The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Reebok Zig Plate Shoes

Thinking about buying new plate shoes this year; I've always worn New Balance and like them but would like to go to a low cut shoe and am looking at the Reebok Zig Tech. My question to anyone who has them; how have they been comfort wise, and are they difficult to clean? The first thing that goes through my mind with the zig tech soles is that it would be a real pain in the rear to get the dirt out of those deep grooves. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Not for nothing, but these Zig plate shoe are the ugliest thing I have ever seen!

Last edited by ozzy6900; Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 10:53am.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 10:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Not for nothing, but this have the Zig plate shoe is the ugliest thing I have ever seen!
They look much better on the bottom of a pair of charcoal plate pants.

That said, I bought the all-black low tops. After a couple of years with the NB 460s, I realized I hate having all that shoe covering up my ankles.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 06:38am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
After a couple of years with the NB 460s, I realized I hate having all that shoe covering up my ankles.
After suffering a bad high ankle sprain last football season, I appreciate the support the 460s give me. But I can see your point.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 07:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
After suffering a bad high ankle sprain last football season, I appreciate the support the 460s give me. But I can see your point.
I get it -- I used to have really bad ankles and used to use lace up braces along with my high top shoes. Fortunately, I don't need them anymore.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

I have the all black Zig plate shoes. They really feel like you're wearing a pair of tennis shoes. Extremely light and comfortable. I didn't think they could do much better than the original Reebok Magistrate plate shoes, but they did. I don't have any problem cleaning them either. I just use Murphy's soap/water mix and a brush then wipe them clean with a rag. Follow up with liquid polish and they look good.

I have taken a couple of toe shots in the last week and didn't feel a thing either.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 09:36am

I am concerned that on a muddy field, those deep channels could get caked and turn out to be very difficult to clean. Those channels just look like mud catchers to me. I'd be interested to know how easily they clean up after a muddy game, as well.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
I am concerned that on a muddy field, those deep channels could get caked and turn out to be very difficult to clean. Those channels just look like mud catchers to me. I'd be interested to know how easily they clean up after a muddy game, as well.
I haven't worn them on a muddy field yet, but I imagine you could just bang them together after the game and knock the mud out. Anything that doesn't come out could be hosed off when you get home or in a shower at the game site.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 11:57am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Anything that doesn't come out could be hosed off when you get home or in a shower at the game site.
What dat?

I have known some umpires who rinse the soles of their plate shoes in the toilet in the coach's office to get the mud off.

Not that I've ever done that.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 12:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
I've worn Zigs on the bases and for football the last couple of seasons -- they clean up just fine.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

They might be ugly...

But they are comfortable. Not to hard to get clean.
Old Wed Apr 03, 2013, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Walker View Post
But they are comfortable. Not to hard to get clean.
I have had shoes with some mesh fabric. Unless I dunked them in a bucket of soapy water, I never could get them really clean looking. They always looked like I just moved the dirt around.

And I have never owned shoes with so much white. How do you polish/shine the black leather and keep the white looking white.

I've always avoided buying shoes like this because I wouldn't want to spend the time that I think it would require to keep them looking good.