The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Can you buy umpire pants in stores?...

I know you can order them online, but is there a retailer chain that sells them in stores (i.e. Academy Sports)? Thanks!
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanSCS
I know you can order them online, but is there a retailer chain that sells them in stores (i.e. Academy Sports)? Thanks!
I've never seen umpire pants offered in chain sporting goods stores like Academy or Sports Authority, but they do tend to be carried in the smaller, independent sporting goods stores that exist in metropolitan areas. For example, here in the Dallas area, umpire pants are carried by Plano Sports in Plano and Broadway Sports in Garland, that I know of.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanSCS
It's simply a case of supply and demand. There's just no big demand at your local sporting goods chain to carry plate, base and combo pants in a wide variety of sizes.

There's a highend sporting goods store near me. It's huge, and carries top end gear for lots of sports. Think of Neiman Marcus. They have about 10 linear feet of umpire gear. That same stuff has been there for years. It just doesn't move. West Vest, Dalco shirts, Elbecos', lots of mask collecting dust. Hey I bought my son a pair of Rawlings Lobster umpire shin guards there (pretty cool), and those haven't been made for years.

Face it, we're not a big market.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 12:47am

Here in San Diego there a few sporting goods stores that carry gear and uniform parts, but for the most part, the selection just isn't as good as you can get from the places online. These places carry umpire stuff as a side niche, and really don't put much effort into it. Like Kyle said, there's just not a big enough market for it to merit our own storefronts.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

There's a store where i live that is exclusively for sports officials and it's fantastic. I'm just glad i can go there and try on my clothes and look at the stuff first hand before buying it.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

There is a Dick's and a Sports Authority a couple of miles from my house and neither carries much in the way of umpire gear. Certainly no pants or shirts, but if you need a plate brush or indicator you're in luck!

There is one small, family-owned sporting goods store a couple of more miles away that used to carry OHSAA-logoed uniforms, but they seem to have stopped carrying these a few years ago. And their prices were about 25% higher than the on-line stuff you can buy.

I'm also fortunate to have a dedicated umpire supply store right here in town, only about a 20 minute drive away. Nothing like trying stuff on before you buy it, or being able to get a needed piece of gear in a matter of minutes.

They also do internet sales. here is a link to their website:

http://www.refandsport.com/
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah...

That's why I wondered; it's always nice to actually get to try something on before buying it. Just because you wear a certain size in blue jeans doesn't always equate to other products. And I realize the online places allow returns, but it's just such a hassle. Thanks though!
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BBUMP99
I know of some stores locally, but I doubt that they are part of a nationwide chain or anything of that sort. I am fortunate to live within 3 hours of Honigs in FL so I usually make a pilgramage once a year to replentish and drool
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

There are a few Purchase Official retail outlets around. I have had good success with their pants, they're right there with shoe prices, and there's usually some McDavids or belts or other extras you can pick up for a decent price. I'd skip their equipment though. At least in the northern Ohio one they don't carry West Vest. And, of course, they compete with Honigs so you won't find their gear either.