The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 20, 2013, 01:34pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Both of those would be considerations in the OP as well.
I don't think the coach actually broke the rule, he just took it to his advantage per the language in the rule.

The rule could be reworded to say, "except for teams in the playoffs"

In states like Ohio, it doesn't sound like a bad idea for teams who played fewer games [not in the playoffs] to get a chance for some make-up games when the weather improves while the playoffs are in progress.

Even gives the umps a chance to make up some of the extra fees they lost due to weather.

Coach was wrong in my opinion for disrespecting the official big time though.
Old Thu Jun 20, 2013, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
I don't think the coach actually broke the rule, he just took it to his advantage per the language in the rule.
I think we all agree on that. We also think that what he did was "wrong" (even if it was "legal") -- this was not the time to be looking for a loophole in the rule.
Old Thu Jun 20, 2013, 02:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I think we all agree on that. We also think that what he did was "wrong" (even if it was "legal") -- this was not the time to be looking for a loophole in the rule.
+1

This is a coach failing to take advantage of an opportunity to teach his players a valuable life lesson. Instead, he's essentially making excuses for them.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2013, 05:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
That would be true, but you always seem to get on the side of the fence that suits your agenda at the moment...........seen it too many times in the past...........instead of a discussion, you have axes you want to grind.
I have no idea what this means.

Seems to me that I've heard this before in this thread.....

Tim.
Old Sat Jun 22, 2013, 06:45pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
I have no idea what this means.

Seems to me that I've heard this before in this thread.....

Tim.
Don't know what you're reading, but that answer was pretty poignant, and straight forward as they come.
Old Sun Jun 23, 2013, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Do the Ohio rules allow scheduling of games during the state tourney? If the answer is yes than the coach was following the letter of the rules.

I know a team that tried this in Michigan several years ago. They had a player ejected on a Tuesday during a pre-district game.
The MHSAA's suspension is one game date, so the team rescheduled a double header for Thursday (to replace a single game rainout), which the offending player was forced to sit out.

What the school did not realize was that they royally screwed up in doing so. The MHSAA uses a point system, 1 point per date of competition, and 1 point for each game played. The single game rainout would have been 2 points. The rescheduled DH was 3 points (2 games, plus the date). After the team lost its district semi-final game, it was pointed out to the AD that had they won the game, the opposing team would have notified the state immediately of a points violation, and thus the offending team would be removed from the playoffs. In Michigan teams are allowed 56 total points. The single game scheduled would have been 56, but when they scheduled the DH in stead of a single game, that put them at 57 points, and in violation.

We also had a team miss a tourney final a few years ago because of a similar points issue. They had not expected to make the championship game of a big tourney. The coach, before the final realized that if they played they would be 1 point over the limit, and thus forced to miss the post-season. Since they could not remove any later games from the schedule (all in conference games), they had to withdraw from the tourney final and hand the championship to the opponent unopposed.
Old Mon Jun 24, 2013, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Do the Ohio rules allow scheduling of games during the state tourney? If the answer is yes than the coach was following the letter of the rules.
Yes. The relevant regulation is quoted further up this thread.
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 09:40am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
..instead of a discussion, you have axes you want to grind.
And you don't?

Your continued need to badger people over past things is getting old.
Old Wed Jun 26, 2013, 11:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Meyer View Post
Don't know what you're reading, but that answer was pretty poignant, and straight forward as they come.
Steve Meyer and Steven Tyler. Sad that you have to use two user accounts to tag team another member.

Enjoy your vacation...together.

--Rich
Closed Thread