The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
My state has suspended coaches for doing what this team and school did in other sports. In baseball not sure if that would work very well considering games are moved all the time.
I'm pretty sure that in IL, suspensions have to be served in the next game that is already scheduled at the time of the suspension. So, a team could go ahead and add a game or two, but the player couldn't play in those and then couldn't play in the previously scheduled game.
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 11:12am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
That's why I am in favor of restricting players versus ejecting them.

But get rid of the rats!

If only restricting worked.

In the scheme of life, the ejection should teach more of a life lesson than a warm and fuzzy warning.
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
In some (if not most) cases a player ejection is actually only a seat on the bench. If the player is a minor, then he/she can't leave the premises unless a parent or guardian is there to take him/her home. The post game discipline is what reinforces the ejection.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 02:14pm
Stop staring at me swan.

There are coaches out there who take care of their own business. There are coaches who don't, so when we eject, it is typically from coaches who aren't taking care of their business in the first place. I never feel bad for an ejection. I often regret missing an ejection when I probably should've.
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 03:23pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
The coach, the player, the team, the school, the conference, and the OHSAA all owe this official an apology and should be ashamed of themselves.
We're independent contractors and have no say in the administration of any school, team, conference or association. If you don't like it, don't work there. I certainly have my share of places I don't work because I don't like how they treat me, but I never once thought anybody owed me an apology. There are multiple coaches who bad-mouthed me publicly over the years, and when I was offered games to work where they coach, I just turned 'em down.

ozzy said it well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
"Personally, I couldn't care less. The player got ejected and as far as I am concerned, that is all we as umpires have control over. Who (umpires) really gives a crap if he plays the next game or not?"

Last edited by Publius; Sat Jun 15, 2013 at 03:25pm.
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 03:35pm
In Time Out

Quote:
I think that's easy to say when we're on the outside looking in. In the heat of the moment he defended himself to the press. Most men would attempt to stand up for themselves. He was accused (in the press) of going on a power trip, which is incredibly demeaning. The coach, the player, the team, the school, the conference, and the OHSAA all owe this official an apology and should be ashamed of themselves.

Tim.
No comment would have been the best answer.......if you're okay with "the heat of moment" comments, then he shouldn't have ejected the player.

Somebody has to be the voice of reason.

Last edited by Steven Tyler; Sat Jun 15, 2013 at 03:44pm.
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 03:38pm
In Time Out

Quote:
I don't believe for a second that his comments were degrading to any janitors. This new wave PC bull$it sickens me.

Tim.
Pfft!!!!
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 03:40pm
In Time Out

Quote:
I believe that had he mentioned this wasn't his first rodeo there would have been a large outcry from rookie cowboys proclaiming how offensive his comments were.......

Tim.
What he should have said was, "This isn't my first time pushing a broom after the rodeo has left town."
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 06:06pm
Administrator

Ladies and gentlemen. I can assure you that the OhioHSAA is not happy about the situation, BUT, as in the rules that I posted earlier in this thread, it was perfectly legal. I am sure that rules will be examined closely for next year.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jun 16, 2013, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'm pretty sure that in IL, suspensions have to be served in the next game that is already scheduled at the time of the suspension. So, a team could go ahead and add a game or two, but the player couldn't play in those and then couldn't play in the previously scheduled game.
This is exactly the spot the OHSAA found themselves stuck in.

They wrote the regulation not expecting a member institution would find a way to work around the intent. (one of the teams had finished their season some 11 days prior) Instead of ending up in court, they voiced their displeasure with the school and will be rewriting the regulation to put a stop to this......

...until someone else comes along and finds a way around it.

FWIW, the coach and umpire were sanctioned for their comments to the media.
Old Sun Jun 16, 2013, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

No surprise to me. That's what coaches do. Find loop holes or bend the rules. Or even cheat.
Old Mon Jun 17, 2013, 04:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
As one of those "schlepps pushing a broom", yeah he was being insulting.

I'm smart enough to get the work that allows me to umpire.

Rita
Rita....check your PMs.
Old Mon Jun 17, 2013, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
We're independent contractors and have no say in the administration of any school, team, conference or association. If you don't like it, don't work there. I certainly have my share of places I don't work because I don't like how they treat me, but I never once thought anybody owed me an apology. There are multiple coaches who bad-mouthed me publicly over the years, and when I was offered games to work where they coach, I just turned 'em down.

ozzy said it well:
We're going to have to agree to disagree here. This entite matter is a symptom of a much larger generational problem. There is virtually NO accountibility anymore for young men and women when they cross the line. This kid steps out of bounds and swears at an adult who's been placed in an authoritative position, and it appears the entire system makes allowances for it. In the days I played baseball none of the kids I played baseball with would have gotten away with something like this. Our coaches and school administrators would have supprted the official, and an a$$kicking woyld have been the order of the day by our fathers.

Tim.
Old Tue Jun 18, 2013, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We're going to have to agree to disagree here. This entite matter is a symptom of a much larger generational problem. There is virtually NO accountibility anymore for young men and women when they cross the line. This kid steps out of bounds and swears at an adult who's been placed in an authoritative position, and it appears the entire system makes allowances for it. In the days I played baseball none of the kids I played baseball with would have gotten away with something like this. Our coaches and school administrators would have supprted the official, and an a$$kicking woyld have been the order of the day by our fathers.

Tim.
The OHSAA system makes allowances for the frequent strings of foul weather we get here in Ohio. A few years ago, the weather was so wet teams were lucky to have played 15 games going into the tournament. The system was set up to allow teams to have a normal season even if early April weather doesn't cooperate.

That system was abused here and I would expect it will be adjusted to prevent this abuse in the future. Don't blame the system. Blame the coach, AD, principal and school system who lack the integrity to hold the player accountable.
Old Tue Jun 18, 2013, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Seems like there would be a fairly straightforward fix: if a player is suspended in an OHSAA tournament game, they must sit out the next tournament game.

But I think it's a little unfair to say the state "allowed" this to happen...the weasels found a loophole and accomplices to help them go through it, but the state couldn't just implement rules on the fly.
Closed Thread