The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 09, 2013, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

fair or foul

16U High school rules Batter hits a shot down the right field line. Base umpire calls the ball foul and indicates with his arm ball is foul. RF slows his pursuit of the ball and then home plate umpire starts yelling "fair" "fair". Batter makes it all the way to 3rd before the RF can make a play. Needless to say lots of arguing but no ejections.

Final outcome is play stands. Fair ball with runner on third. How should the umpires handle the double call?
Old Sun Jun 09, 2013, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Shoot the PU for making a call not his.
Old Sun Jun 09, 2013, 08:04pm
Veteran College Umpire

No ejections?

JJ
Old Sun Jun 09, 2013, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Once called foul, a ball is always foul. Mostly...

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sun Jun 09, 2013, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Under FED, it remains a foul ball.

Under NCAA, place the runner where you think he would have ende dup had the ball been called fair initially (I'm assuming here that the ball really was fair.)
Old Mon Jun 10, 2013, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

What happened when the coach protested the incorrect application of rule?

(I also wonder what happened when UIC learned he has an umpire who would EVER say the word "Fair" out loud)

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 10, 2013, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

How about the opposite situation, U3 signals fair ball and it is clearly foul according to the HP partner (who commented as such after we walked off the field), once play is concluded the 3B coach ask U3 to go for help and U3 says he saw it clearly. Coach now goes to HP and asks him to offer his info to his partner but HP says the call will stand since he will not offer unless asked by U3 who is not going to ask for it. Should HP step up and correct the call if he truly feels U3 kicked it or should the crew just live with U3's call? Granted, U3 could have taken the opportunity to go for help but he chose not to. FYI, this was a 16U championship game ending play. Hell, I was U1 and it sure looked foul from my crappy angle across the diamond, lol.
Old Mon Jun 10, 2013, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

xtremeump

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post

(I also wonder what happened when UIC learned he has an umpire who would EVER say the word "Fair" out loud)
I would have been ejected...

Last edited by xtremeump; Mon Jun 10, 2013 at 10:13pm.
Old Mon Jun 10, 2013, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeump View Post
Hey Tex, what is the incorrect application of what rule ???
In FED rules, it is not allowed to change a foul ball to fair.
Old Mon Jun 10, 2013, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up xtremeump

Quote:

Never say never, I know it is never said but I had an Umpire that needed to say that's a fair ball in a Varsity ball game. The ball came off the bat over the dish and the F2 hopped up to get it and just threw the ball back to F1. The PU is pointing fair and nothing happened, so he yelled that's a fair ball...
Old Tue Jun 11, 2013, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmoz View Post
How about the opposite situation, U3 signals fair ball and it is clearly foul according to the HP partner (who commented as such after we walked off the field), once play is concluded the 3B coach ask U3 to go for help and U3 says he saw it clearly. Coach now goes to HP and asks him to offer his info to his partner but HP says the call will stand since he will not offer unless asked by U3 who is not going to ask for it. Should HP step up and correct the call if he truly feels U3 kicked it or should the crew just live with U3's call? Granted, U3 could have taken the opportunity to go for help but he chose not to. FYI, this was a 16U championship game ending play. Hell, I was U1 and it sure looked foul from my crappy angle across the diamond, lol.
If U3 saw it clearly one way, and PU saw it clearly another way --- who is to say, for sure, that one umpire's judgement is more "correct" than the other umpire's judgement? A call belongs to one umpire - for a reason.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 11, 2013, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeump View Post
Never say never, I know it is never said but I had an Umpire that needed to say that's a fair ball in a Varsity ball game. The ball came off the bat over the dish and the F2 hopped up to get it and just threw the ball back to F1. The PU is pointing fair and nothing happened, so he yelled that's a fair ball...
Then I'll stick with never. He should not have yelled a damn thing. Just stand to the side and point fair. Someone will get it eventually.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 11, 2013, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then I'll stick with never. He should not have yelled a damn thing. Just stand to the side and point fair. Someone will get it eventually.
I agree with never, even with the little kids. Had a game years ago working 10-12yr old recreation. My partner was 16 year old kid, he was PU. bases loaded no outs. Pitch hits the knob of the bat and rolls 6 feet fair toward pitcher. No one moves. My partner correctly steps out from behind the plate and points fair. Cathcher walks over and picks up the ball. Coach yells "The ump wants the ball" so the kid walks to my partner who starts walking away from player trying to hand him the ball. Finally a parent yells "RUN". 2 outs and 2 runs later, I still don't know quite what happenned. But it was fun.
Old Tue Jun 11, 2013, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

xtremeump

HTBT
Quote:
He said that's a fair ball... What is the punishment for breaking that rule and managing the game against your rule. I agree HTBT, I did not have a problem in that sitch???:
Old Tue Jun 11, 2013, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
So you yell FAIR and everyone stops, because they don't expect to hear anything but FOUL. How do you handle that?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.