The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Announcer's Critique of Gerry Davis

I found these observations quite humorous. Ron Darling provided the following regarding Davis' work:

"Gerry Davis is one of the few umpires who doesn't move when the catcher moves. If the catcher moves outside, Davis tends to lose the outside corner because he stays where he set up. Davis is a vertical umpire, calls strikes up and down, but not so much a horizontal umpire".

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 09:53pm
Archaic Power Monger

As Yogi said, you can learn a lot just by watching...or not.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2012, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
I found these observations quite humorous. Ron Darling provided the following regarding Davis' work:

"Gerry Davis is one of the few umpires who doesn't move when the catcher moves. If the catcher moves outside, Davis tends to lose the outside corner because he stays where he set up. Davis is a vertical umpire, calls strikes up and down, but not so much a horizontal umpire".
Pitcher's perspective on where he's going to get calls. What's wrong with it?
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 04:44am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Ummm, everything.

Because of comments like these, people watching will believe the correct plate umpire positioning is how dear old Ron explained it. And when these people become youth baseball managers and coaches, or just fans at the park, they'll yell at the local umpire that he/she is clueless when he/she is doing exactly what he/she is supposed to be doing.

I'm just curious how many pro umpires Darling has seen that do move when the catcher moves.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Ummm, everything.

I'm just curious how many pro umpires Darling has seen that do move when the catcher moves.
A lot, because a lot of them move.

When Yadier Molina jumps out with 2/3 of his body off the plate, few umpires are still locked in with their nose on the inside corner.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 10:44am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin View Post
A lot, because a lot of them move.

When Yadier Molina jumps out with 2/3 of his body off the plate, few umpires are still locked in with their nose on the inside corner.
Well, maybe I just haven't been paying that much attention.

But as they say, if you want to learn proper positioning and mechanics, DON'T watch pro umpires...
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
There is nothing wrong with it, per se. The issue is that the general public hear these statements and believe that it is fact not opinion. We then feel the aftermath of this ignorance when we work games.

I also am getting pretty tired of that little blue strike zone box that they plaster up on the screen. This only tracks where the the pitch is caught, near as I can tell, and it doesn't track where or if the pitch even entered the zone.

Rant over! Carry on!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
But as they say, if you want to learn proper positioning and mechanics, DON'T watch pro umpires...
Maybe MLB umpires, but certainly not all pro umpires. If you want a tutorial on positioning and mechanics, watch a hungry AAA umpire. As good as it gets.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 02:44pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Maybe MLB umpires, but certainly not all pro umpires. If you want a tutorial on positioning and mechanics, watch a hungry AAA umpire. As good as it gets.
Agree. I should have said MLB.

And you want to talk hungry. I go to an occasional Potomac Nationals game, and have also seen a few Charleston RiverDog games when we're on vacation. Those Single-A umpires who are fresh out of the schools are sharp.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 08:21pm
Veteran College Umpire

OK, it begs the question: How many of YOU move when the catcher moves?
I will tell you, I don't. I set up in the slot on the inside corner and I stay there, even if the catcher moves out or in. If he "pinches" me, I tell him to give me a good look and he usually does.

JJ
Old Thu Oct 11, 2012, 04:50am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
I will tell you, I don't. I set up in the slot on the inside corner and I stay there, even if the catcher moves out or in. If he "pinches" me, I tell him to give me a good look and he usually does.
I don't move out of my slot either. I feel I've got a good gauge on when a pitch hits or misses the outside corner, and if I moved more towards the middle of the plate if the catcher sets up outside, I would be changing that look. That, and making myself more vulnerable to a foul ball straight back should the pitcher miss the corner and put it right down the middle.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2012, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

I try to set up in the same spot every time, even if the catcher moves up a little or back a little. If the catcher moves way up (closer to the plate), then I adjust forward just a little. Otherwise, I just wear down the same four holes (two for each sided batter) where my feet go.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2012, 08:11am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:

JJ
The only time I move is if I have to based upon how the catcher or batter sets up because they've taken my slot away. I try very hard not to though.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2012, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

JJ
I would like to say that I "wear down the same four holes" (as Bob says) but that's not entirely true. If I'm working college ball I do stay in the slot. If I'm working upper level high school, I usually stay in the slot unless my catcher has proved that he is not capable of sufficient protection. Lower level high school I move with the catcher.

For better or worse, that's my routine.

-Josh
Old Thu Oct 11, 2012, 12:36pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
The only time I move is if I have to based upon how the catcher or batter sets up because they've taken my slot away. I try very hard not to though.
And to where do you move? How does a batter take your slot away?