The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Umpire Pants

My GD's are wearing out after two seasons. I'm looking at getting the Smitty Brand. Has anyone here wore these? How do they stand up to the Honig Poly Wools or the GD pants?
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 11:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump View Post
My GD's are wearing out after two seasons. I'm looking at getting the Smitty Brand. Has anyone here wore these? How do they stand up to the Honig Poly Wools or the GD pants?
2 seasons seems about right for pants. Do you like the GDs or are you looking for something different? What don't you like about the GDs?
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
2 seasons seems about right for pants. Do you like the GDs or are you looking for something different? What don't you like about the GDs?
Rich....I actually like the GD's. I have them dry cleaned and pressed each month when it is convenient to do so. That's the key to keeping them looking sharp. They are beginning to fray at the bottom and I suspect they may be faded a bit. I thought I might try something different this time. There is a color contrast between the GD's and everything else. We as umpires are the only ones who see this. What do you wear?
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Do not, DO NOT get the Honig's poly-wool slacks.

Unless you are willing to dump all the other pants in your closet, and wear nothing but the poly-wools. They're so good, that you won't want to wear anything else.

I have the GD's, and only wear them in really muddy conditions, or if my partner has them. Everything else pales in comparison to the p/w's.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump View Post

The Smitty's are a reasonably close match to the Honigs (held side-by-side you'll see a difference; from BU to PU it won't be noticeable). I have a couple of pair (each base and plate) and like them. I did also get the Honig's this year.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Do not, DO NOT get the Honig's poly-wool slacks.

Unless you are willing to dump all the other pants in your closet, and wear nothing but the poly-wools. They're so good, that you won't want to wear anything else.

I have the GD's, and only wear them in really muddy conditions, or if my partner has them. Everything else pales in comparison to the p/w's.
Agreed. But they are the only reason to do business with Honigs any more. Everything else can be purchased either better or cheaper, or both, elsewhere.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Agreed. But they are the only reason to do business with Honigs any more. Everything else can be purchased either better or cheaper, or both, elsewhere.
Well said!
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BK47
Where can you find the "Smitty Brand"? Also, I hear lots saying you can find things cheaper than Honigs on most everything. I am wanting a new FM this year. Looking for a Hollow Tube one. What do you guys think of the Hollow Tube masks? Where else besides Honigs and GD can one find masks at?

Thanks.....
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK47 View Post
Where can you find the "Smitty Brand"?
Purchase Officials, for one. And, whatever the new name of "Purchase Officials PA" now is (they went back to their old name, but I forget it -- officially sports", or something like that)
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 10:31am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK47 View Post
Where can you find the "Smitty Brand"? Also, I hear lots saying you can find things cheaper than Honigs on most everything. I am wanting a new FM this year. Looking for a Hollow Tube one. What do you guys think of the Hollow Tube masks? Where else besides Honigs and GD can one find masks at?

Thanks.....
Check out Ump-Attire.com . I can't recommend them enough.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 07:20pm
Stop staring at me swan.

You have to check out ump-attire if you're shopping for umpire gear.
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

If I was to pick a hollow core steel face mask, it would either be the new All-Star FM2000UMP or one of the "old guard" Wilson Dyna Lites.

As for on-line retailers, I have an incomplete list going at: Midwest Ump: Online Retailers
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BK47
Thanks guys for your input on Ump Gear. Right now I am deciding on I guess two different masks for this year. One of which is the K94 from Honigs which I can get 20% off to make it $60 vs the Allstar FM2000UMP which I can get from Baseball Plus store for $45. Any thoughts on either one of these?

Honig's Whistle Stop - K94 - SINGLE BAR PRO-LINE MASK WITH Team Wendy ZORBIUM PADDING

Allstar fm2000ump super light weight umpires helmet
Old Sat Feb 26, 2011, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Have you tried the Diamond lightweight?

$72 here

The Sports Loft: Home
Old Mon Feb 28, 2011, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

The Honig's Poly-Wool is the best way to go. I buy a pair of plate and base every other year. The new ones are for DI and I dry clean only for 2 years, the last set becomes everything else and machine wash, the set before that gets donated at a HS meeting and they are still in excellent condition. That rotation works well for me. and keeps them looking good.