The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Umpire pants

I'm having difficulty finding a good fitting pair of umpire pants. The Fechheimer flat front pants are too high waisted for me and tight across the groin area. This is the only brand carried by officialgear.com.

(1) Is there another brand and source that you can recommend?

(2) I've come across Smitty umpire pants which are pleated. Thoughts on these?

(3) Is there a brand of combo pants that look good when worn as base umpire pants as well as plate umpire pants?

Thanks!
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
I've been wearing the Smitty combo pants for about 2 years, and I like them just fine. I absolutely do not like the Fecheimer pants. They fit terribly.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

If you work an ASA National level tournament, the Fechheimer pants are required. I don't like the way they fit or look either, but that is the requirement.

In my part of the world, pleats are discouraged....pleats are for baseball umpires, not softball umpires.

As they say on the basketball board...YMMV

(your mileage may vary)
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

There are several styles of Fechheimer pants, not just the ones manufactured for ASA. Personally, I prefer the non-ASA Fechs to just about any other umpire pant out there. (Dalco, Keen, Smitty...etc.) And I have tried most of them. Fechs tend to last longer and keep their color longer. You can find the Fechs in pleated front, flat front with normal pockets, combos, both pleated and flat front, and of course the ASA style with the western cut pockets.

One purveyor of the non-ASA style pants is Lester's Upstate Sports.

I do recommend with both Fechheimer and Cliff Keen pants that you purchase a size larger than what you normally wear. If you wear a size 34 daily, for example, purchase size 36 for your umpire pants. Other companies, such as Dalco, you purchase the size you wear.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

I also have a problem with pants: Only Honig's delivers in Europe and their pants are for men with a beer-barrel in front We have no problems with pleated or flat front but most won't deliver outside the USA.
So I contacted Larry White from LAS, Legends Athletic Supply: Softball and Umpires Equipment, : Home . He wrote me not to do much in pants (yet). He sells the pleated pants...

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctblue View Post
I'm having difficulty finding a good fitting pair of umpire pants. The Fechheimer flat front pants are too high waisted for me and tight across the groin area. This is the only brand carried by officialgear.com.

(1) Is there another brand and source that you can recommend?

(2) I've come across Smitty umpire pants which are pleated. Thoughts on these?

(3) Is there a brand of combo pants that look good when worn as base umpire pants as well as plate umpire pants?

Thanks!
I've got a big *** and wide hips and I have no problem with Fechheimers to the point they are my casual wear for work and other activities. But, that's me.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
But, that's me.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2011, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex View Post
I also have a problem with pants: Only Honig's delivers in Europe and their pants are for men with a beer-barrel in front We have no problems with pleated or flat front but most won't deliver outside the USA.
So I contacted Larry White from LAS, Legends Athletic Supply: Softball and Umpires Equipment, : Home . He wrote me not to do much in pants (yet). He sells the pleated pants...
So are you saying that having a beer belly is a problem? And you call yourself Dutch?

I love my beer.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2011, 04:18am
Official Forum Member

if you opt to go with the flex-waist base pants @ lester's, you can stay w/ your normal waist size.

here's a place for cheap plates, but the clearance sizes are limited now:
Stripes & Strikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
There are several styles of Fechheimer pants, not just the ones manufactured for ASA. Personally, I prefer the non-ASA Fechs to just about any other umpire pant out there. (Dalco, Keen, Smitty...etc.) And I have tried most of them. Fechs tend to last longer and keep their color longer. You can find the Fechs in pleated front, flat front with normal pockets, combos, both pleated and flat front, and of course the ASA style with the western cut pockets.

One purveyor of the non-ASA style pants is Lester's Upstate Sports.

I do recommend with both Fechheimer and Cliff Keen pants that you purchase a size larger than what you normally wear. If you wear a size 34 daily, for example, purchase size 36 for your umpire pants. Other companies, such as Dalco, you purchase the size you wear.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2011, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

I gotta tell ya -
I needed pants because I thought my pants were "too pink." The local sporting goods store only had Smitty expando waist pants. I bought them - my waist size. I am SOOOO disappointed for the following reasons -
1. The the little rubber stripes to keep your shirt in don't work - had to buy the extra inside belt thing
2. The waist folds over the top of my belt - so I look sloppy - had to buy a new belt
3. The position of the belt loops do not keep my bag close to my side so it bunches open - new ball bag I dont think so
4. I am not comfortable with expando yet - pants just "feel" droopy
5. No heather gray just the "darker" shade of gray

Maybe I'm just picky

I have always used Cliff Kleen pants and have had no issues.

Just FYI
Old Sat Mar 26, 2011, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
So are you saying that having a beer belly is a problem? And you call yourself Dutch?

I love my beer.
Well Dave, while typing this I'm having a 33cc bottle "pilsner". I'm more a wine lover. Beer, as you know, appears in barrels, bottles and six-pack. I think a six-pack is still the way my love wants to see (or remember) me
I can buy, if I find them, two new pants but she also wants me to lose some more weight...

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Sat Mar 26, 2011, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Do softball umpires still wear Heather Gray? I ask because I have several pairs of plate and base pants, Honig's brand, size 34 waist that I no longer need (baseball is almost exclusively the charcoal gray now). I"m not sure of the inseam, but I wear a 34x32 in "regular" pants.

If there's any interest, I'll measure and count and make someone a good deal.

email me at Jenkins Robert L at att dot net (smush all the spaces)
Old Sat Mar 26, 2011, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Do softball umpires still wear Heather Gray? I ask because I have several pairs of plate and base pants, Honig's brand, size 34 waist that I no longer need (baseball is almost exclusively the charcoal gray now). I"m not sure of the inseam, but I wear a 34x32 in "regular" pants.

Oh, to have a 34" waist again...

Yes, we still use heather grey, even in slow pitch. I'll ask a newer ump I know if he's looking for pants. Our assignor wants us in heather grey, but doesn't require the Fechheimers.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2011, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

i am interested. I will e-mail you. hope I have it right. Thanks Dave
Old Sat Mar 26, 2011, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Oh, to have a 34" waist again...
You and me both, Brother!

Earlier today I was looking on eBay for a good pair of used heather grey pants. Even though I don't have to have them, every once in awhile I get a partner that only has the heather and I would wear them just to match.

About three years ago I bought three pairs of heather Cliff Keen, figuring that I would be set for pants for a few years. The very next year, our state approved the charcoal grey for high school baseball and softball. Still got a few more miles out of the heathers, then they started "going pink" on me. I hate that look and will never wear them again. It's really a shame because other than the discoloration these pants are comfortable and free of any wear or tear.

Around these parts (central Ohio) both high school baseball and softball require grey pants and they may be either heather or charcoal. Our local ASA softball association requires navy blue long pants ONLY- no grey and no shorts.

Honigs sells a navy blue combo pant that I really like- very high quality, comfortable and durable. The Smitty's pants with the adjustable waist- I have their charcoal grey (which are a touch lighter than the Cliff Keens if you look at them side-by-side). No problems with them for me and I'm thinking of picking up another pair.

The Smitty's navy blue pants, I have had a problem with. Bought a pair on-line last year that was advertised as having the adjustable waist. When they arrived, they did not and were way too snug for me (unusable). I called the retailer and they in-turn called the manufacturer. The manufacturer told them that due to some last-minute manufacturing issue the navy pants were never produced with the adjustable waist- even though all of their advertising literature had already been sent out stating that they had it.

After checking several internet sites that sell these, some advertise that the navy Smitty's have the adjustable waist and some say they do not. One of the retailers that says they do is located a few miles from me. I plan on stopping in there sometime next week to see what they have.

Last edited by BretMan; Sat Mar 26, 2011 at 06:47pm.