The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 09, 2014, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Trick play?

ASA rules. R1 on 2nd. Count 2-1. Next pitch is a ball. B2 then takes off for first, defense throws ball around, R1 comes around to score, B2 is standing on 2nd. Umpires said they called B2 back to the plate to bat and allowed run to score. Right call?

Wasn't there a rule clarification or case play about something very similar?

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2014, 04:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIUmp View Post
ASA rules. R1 on 2nd. Count 2-1. Next pitch is a ball. B2 then takes off for first, defense throws ball around, R1 comes around to score, B2 is standing on 2nd. Umpires said they called B2 back to the plate to bat and allowed run to score. Right call?

ASA I believe it would be a dead ball interference call, if the plays intent was to cause confusion to the defense. Unfortunately I'm speaking off the top of my head, I can't site a rule, with ASA there's a interference call for purposely confusing the defense.

Last edited by roadking; Thu Apr 10, 2014 at 05:04am.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2014, 06:23am
Official Forum Member

The ASA clarification that came out a couple of years ago was if the play caused obvious confusion to call time and bring the batter back to bat and put the runner back at the base they were on. Do a search on here, was a huge discussion on it.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2014, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ASA rules. R1 on 2nd. Count 2-1. Next pitch is a ball. B2 then takes off for first,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
The ASA clarification that came out a couple of years ago was if the play caused obvious confusion to call time and bring the batter back to bat and put the runner back at the base they were on. Do a search on here, was a huge discussion on it.
Without trying to look it up, IIRC the ASA "ruling" which caused so much discussion / controversy here was because they wanted the umpire to kill the ball at the point my quote of the OP ends, as preventative umpiring to avoid the potential of confusion.

Did this ever make it to the status of a case play?

It seems to me the proper thing would be for the umpire to declare "That's only ball 3" and let the players take if from there.

There is an argument for interference here, if the batter drew the throw. I can't see an interference call based on general confusion, though. It is a live ball and the runner does have a right to attempt to advance.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2014, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Until that ruling, the ASA position was simple and understandable. The defense is/was responsible to know the situation (count, outs, etc.), has coaches that should be telling them what plays to make and when, and has every opportunity to make an easy out by making a play on the runners that are in jeopardy that we shouldn't take away. Runners that advance due to the defense not knowing the situation have stolen a base; a batter that is still at-bat is returned to complete their at-bat. It wasn't interference, and the play stood.

The new "official" ruling contradicts every other prevailing philosophy, so hard to say what is right, anymore.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2014, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Just where and why is the defense throwing the ball anywhere, but back to the pitcher on a supposed walk and a runner on 2B?

Nonetheless, I'm a firm believer you do not coach the teams and let it play out. The most the umpire should do is direct the batter to the box and rule a strike if not prepared to hit within 10 seconds. But that is just my opinion.
Old Fri Apr 11, 2014, 07:02am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Just where and why is the defense throwing the ball anywhere, but back to the pitcher on a supposed walk and a runner on 2B?
That's what I was wondering. If the defense is throwing the ball around in this scenario, shame on it. Where would the first throw go? If the batter is trying to fool the defense into thinking it's Ball Four, then the catcher should simply be tossing the ball back to the pitcher. The only possible play I could envision is a pick-off back to second base, and the batter's action has no bearing on that.

If I were the PU, I would simply say, "That's Ball Three." No different than saying, "Batter's Out," when she takes off for first base on an uncaught third strike but she cannot advance. I don't consider that coaching; coaching would be saying something like, "Catcher, don't throw the ball since she can't advance."
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Apr 11, 2014, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
If I were the PU, I would simply say, "That's Ball Three." No different than saying, "Batter's Out," when she takes off for first base on an uncaught third strike but she cannot advance. I don't consider that coaching; coaching would be saying something like, "Catcher, don't throw the ball since she can't advance."
Neither would I, but that isn't what has been offered. To me, calling time and stopping play so no one's feeling are hurt could be considered coaching as you may be depriving one or both teams the opportunity to advance/retire runners within the confines of the rules.