View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 31, 2013, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Player ejection and coach response

Yesterday I had a game between two rival schools that was also a district game. Sparing long details, I had a player for team A that upon striking out (swinging) turn to me and smart off before returning to the dugout. I ejected the player and as expected here comes the head coach of team A. He was rather upset that his player got ejected and mouthed off for about a minute but never crossed the line.

So here is where my true question starts. Since this was a district game between two rivals almost every media outlet was present. Upon opening up todays paper there is an article from the game. It mentions the ejection and within the coaches interview part of the article the coach states "that the umpire admitted he was wrong and even apologized. Usually they do not but he did. When you have a freshman that is passionate about baseball and he has a call that does not go his way of course he is going to get a bit upset."

My state has a rather strict rule on coaches commenting on umpire judgement calls to media outlets. I have the ability to send a report to the state association disputing what the coach said and reporting his comments to the paper or I can just let it go.

So what does everyone think should happen now. Also if anyone wants more information on how we led up to an ejection and how the conversation with the coach afterwards went I can go further into details. Thanks