The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Baseball umpire pants

I need to buy some plate pants. Which do brand do you recommend?
Old Tue Mar 26, 2013, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
There are a multitude of options available for pants. First, are you just starting out? Most of us when we first started umpiring just used a pair of regular grey slacks and didn't bother with the expense of umpire pants until we knew for sure that we liked it and was going to stick with it.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2013, 12:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

There are a number of manufacturers of plate pants out there. It's probably best to see what other umpires wear locally, though. If nobody wears Gerry Davis pants, you probably don't want to be the only one who does as the color is unlike any of the other pants on the market.

I just bought a set of the Honig's polywool pants for the first time this season. Looking forward to using them if the snow ever melts.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 04:43am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
There are a number of manufacturers of plate pants out there. It's probably best to see what other umpires wear locally, though. If nobody wears Gerry Davis pants, you probably don't want to be the only one who does as the color is unlike any of the other pants on the market.

I just bought a set of the Honig's polywool pants for the first time this season. Looking forward to using them if the snow ever melts.
Get a good pair of plate pants. It's likely one of the least expensive parts of your gear...the poly-wools that Rich is writing about are the top-of-the-line and will last many years. Also, if you find out that umpiring isn't for you, your poly wool pants are an easy sell on the secondary market. Get them hemmed properly.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Honigs Poly Wool.
And have them dry cleaned.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 10:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

The care tag for the polywools actually calls for washing and drying the pants.

I'll wash them, but let them hang dry. And I have them dry cleaned once in a while.

I don't like wearing dirty pants and I can't afford (mainly time-wise) to have them dry cleaned after every wearing. It would be a significant money cost, too.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The care tag for the polywools actually calls for washing and drying the pants.

I'll wash them, but let them hang dry. And I have them dry cleaned once in a while.

I don't like wearing dirty pants and I can't afford (mainly time-wise) to have them dry cleaned after every wearing. It would be a significant money cost, too.
Not disputing what yours say, but I just looked and mine from Honigs say "dry clean only."

I also do not like dirty pants but can get several games (usually) during a weekend tourney on a pair. $4.75 to clean ind I have other clothes at the cleaners every week.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

They changed the tag recently.

and, you can wash the previous versions. Dry for about 5 minutes (with the rest of the stuff in the load), then hang to finish drying.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Thu Mar 28, 2013 at 07:49pm.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 07:46pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Yikes I wouldn't dry for that long. I can dry a full load of towels in my dryer in 45 minutes.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2013, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
65 minutes? How old is your dryer?
Sorry -- 5 minutes.

Fixed the original. You just want to get the excess water out from the washer.

(I have a top loading washer. A front loader might not need that much -- I think it spins faster)
Old Sat Mar 30, 2013, 04:02am
Official Forum Member

I've been wondering recently why baseball umpires do not use the pants football officials wear these days considering baseball umpires have more foul weather games than football officials do.
Old Sat Mar 30, 2013, 07:08am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagan View Post
I've been wondering recently why baseball umpires do not use the pants football officials wear these days considering baseball umpires have more foul weather games than football officials do.
I don't agree with your premise, but the reason football went to the current pants was to allow for "layering" underneath the pants. The old knickers made that difficult.
Old Sat Mar 30, 2013, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What's special about the football pants for foul weather? Maybe whatever that is could be added to the baseball pants?
Old Sat Mar 30, 2013, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Because they're not classy looking, like a sharp pair of polywool slacks.

If you umpire long enough, you'll buy the Honig's/Hardwick pants, as they are the standard. It's just a matter of when, and how many other pants you purchase in between.
Old Sat Mar 30, 2013, 09:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Because they're not classy looking, like a sharp pair of polywool slacks.

If you umpire long enough, you'll buy the Honig's/Hardwick pants, as they are the standard. It's just a matter of when, and how many other pants you purchase in between.
I would welcome changing the notion that dress pants should be the standard for officiating anything. IOW, I think football has it exactly right. While the PW pants look great, nobody would argue that they are especially comfortable. My football black pants are INCREDIBLY comfortable.

And I say that with 4 pairs of polywool pants sitting on the desk in front of me awaiting the tailor.