are the thrown bat penalties?
Old Fri Apr 24, 2015, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Both nfhs and asa if it is done in anger it is an ejection. In nfhs a thrown bat is a team warning and next instance is a restriction to the bench . if a thrown bat interfere with a fielders ability to make a play on the batted ball it is interference in both nfhs and asa.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2015, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Both nfhs and asa if it is done in anger it is an ejection. In nfhs a thrown bat is a team warning and next instance is a restriction to the bench . if a thrown bat interfere with a fielders ability to make a play on the batted ball it is interference in both nfhs and asa.
To clarify for NFHS. (Rules 3-6-3 and 3-6-16)

If done deliberately (doesn't use the words "in anger"), then the penalty is ejection, with the umpire given the option of a warning to the player if judged to be "of a minor nature", with the player ejected if the act is repeated.

If done "carelessly", the penalty is a team warning with the next offender on the team restricted to the bench.

(And, of course, the penalty for interference in both cases if that applies.)
Old Fri Apr 24, 2015, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

To add on:

One of the still-remaining myths of the game is that umpires can call a batter out for throwing a bat; that is only true if it interferes with a play. It doesn't matter that it hit the catcher or the umpire, or if you have warned them. But, so many rec leagues have rules aout it that people believe there is such a rule.

You also cannot use the God rule which only applies when/if there is no specfic ruling. It is not an out, you cannot make it one. You can eject/restrict the player if 1) done deliberately, 2) done carelessly, or 3) endangers another player. Personally, I prefer referencing #3, if a repeat performance.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2015, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

I hate that so many people think there's a penalty for this. It's worse than the hands are part of the bat myth.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Apr 24, 2015, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting technicality from the way the NFHS rules are written...

Case 1:

2nd inning, player A deliberately throws her bat, but it is well clear of anyone, and while deliberate, it was judged to be a minor infraction by the PU. PU warns the player. 4th inning, player B accidentally throws her bat. PU issues a team warning.

Case 2:

2nd inning, player A accidently throws her bat. PU issues a team warning. 4th inning, player B accidentally throws her bat. PU restricts player B to the bench.
Old Sat Apr 25, 2015, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

We actually had a warning issued on this yesterday by the plate umpire. Batter carelessly released a bat back towards the on deck circle where it hit the leg of her team mate. The umpire issued a warning for throwing the bat.

I did have an ejection/restriction for a thrown bat in Rec ball (6th grade) a couple years ago. Warned the girl on her first at bat. Warned her again on her second at bat. Third at bat the bat comes out of her hands and comes back to hit the catch. After the play I went down to the head coach (and told her he needed a replacement runner for the last batter). The coach understood, by I thought I was going to have the child's father come on the field to protest. Our rules say ejection, but it is poorly worded and the ejection related suspension was overturned (Ejected = suspended 1 game). The rule was then changed to require a restriction to the dugout, not an ejection.

Two seasons ago I thought I was going to have an interference call on a thrown bat interference until I realized the batter was holding the handle of the bat as she came down to first. The composite bat (which was brand new), separated and the barrel went flying with the handle in the batters hand. That took some explaining to the defensive coach who was PO'ed that interference wasn't called when his F5 got hit while fielding a ground ball.

We had a pissed parent in that game too. Pissed that the new $300.00 bat he bought his DD broke very quickly.