The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 14, 2013, 11:31am
Administrator

Cold weather and two ejections.

Yesterday was a wonderful day () for a H.S. varsity baseball DH: Game time (10:00am) weather: 40F with a wind chill factor of 30F. MTD, Jr., was supposed to be my partner but his supervisor screwed up his Saturday work schedule and he ended up receiving a girls' H.S. JV softball DH at 01:00pm which was canceled.

I am behind the Plate for the second game. Top of the First Inning with one out: R2 on 2B trying to score on a base hit to RF by B3. F2 is an offensive lineman (no kidding, he is a big boy but really a gentle giant) on the Home Team's football team. F2 is standing in Fair Territory about six feet up the line toward 3B; he is not in a postion to Obstruct. F2 takes the throw and spins as fast as he can and makes a sweep tag F2 who is sliding feet first into HP. The tag is made before F2's feet get to HP; the tag was made against the side of F2's helmet and the his helmet is knocked off his head. Yes the tag was hard, but it was the result of F2's momentum from spinning to make the tag. There was no way that F2's tag was Malicious Contact. F2 could not have deliberately hit R2 in the head because he couldn't hit a slow curve if the ball had been set on a Tee.

Immediately, V-HC is yelling from the 3B Coaching Box complaining about F2's tag. By this time R2 has stood up and is standing about one foot away from me, facing me, and yells: "Are you kidding me!" I should great restraint and sternly told him: "That's enough!" If my left shoulder is at nine o'clock, R2's helmet is about at eight o'clock and about ten feet away from me. R2, instead of stepping to his right to go around me to get his helmet, he decides to step through me banging his right shoulder into my right shoulder and spinning me to my right about ninety degrees. Instant ejection for R2.

I informed V-HC of R2's ejection which immediately caused him to start complaining that R2 was only trying to get his helmet and that I made a terrible (insert Charles Barkley's pronunciation of "terrible") call for not ejecting F2 for Malicious Contact. I shut down our "conversation" and got the game restarted.

Fast forward to the Middle of the First Inning. V-HC is informing me of his replacement for R2 and he still wants to complain about R2's ejection. Again, I shut our "conversation" down when V-AC2 decides to tell me that I "need to be a man" about my mistake. V-AC2 is now gone.

In the Fifth Inning, my partner and I discover that V-AC2 has gone to the parking lot (a good thing) and has driven his car around the school and has parked his car behind the Right Field fence along with other fans to watch the game. We informed V-HC to have his AC return to the school bus in the parking lot. V-HC had his AC comply.

A fun way to spend a cold Winter, I mean Spring day.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Apr 14, 2013, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

One thing I enjoy about high school baseball in Iowa is that it doesn't start until May 20th; no freezing my nads off umpiring a game. Of course, a day in July with a heat index over 100 isn't much better. Those can be long doubleheaders (everything is a DH in Iowa HS ball).

One thing coming on these forums has taught me is that no matter how good of an umpire you might be, or what part of the country you work in, or what level you work, there are always going to be coaches, players and fans who think you suck and got things wrong. It's comforting to know I'm not alone.

On your ejections, I've never had a kid make contact with me; was that a first for you too? As for the AC driving around to the parking lot that doesn't surprise me at all. Often, the coaches are the most immature people on the diamond.
Old Sun Apr 14, 2013, 05:16pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMike View Post
One thing I enjoy about high school baseball in Iowa is that it doesn't start until May 20th; no freezing my nads off umpiring a game. Of course, a day in July with a heat index over 100 isn't much better. Those can be long doubleheaders (everything is a DH in Iowa HS ball).

One thing coming on these forums has taught me is that no matter how good of an umpire you might be, or what part of the country you work in, or what level you work, there are always going to be coaches, players and fans who think you suck and got things wrong. It's comforting to know I'm not alone.

On your ejections, I've never had a kid make contact with me; was that a first for you too? As for the AC driving around to the parking lot that doesn't surprise me at all. Often, the coaches are the most immature people on the diamond.

Iowa Mike:

That was the first time that I had had a player in a H.S. or youth game make contact with me in 42 years of officiating basketball and 21 years of umpiring baseball and fast pitch softball.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Apr 14, 2013, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

No cold weather here.

You guys are tougher than I am..... Reading about working games in 40 degree weather (30 degrees windchill) really makes me appreciate the 70+ degree to 80+ degree March/April days we have around here. Don't know if I could do it!

Worked the 'Guns & Hoses' baseball tourney Thursday - Saturday (coldest temps was low 70's). Congrats to the Charlotte, NC Fire Department for their win in the championship game over the previously undefeated San Diego Border Patrol. You guys from Charlotte were the "classiest" team in the tournament. I really enjoyed working your games.

Three 7-inning freshman games today in 88-degree weather. My ears are sunburned....

Our high school season will be ending soon, play-off games are already being assigned. Hope you guys all have (or had) a great high school season....and warm sunny weather.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 01:25am
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme561 View Post
..... working games in 40 degree weather (30 degrees windchill)...

Three 7-inning freshman games today...
A few frosty fingertips is a VERY small price to pay, if that's the alternative.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

I was wearing my jacket, turtle neck and sweater for my 50 deg. day first game in Feb. I DON"T MISS the cold weather up north. NEVER.

Born in Buffalo , NY.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 10:01am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
I was wearing my jacket, turtle neck and sweater for my 50 deg. day first game in Feb. I DON"T MISS the cold weather up north. NEVER.

Born in Buffalo , NY.
What is it with you folks from Buffalo? I thought you were acclimated to cooler climes.

I worked a HS varsity softball game with a colleague who hailed from Buffalo. Temps were around 50, but the wind was blowing with 25 mph gusts towards home. He had the bases, and not only did he layer up with about five layers, he also wore black ski gloves and a black knit cap that covered everything but his eyes. I was surprised he could move out there.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
What is it with you folks from Buffalo? I thought you were acclimated to cooler climes.

I worked a HS varsity softball game with a colleague who hailed from Buffalo. Temps were around 50, but the wind was blowing with 25 mph gusts towards home. He had the bases, and not only did he layer up with about five layers, he also wore black ski gloves and a black knit cap that covered everything but his eyes. I was surprised he could move out there.
Two things:

1. I may have actually become acclimated to the warm weather in Louisiana.

2. I am just getting freaking old and maybe I used up all my body heat from my younger days in Buffalo.

I can remember when I first moved to NYC to work. I would laugh when it got 40degrees and all the fur coats came out and I would just wear a sports jacket. Thirty years later and I am the one that needs the fur coat. Life is funny.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to rcaverly
NW Ohio: double windbreakers and gloves on 4/6; polo shirt and sunscreen on 4/9. It is here where the next ice age will refreeze the melting polar ice cap.