The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
If you do you job by the book, then you should not blink an eye about what was said unless it causes you to lose games and/or financial damages. Then handle it professionally with a lawyer.
The coach did not do his job by the book if there is a state rule about not addressing officiating in the media.

There are rules in most professional sports about the same thing, and they do get fined for it. Most of the time coaches/players even know it, saying "I know I'll get fined for this, but that call was bad, blah blah blah." The next day, so-and-so comes out as being fined $10K. Sure, it's pocket change to most, but the rule is there, and the rule is enforced.

Letting this slide isn't good if you as me. Just like the guy who lets certain balks by until you come around, the next person to be talked about in the media faces an uphill battle when the words are even more harsh. They'll come back with, "no one said anything before so they must not care," and then it's open season when they can't control it.

At the very least, I would tell your assignor and/or your association if you don't want to report it yourself. Maybe they'll work up the stack and get the complaint lodged.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin View Post
The coach did not do his job by the book if there is a state rule about not addressing officiating in the media.

Letting this slide isn't good if you ask me.
Your point is?

"I know in my state if an ejection took place we are required to file a report within 48 hours. You are to state exactly what took place, what rule was in violation and the penalty assessed. Report all pertinent conversations and STICK to the facts PERIOD. That alone should be sufficient enough for one to discern what was actually said."

How is suggesting a full detailed report letting it slide?
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

So my association president gave me a call this evening. He was entirely supporting of my ejection and stated that the offending coach had given him a call discussing the game. The coach told my assignor that he was sorry for the remarks in the paper and that he got a little carried away and that the paper took a few things out of context also. Supposedly their conversation ended with him saying that there were no hard feelings and that he would not mind me back at his location.

My association president feels as if we should not pursue anything additional at this point. He feels as if the state has an issue with anything that they will contact me directly asking for clarification. One part of me thinks that burying this is the best, yet another part of me says that if he gets away with it what will stop him from doing it in the future. I guess I will let things go for now and just continue umpiring.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

I wonder if coach called your assigner before or after he saw his words in the newspaper.

This kind of call is so much harder than the ones we make on the field. You have a coach that says that he got "a little carried away" and that he was misquoted and you're welcome to come back anytime (probably only if this is far as the issue goes). And an assigner that's on your side, but really hopes you let it lie (that part about the state contacting you if they have an issue is BS, I doubt the state will even hear about this incident if no one files a report). And then you have all us internet umpires (not in your shoes) telling you what you should do.

Sometimes when I F-up a call, I lose sleep over it. Don't let an A-hole like this cause you to lose sleep. Use your best judgement and then let it go. Good luck, bruda.
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

The coach reached out out of fear. Fear you'd have his next game, and word would get out that he lied to the press. Afraid you'd let on to the rest of the umpires what a rat he was, and all close calls would go against him (that's how coaches think).

He's a bonehead. No rational person makes up stuff like that up (I'm guessing his team lost, and blames you). Now he tries a little CYA with your boss, figuring that might help him out. A little Jim Joyce-ish weeping, or a sorrowful attempt to smooth things over. Dope. Lying is not "a little carried away".

At least he saved you the trouble of making a second report.

All that said, when you encounter him the next time, don't bring it up, or even acknowledge the event. No tearfilled plate meetings or hugs, either. Just a new game, played by kids, where the adults are the example setters.

Plus, acting like it never happened will freak him out even more.

As for filing a lawsuit, that's nuts. Please, we're above stuff like that, aren't we? Handle your own business.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Here's a twist that might (probably not) work. Do it golf style. Ask him if he'd like to file the report on myself (saving you the risk/reward of filing the report). Have it explained to him (by an intermediary/your assignor) that maybe it'll go down easier if he reports it himself. If he is sincere about his apology, then he should be willing to take you off the hook by reporting it himself. It would be the honorable thing to do.

Maybe if you heard his response to this suggestion, you could make a better decision on whether or not to file the report.

Last edited by bluehair; Mon Apr 01, 2013 at 12:12am.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 05:58am
Official & ***** Member

File the report with your state office. If the coach repeats this violation or causes other problems down the road, they'll have a record of his previous actions.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 08:05am
Stop staring at me swan.

File the report w/ the league.

That's the process. I know it's easy for me to say on here...but documenting this behavior is important for umpires who work after you.

You are an independent contractor. Your assigner can tell you one thing, but in our state, we have a process for this issues. He can call the assigner, whatever else he wishes, but you still have the right to file an incident report.

If your gut instinct tells you to let it go, then let it go.

Not sure how long you've been officiating, but this type of stuff will always happened the longer you officiate. So you do need to pick your battles.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

If coach and assignor have spoken, I'm not sure you have further to go with this. There's no libel here - you have to PROVE you did not say what he said you said... and I'm sure you had no witnesses in earshot of that conversation. At this point, let it go and move on.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

tankmjg24,

From your profile I see you work in W.Va. With a little internet research I see there is an officials Manual that states the following:

3.8. Procedure. Unsportsmanship action must be reported in detail to the WVSSAC. A copy of the complaint must also be filed with the
principal of the school involved. Each principal involved shall report such information or answers to the report as they deem appropriate. Upon
receipt of all reports, the Executive Director and/or the Board of Directors of the WVSSAC shall investigate and adjudicate such reports in accordance
with the powers afforded in §127-1-8.6 and 8.7 and §127-1-12.2 and 12.3 of the Constitution. Penalties up to and including suspension of member
schools may be made in accordance with §127-4.

If I am correct , it looks like you are required to file a report. If so I would fully recommend complying.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehair View Post
I wonder if coach called your assigner before or after he saw his words in the newspaper.

Had to have been after - think!

This kind of call is so much harder than the ones we make on the field. You have a coach that says that he got "a little carried away" and that he was misquoted and you're welcome to come back anytime (probably only if this is far as the issue goes). And an assigner that's on your side, but really hopes you let it lie (that part about the state contacting you if they have an issue is BS, I doubt the state will even hear about this incident if no one files a report). And then you have all us internet umpires (not in your shoes) telling you what you should do.

Sometimes when I F-up a call, I lose sleep over it. Don't let an A-hole like this cause you to lose sleep..
So if you f-up a call you lose sleep but if a coach does he's still an a-hole?

Want to think that through a bit more?
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 12:58pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post

I'm sure the coaches who are on the wrong end of my f'd-up calls think I'm an a-hole.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post

So just think that coach just made a bad call. Nah, he fabricated a bad call. If you can't distinguish between an umpire making an honest boot of a call and a coach dishonestly lying about what someone said, then you must be...a coach.

Upon further thinking about it, I change my mind, I think he's rat-bastid a-hole. And not worth losing a wink of sleep about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I'm sure the coaches who are on the wrong end of my f'd-up calls think I'm an a-hole.
You sure would be, if you went to the press and lied about a conversation the two of you had about the call.

Last edited by bluehair; Mon Apr 01, 2013 at 08:01pm.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Reporters are not entirely accurate either

There's a fair amount of room for misinterpretation between what you remember saying, how the coach heard it, what the coach told the reporter, what the reporter heard, and what the reporter wrote. Plus what the coach told your assignor. I would communicate with both the coach and the reporter before assuming that the coach lied through his teeth. If I cared enough, which I probably wouldn't.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 10:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
There's a fair amount of room for misinterpretation between what you remember saying, how the coach heard it, what the coach told the reporter, what the reporter heard, and what the reporter wrote. Plus what the coach told your assignor. I would communicate with both the coach and the reporter before assuming that the coach lied through his teeth. If I cared enough, which I probably wouldn't.
Why would you talk to the coach? That has all kinds of mindfields if the conversation does not go a certain way. And if you say something and he lied before, what makes you think that conversation would not be misrepresented and said to benefit the coach's position?

Peace