The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 15, 2014, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

DH Question....

DH is batting for F7 to start the game. In the 4th they want F7 to hit for himself (removes the DH spot). in the 6th, F7 reaches first and they want to pinch run for him and then have him re-enter...can he re-enter? I said yes and neither team had an issue with it but can't find anything in the rule/case book to make it clear for me.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2014, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
DH is batting for F7 to start the game. In the 4th they want F7 to hit for himself (removes the DH spot). in the 6th, F7 reaches first and they want to pinch run for him and then have him re-enter...can he re-enter? I said yes and neither team had an issue with it but can't find anything in the rule/case book to make it clear for me.
NFHS 3-1-3&4 cover the re-entry of a starting player( including DH) and the restrictions about using a DH.

In your case F7 was a starter for which the DH was hitting for. In accordance with art 4, once F7 entered the game the role of DH was suspended. A substitute for F7 entered as a pinch runner. he is a starter so in accordance with Art 3 he is eligible to re-enter the game in the same position he was batting. The substitute is permanently out of the game then.

If they were to bring the DH back into the game he would be eligible however F7 would be out of the game permanently because he is batting in the ONLY spot the DH can return in.

Also see case plays 3.1.3 (Sit A&B) and 3.1.4 (Sit a, B, C & D)

Compared to college DH rule, this is like remembering how to ride a bike.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2014, 03:28pm
🤔😹

Yes...

I saw this in another forum, couldn't get the link to it but for now:
"You can lose the DH, but not the player; example: Bubba, the DH is batting for Slim.
Bubba walks, but pulls a muscle from walking too fast.
Slim pinch-runs for Bubba. The DH is gone, but Bubba being a starter, could still re-enter and pinch-hit for Slim.
Slim could then re-enter (his first pinch-running was not considered "re-entry) and pinch run for Bubba.
Old Sat Mar 15, 2014, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Separate the ROLE of the DH from the PLAYER who was the DH, and this becoves (relatively) easy to understand and apply.
Old Sun Mar 16, 2014, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Thanks fellas...

That is pretty much what I did Bob but sometimes I overthink the DH situations.

I let the kid re-enter so everyhting was done by the book but just like the reassurance sometimes!
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 11:54am
Medium Kahuna

Another approach: the DH and player he bats for are both starters (so have re-entry privilege) and both IN the game at the same time, one on offense, one on defense.

If the role of DH is terminated, one player is now OUT of the game (even though no sub has entered). In the OP, when F7 batted for himself, the DH is OUT of the game (and may re-enter).

F7 remains IN the game (now on both offense and defense) until he is subbed for in the 6th. Once he is OUT of the game, he may re-enter.

With S1 in the game in that spot in the lineup, the coach has 3 choices to put players in that spot: another sub, F7, or the original DH (who would have to play defense as well).