The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Trick play

I saw an unusual play in a local high school game on TV: 4th down. Team A in punt formation near left hash mark. Most of the players break formation and walk toward right sideline as if they were going to bring on the offense and "go for it". Instead of leaving the field, they "set" at the far right side of the field. Two players remain where the ball is. One snaps to the other, who laterals toward the men at the right side of the field. The play backfires when the lateral is intercepted by team B...

My question is this: Can an end snap the ball? Or did I overlook another player lined up left of the ball?
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 09:55am
Do not give a damn!!

Anyone on the line can snap the ball on the line and any number can snap the ball as long as they do it legally.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

First year on a football field?

This is a common "trick" formation that, if done right, is legal. You still need the right number on the line - don't forget to check that. I probably see this 3-4 times a year (more commonly on FG attempts or PAT's, but occasionally on punts) ... and it seems some college tries it every once in a while and it ends up on ESPN (more often it results in a time out for the defense!)

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

The way this is being described there is an attempt to use a substitution to deceive the opponent. That is a foul. If it was just a simple shift of 9 players then there is no issue. If there are no players coming on the field (which I assume there aren't) then this is just a shift and legal assuming they have 7 players on the LOS and five of them are numbered 50-79.
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
The way this is being described there is an attempt to use a substitution to deceive the opponent. That is a foul. If it was just a simple shift of 9 players then there is no issue. If there are no players coming on the field (which I assume there aren't) then this is just a shift and legal assuming they have 7 players on the LOS and five of them are numbered 50-79.
This would only be a foul if it was coupled with people coming on at the same time. No substitution is taking place here - this play is completely legal.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

That depends MD, if there is a lot of talk of getting off the field or other comments then it could be deemed illegal.

COMMENT: Football has been and
always will be a game of deception and trickery involving multiple shifts, unusual formations and creative plays. However, actions or verbiage designed to confuse the defense into believing there is problem and a snap isn’t imminent is
beyond the scope of sportsmanship and is illegal.
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
That depends MD, if there is a lot of talk of getting off the field or other comments then it could be deemed illegal.

COMMENT: Football has been and
always will be a game of deception and trickery involving multiple shifts, unusual formations and creative plays. However, actions or verbiage designed to confuse the defense into believing there is problem and a snap isn’t imminent is
beyond the scope of sportsmanship and is illegal.
True. If you change the play entirely and add things not posted --- the ruling could be different. As usual.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
This would only be a foul if it was coupled with people coming on at the same time. No substitution is taking place here - this play is completely legal.
I agree but his original post stated:

Quote:
Most of the players break formation and walk toward right sideline as if they were going to bring on the offense and "go for it".
I'm not sure how it would appear they were being subbed without players coming on the field at the same time but these were his words.
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Looks like to me that you are describing the "Swinging Gate Formation" --- A LEGAL Formation!!!
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking of which, is the snapper on the end of the line (if he has an eligible number) an eligble recevier as well..?
Old Wed Aug 28, 2013, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehat View Post
Speaking of which, is the snapper on the end of the line (if he has an eligible number) an eligble recevier as well..?
Yes as long as he's not covered. This only applies on 4th down or a try though. If it's 1st, 2nd or 3rd down and they are attempting a FG (think last play of a half), then any numbering exceptions have to be an interior lineman and they are the only allowed exception.
Old Thu Aug 29, 2013, 05:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
walk toward right sideline as if they were going to bring on the offense and "go for it"

Something in this part of the OP tells me there was more going on than guys getting in the old muddle huddle/swinging gate formation.

I guess you HTBT!