The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
This play did not cost the Yanks the game.

But, your comment is silly.

What if it is a tie game in the bottom of the ninth, the home team scores a run on a foul ball ruled to be a HR.

Did one bad call blow the game?
My friend, your job as a team is to score runs. If you wait until the last inning to do anything, it is not the fault of the umpire. I don't care what your situation is, if you sit on your duff and don't do your job as a team, don't come running to me if I blow 1 call! So JW, I guess your response to mine is what is silly.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
My friend, your job as a team is to score runs. If you wait until the last inning to do anything, it is not the fault of the umpire. I don't care what your situation is, if you sit on your duff and don't do your job as a team, don't come running to me if I blow 1 call! So JW, I guess your response to mine is what is silly.
You're right. Umpires should never be blamed for anything-EVER.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
You're right. Umpires should never be blamed for anything-EVER.
1 ump blown call...vs atleast 27 at bats with opportunities to put runs on the board... YOU tell me which looks like it would have a greater effect on the outcome of the game??
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 09:06pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

I agree on the "moving" part. But, why was he moving? Because he started the play (at the time of the throw) on the third base side of second.
The valid parts of the rest of your post notwithstanding, that is not what happened. Just watch the imedded video in APG's post. Freeze it at 3 seconds and you can see Nelson clearly in B. At 7 seconds he is directly between the mound and the bag on the grass at the cutout, about one step on the first base side of second--you can see space between the bag and the left side of his body. All he had to do was get set right where he was at the time of the throw and he would probably would have got the call right. Instead, he ran directly toward the bag in an attempt to get closer and made the call on the move, too close to the play.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I agree with this assessment. I noticed that he opened up toward the ball, and actually may have taken a step or two toward first. I don't know why, if he in fact was moving toward first, he did that. Perhaps that was why it looked like he was in a dead sprint to try to catch up with the play?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 09:25pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Some mistake made late in a game (whether by umpire or player or coach) is no more important than the same mistake made earlier.
That's just not true. A foul ball called fair for a two-run HR in the bottom of the 1st of a V-1, H-0 game leaves the visitors 24 outs to overcome the error. That same call in the bottom of the 9th puts an L on the board. You can rationalize all you want about the things the visitors "should have done" in their nine at-bats preceding the last-inning mistake, but the timing of errors matters a great deal in terms of importance.

I always feel worse ringing a guy up on a pitch out of the zone than I do if it's a lousy call for strike one.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend View Post
1 ump blown call...vs atleast 27 at bats with opportunities to put runs on the board... YOU tell me which looks like it would have a greater effect on the outcome of the game??
The question isn't which have a greater effect. These are the best players in the world, often evenly matched. The difference between a runner in scoring position and no runner in scoring position is a large one.

That said, what's the difference? How one looks at an umpire error in judgment shouldn't be impacted by the situation. It's no better or worse. But excusing it based on whether it affected the outcome is answering the wrong question.

And interestingly, they just missed a tag in game 2 of the NLCS. Looked like good positioning. Why after a missed call can there not just be an inning ending double play? Naturally, the Giants are having a huge inning.
Old Wed Oct 17, 2012, 02:16pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Yup!

Was it a bad call? Yes, obviously. Did it cost the Yankee$ the game? No, obviously.

You do have to score to win. In the 21 innings of this series so far, the Yankee$ have scored in 1 inning. That's right.. one.

In their 78 official at-bats, they have 20 strikeouts.

Yeah, the lack of "pressure" on the Detroit pitcher cost them the game. Sure, Joe. You betcha.

Will it result in expanded replay? Yeah, probably, since it happened to the Yankee$!
No homers, no runs. Two 2 runs dingers, and solo shot last night. You would think the highest paid club by far in baseball would play harder than that. The highest paid player has to sit the bench on this team.