The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Player ejection and coach response

Yesterday I had a game between two rival schools that was also a district game. Sparing long details, I had a player for team A that upon striking out (swinging) turn to me and smart off before returning to the dugout. I ejected the player and as expected here comes the head coach of team A. He was rather upset that his player got ejected and mouthed off for about a minute but never crossed the line.

So here is where my true question starts. Since this was a district game between two rivals almost every media outlet was present. Upon opening up todays paper there is an article from the game. It mentions the ejection and within the coaches interview part of the article the coach states "that the umpire admitted he was wrong and even apologized. Usually they do not but he did. When you have a freshman that is passionate about baseball and he has a call that does not go his way of course he is going to get a bit upset."

My state has a rather strict rule on coaches commenting on umpire judgement calls to media outlets. I have the ability to send a report to the state association disputing what the coach said and reporting his comments to the paper or I can just let it go.

So what does everyone think should happen now. Also if anyone wants more information on how we led up to an ejection and how the conversation with the coach afterwards went I can go further into details. Thanks
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Did you admit you were wrong and apologize? If you didn't and he fabricated this, then I would be very careful what I said to this guy going forward. If you did apologize, did you think he would just let it go? My philosophy with regards to what I say to a coach is very simple, 'they can't use what you DON'T say against you'.

Now, about this situation. I would ignore it and if the state wants to get involved, then they will. You will see this coach again, no doubt.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

If you didn't apologize you shouldn't be posting on a message board. You should be consulting with an attorney.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

I did not apologize. Honestly, the coach did most of the talking/complaining and did not really give me a chance to even explain anything to him.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadman15241 View Post
If you didn't apologize you shouldn't be posting on a message board. You should be consulting with an attorney.
Are you thinking he should pursue a libel suit?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmjg24 View Post
My state has a rather strict rule on coaches commenting on umpire judgement calls to media outlets. I have the ability to send a report to the state association disputing what the coach said and reporting his comments to the paper or I can just let it go.
Just like you wouldn't let the first couple of balks go by, I wouldn't let the first couple of media comments fly if you have a rule in place that covers them.

I'm not sure what exactly you should write up about it other than the fact that comments were made. The incorrect nature of the comments is certainly an issue, but I'm not sure I'd make them the issue.

Last edited by briancurtin; Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 12:45pm. Reason: added point
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 01:40pm
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
Are you thinking he should pursue a libel suit?
I would. Libel is the communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual...a negative or inferior image.

This was clearly the case. It certainly appears his intent was to plant a seed in any coaches who read that and doesn't know Tank that he is a substandard umpire.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 02:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Hold off on the lawsuit for now. File a report as not only was the comment about the umpiring, but it was not true when talking to the media. I would file the report and talk to the supervisor or assignor about this and let them do what they do. Only file a lawsuit if you are harmed and it is not clear that is the case right now. It is too soon. Not everything a coach says is taken seriously for a lot of reasons, even by their own administration. Do your due diligence first and then if something is resolved then maybe then consider something, but that would be the absolute last resort. You do not want to be seen as the guy that sued over what happen on the field and then lose that fight.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

consider other ramifications

I would consult with your chapter prez and other members who's opinion you respect before taking the official reporting step. There may be circumstances that you do not know that would lead you to file or not to file. If everything was as you say it was and you find no good reason not to file, I'd file it and let him explain his media comments to the authorities.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 03:28pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
Now, about this situation. I would ignore it and if the state wants to get involved, then they will. You will see this coach again, no doubt.
I could care less if I'm going to see this coach again. If he patently lied to the media claiming that I said something that I never said, I'm not ignoring it. Something has to be done to put this yayhoo on notice that he can't go to the media and make crap up to make me look bad.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

You can get into a 'he said, she said' argument, the coach can claim what he wants, interpret what was said any way that suits his fancy. The fact that he went to the media just tells me that putting him 'on notice' won't do any good. His value system won't be altered.

In my opinion, there is no 'win' in this situation. I would agree with letting your association handle the matter as they see fit.

-----------------------
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Forget the lawsuit and find a way to dump his *** every time you see him again.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 06:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrutledge View Post
hold off on the lawsuit for now. File a report as not only was the comment about the umpiring, but it was not true when talking to the media. I would file the report and talk to the supervisor or assignor about this and let them do what they do. Only file a lawsuit if you are harmed and it is not clear that is the case right now. It is too soon. Not everything a coach says is taken seriously for a lot of reasons, even by their own administration. Do your due diligence first and then if something is resolved then maybe then consider something, but that would be the absolute last resort. You do not want to be seen as the guy that sued over what happen on the field and then lose that fight.

Peace
+1
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Did you do your job and act in a professional manner at all times?

That is what is important. I know in my state if an ejection took place we are required to file a report within 48 hours. You are to state exactly what took place, what rule was in violation and the penalty assessed. Report all pertinent conversations and STICK to the facts PERIOD. They alone should be sufficient enough for one to discern what was actually said.

This is America, the coach has every right to speak to whoever he feels like and don't ever take a game with his team again if you don't think you can be totally impartial, fair or professional or are going to hold a grudge against this coach. If that is the case you are doing a great disservice to yourself and the umpiring profession.

If you do you job by the book, then you should not blink an eye about what was said unless it causes you to lose games and/or financial damages. Then handle it professionally with a lawyer.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

I would have a conversation about this with my assignor and ask for his advice on next steps. I expect he would ask me for a report and he would take it from there and coach/school would be fined in our state.

And I would forget about it.

Last edited by DG; Sun Mar 31, 2013 at 07:57pm.