The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 24, 2014, 05:55pm
Veteran College Umpire

Trick Play Penalties?

Is there any penalty for pulling the hidden ball trick (other than a balk if the pitcher screws it up) in FED?
How about the "Miami" play - pitcher fakes a pickoff throw, fielders all scramble after the imaginary ball, and then when the runner takes off he's tagged out?
I'm fishing for unsportsmanlike conduct here - is there anything to it?

JJ
Old Thu Apr 24, 2014, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Why do you feel that legal trickery is unsportsmanlike?

The hidden ball trick, is very difficult to pull off legally, but it can be done. It is up to the offensive team to be aware of where the ball is at all times.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Apr 24, 2014, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Is there any penalty for pulling the hidden ball trick (other than a balk if the pitcher screws it up) in FED?
How about the "Miami" play - pitcher fakes a pickoff throw, fielders all scramble after the imaginary ball, and then when the runner takes off he's tagged out?

JJ
Fishing is right.

All play is legal unless something proves otherwise.
Old Fri Apr 25, 2014, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

JJ
Nothing to see here. Move along.
Old Fri Apr 25, 2014, 07:20pm
Veteran College Umpire

Thanks, all. I'm not in the FED loop anymore so I couldn't give a solid answer when the question was asked.

JJ
Old Fri Apr 25, 2014, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Don't need to be in FED loop, nothing here in any rule set.
Old Fri Apr 25, 2014, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't recommend fishing for violations just because something looks bad or unorthodox.

Off the top of my head the one instance of an illegal act while executing a "trick play" I can think of is: "The pitcher, without having the ball, stands on or astride the pitcher’s plate (8.05 I ) " is a balk.

Also, as an umpire, after a dead ball the pitcher has to posess the ball on the rubber before you (the UIC) can make the ball live again. Always watch for the ball. That would sometimes preclude a "trick play".

Other than those 2 things, play on.
Old Sun Apr 27, 2014, 07:06am
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Don't need to be in FED loop, nothing here in any rule set.
I know what the NCAA and OBR rules are, but haven't done FED for a couple of years, which is why I specifically asked about FED. Thanks.

JJ
Old Sun Apr 27, 2014, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know what the NCAA and OBR rules are, but haven't done FED for a couple of years, which is why I specifically asked about FED. Thanks.

JJ
And what are the NCAA and OBR penalties? Are they different from FED?
Old Sun Apr 27, 2014, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyChiefBlue View Post
By the written rules? no.

Bu the unwritten rules? Maybe.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
By the written rules? no.

Bu the unwritten rules? Maybe.
I'm sorry, I didn't add my sarcasm to my previous comment. My comment was directed at JJ, as he said he knows the NCAA and OBR rules. I don't know what rules there are to penalize a trick play in any code of baseball.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 02:43pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
I'm sorry, I didn't add my sarcasm to my previous comment. My comment was directed at JJ, as he said he knows the NCAA and OBR rules. I don't know what rules there are to penalize a trick play in any code of baseball.
If memory serves, there's an OBR case play (which I believe is based upon an actual occurrence) where F1 stepped off and then faked a pickoff throw to first base, and someone from the first base dugout threw a ball down right field foul territory. I believe the ruling was for the person who threw the ball and/or the manager to be ejected for unsporting conduct.

Now that I think of it, perhaps it was a peeled potato that was thrown out of the dugout......
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
If memory serves, there's an OBR case play (which I believe is based upon an actual occurrence) where F1 stepped off and then faked a pickoff throw to first base, and someone from the first base dugout threw a ball down right field foul territory. I believe the ruling was for the person who threw the ball and/or the manager to be ejected for unsporting conduct.

Now that I think of it, perhaps it was a peeled potato that was thrown out of the dugout......
It was a catcher, who had spirited one out to his position.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2014, 04:31pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:

There are no penalties in NCAA and OBR. Well, maybe a ball in the ear at some point...

JJ
Old Tue Apr 29, 2014, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

I saw this once: (high school game)

A 1st and 3rd situation. R1 stealing. The catcher receives the pitch, comes up throwing and actually throws the white-colored sponge that he kept in his catcher's mitt. The runner on 3rd, thinking that the ball was being thrown, broke for the plate. But, obviously, the catcher still had the ball. He was caught in a rundown.

I was working the bases when this happened. My partner (the PU) simply killed the play and made all the runners go back. He admonished the catcher - and play continued. I don't think that was technically the correct ruling, but everybody seemed happy with it.