The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Consequences for ejected players by state

Just curious as to how different states handle player ejections.

Do two technical fouls on the player regardless of the type disqualify them for their next game? Or does a following game ejection require unsportsmanlike T's, or Flagrants? Are hanging on the rim, and breaking the inbound plane considered unsportsmanlike T's?
Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 02:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Any ejection in my state is to be accompanied with what we call a "Special Report." Disqualifications like fouling out does not apply. And the rule here is to miss the next game at the level they were ejected or 10 days depending on which happens first.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

In these parts, a disqualified player, due to tecnicals, has to sit the next game.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 02:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
Are hanging on the rim, and breaking the inbound plane considered unsportsmanlike T's?
All technical fouls that involve no contact are considered unsporting. Again that is semantics ultimately as the result is the same as it applies to ejections.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

By definition, the 2nd T IS Flagrant.....so you'd never be ejected without it being a Flagrant T.

Even so, Oregon doesn't distinguish between why the player was ejected.

If I understand the Oregon rules correctly, a player (or coach) is ejected, they may not participate with any team until after the next game is played by the team they were on when ejected. If a Varsity player/coach, for whatever reason, was in a JV game when ejected, they'd have to sit out of all games until after the next JV game. If the Varsity team had 3 games in between, they'd miss all 3, then miss the next JV game before they would be permitted to participate.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 03:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
By definition, the 2nd T IS Flagrant.....so you'd never be ejected without it being a Flagrant T.
I have heard people say this before but I cannot find the reference that suggests a second T is a Flagrant? What about an indirect that passes the threshold and ejects a coach (e.g. Three bench Ts)?

Peace
Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 03:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Disqualified, Ejection ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
You'd never be ejected without it being a Flagrant T.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I cannot find the reference that suggests a second T is a Flagrant?
Does the NFHS still use the term "ejection" for players now that players are no longer banished to the showers. Doesn't the NFHS simply use the term "disqualified"?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 03:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

I believe in VA it's a one game suspension (and $500 fine for school if its a head coach).

Suspensions are appealable and in a player's case I'm sure they take in account what actions caused the T.

I've been the "ejector" on 3 occasions, 2 HCs and 1 player. In 2 of those cases I called both T's. In all 3 cases my commissioner asked for a short report from me to pass on to the conference's principals. In all 3 cases I make it clear that I believed the culprits actions were deserving of the pending suspsension.

I want to say they was a case locally where a player received 2 Ts and one of them was for something like dunking in warmups or grasping the rim during the game or contacting the ball during a throw-in and there was a huge debate as to whether or not the suspension should be repealed. I believe he ended up serving the suspension, which was the 1 game of the district play-offs.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 03:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Does the NFHS still use the term "ejection" for players now that players are no longer banished to the showers. Doesn't the NFHS simply use the term "disqualified"?
You are right, the NF does not use the term "ejection" they do have a definition for "Disqualified Player."

I know that on our Special Report the IHSA do uses the term "ejection" for the reason we file one.

But with that said, the NF Rulebook Definition does not say that a second technical foul is a flagrant foul. It says that a player is disqualified by either 5 personal fouls, two technical fouls or a flagrant foul. That is why I asked because it does not seem that they consider the second foul flagrant. I know it is not a big deal, but I think people get confused when you claim a second technical is flagrant when it just simply disqualified the player.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 03:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Like Me, You Really Like Me ...

Quote:
Quote:
You are right.
Oh my God. I don't know how to deal with this. This never happens to me. What am I supposed to do? Am I supposed to thank anybody? I didn't prepare a speech. Does my first correct post make me an esteemed member? I can't wait to call my Mom. Is a cash prize involved? Do I thank the little people who made this possible?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 03:46pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Oh my God. I don't know how to deal with this. This never happens to me. What am I supposed to do? Am I supposed to thank anybody? I didn't prepare a speech. Does my first correct post make me an esteemed member? I can't wait to call my Mom. Is a cash prize involved? Do I thank the little people who made this possible?
You could always ask Mark to dig in the attic and find out the last time you were right?
Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

In NY/NJ

Since I work in both states:

New York
*1st ejection = next game vs. a member school
*2nd ejection = next two games vs. member schools
*3rd ejection = done for the season

If you get into a fight you're done for as long as your league decides, up to one year.

===================

New Jersey
*1st ejection = two-game suspension
*2nd ejection within a year = four-game suspension (this includes being ejected in different sports...so if you were tossed from a baseball game in May then from a basketball game in November, you're sitting for four games in November)
*Two ejections in a season = player cannot participate in playoffs
*Three ejections for a team in a season = team cannot participate in playoffs

Your league or the NJSIAA can add on penalties if they see fit

Last edited by JetMetFan; Fri Feb 24, 2012 at 04:09pm. Reason: spelling
Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Ohio:
Players and coaches 2 game suspension and done for the rest of the day of the contest.

Coach gets a $100 fine and has to take an online test.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 04:17pm
Official & Member

Florida:

All "disqualifications" resulting from unsportsmanlike conduct (coach or player) are reported to the FHSAA in writing within 24 hours of game. State office then determines penalty depending on past history or behavior in question. I have seen as little as 1 game for a player and/or up to 6 games plus fines (usually in $250 increments) for a repeat offender coach. I don't think there is a set formula. Coach suspension will almost always include a fine to the school of $250 minimum. In case anyone's interested in the form:

https://www.fhsaa.org/webform/at6

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Fri Feb 24, 2012 at 04:24pm.
Old Fri Feb 24, 2012, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have heard people say this before but I cannot find the reference that suggests a second T is a Flagrant? What about an indirect that passes the threshold and ejects a coach (e.g. Three bench Ts)?

Peace
Looks like that wording is no longer there. I'm pretty sure that, at one time, the 2nd T was considered a flagrant and that is how the disqualification for 2 T was triggered. Unlike a few here, I don't keep all my old books (When I get new ones, I donate them to others that can use them).

As far as the game administration is concerned, it is semantics. It doesn't change any part of the in-game penalty administration. I suppose, if my memory is correct, that it was changed to more equitably facilitate the various post game suspensions imposed by states....so that they can technically distinguish between flagrant acts and non-flagrant acts.