The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Trick Play Penalties? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/97802-trick-play-penalties.html)

JJ Thu Apr 24, 2014 05:55pm

Trick Play Penalties?

Is there any penalty for pulling the hidden ball trick (other than a balk if the pitcher screws it up) in FED?
How about the "Miami" play - pitcher fakes a pickoff throw, fielders all scramble after the imaginary ball, and then when the runner takes off he's tagged out?
I'm fishing for unsportsmanlike conduct here - is there anything to it?

JJ

RPatrino Thu Apr 24, 2014 06:50pm

Why do you feel that legal trickery is unsportsmanlike?

The hidden ball trick, is very difficult to pull off legally, but it can be done. It is up to the offensive team to be aware of where the ball is at all times.

Matt Thu Apr 24, 2014 07:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 932615)
Is there any penalty for pulling the hidden ball trick (other than a balk if the pitcher screws it up) in FED?
How about the "Miami" play - pitcher fakes a pickoff throw, fielders all scramble after the imaginary ball, and then when the runner takes off he's tagged out?

JJ

Fishing is right.

All play is legal unless something proves otherwise.

bob jenkins Fri Apr 25, 2014 08:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 932615)

JJ

Nothing to see here. Move along.

JJ Fri Apr 25, 2014 07:20pm

Thanks, all. I'm not in the FED loop anymore so I couldn't give a solid answer when the question was asked.

JJ

DG Fri Apr 25, 2014 07:47pm

Don't need to be in FED loop, nothing here in any rule set.

rbmartin Fri Apr 25, 2014 09:42pm

I wouldn't recommend fishing for violations just because something looks bad or unorthodox.

Off the top of my head the one instance of an illegal act while executing a "trick play" I can think of is: "The pitcher, without having the ball, stands on or astride the pitcher’s plate (8.05 I ) " is a balk.

Also, as an umpire, after a dead ball the pitcher has to posess the ball on the rubber before you (the UIC) can make the ball live again. Always watch for the ball. That would sometimes preclude a "trick play".

Other than those 2 things, play on.

JJ Sun Apr 27, 2014 07:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 932695)
Don't need to be in FED loop, nothing here in any rule set.

I know what the NCAA and OBR rules are, but haven't done FED for a couple of years, which is why I specifically asked about FED. Thanks.

JJ

NavyChiefBlue Sun Apr 27, 2014 07:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 932725)
I know what the NCAA and OBR rules are, but haven't done FED for a couple of years, which is why I specifically asked about FED. Thanks.

JJ

And what are the NCAA and OBR penalties? Are they different from FED?

bob jenkins Sun Apr 27, 2014 08:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NavyChiefBlue (Post 932764)

By the written rules? no.

Bu the unwritten rules? Maybe. ;)

NavyChiefBlue Mon Apr 28, 2014 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 932768)
By the written rules? no.

Bu the unwritten rules? Maybe. ;)

I'm sorry, I didn't add my sarcasm to my previous comment. My comment was directed at JJ, as he said he knows the NCAA and OBR rules. I don't know what rules there are to penalize a trick play in any code of baseball.

Manny A Mon Apr 28, 2014 02:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NavyChiefBlue (Post 932814)
I'm sorry, I didn't add my sarcasm to my previous comment. My comment was directed at JJ, as he said he knows the NCAA and OBR rules. I don't know what rules there are to penalize a trick play in any code of baseball.

If memory serves, there's an OBR case play (which I believe is based upon an actual occurrence) where F1 stepped off and then faked a pickoff throw to first base, and someone from the first base dugout threw a ball down right field foul territory. I believe the ruling was for the person who threw the ball and/or the manager to be ejected for unsporting conduct.

Now that I think of it, perhaps it was a peeled potato that was thrown out of the dugout......:p

Matt Mon Apr 28, 2014 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 932850)
If memory serves, there's an OBR case play (which I believe is based upon an actual occurrence) where F1 stepped off and then faked a pickoff throw to first base, and someone from the first base dugout threw a ball down right field foul territory. I believe the ruling was for the person who threw the ball and/or the manager to be ejected for unsporting conduct.

Now that I think of it, perhaps it was a peeled potato that was thrown out of the dugout......:p

It was a catcher, who had spirited one out to his position.

JJ Mon Apr 28, 2014 04:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NavyChiefBlue (Post 932814)

There are no penalties in NCAA and OBR. Well, maybe a ball in the ear at some point... :D

JJ

David Emerling Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:35pm

I saw this once: (high school game)

A 1st and 3rd situation. R1 stealing. The catcher receives the pitch, comes up throwing and actually throws the white-colored sponge that he kept in his catcher's mitt. The runner on 3rd, thinking that the ball was being thrown, broke for the plate. But, obviously, the catcher still had the ball. He was caught in a rundown.

I was working the bases when this happened. My partner (the PU) simply killed the play and made all the runners go back. He admonished the catcher - and play continued. I don't think that was technically the correct ruling, but everybody seemed happy with it.