The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Twins @ Tigers - interference call

Was this call correct?

Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 01:59pm

7.08(b) Comment leads me to believe the call was incorrect. The runner is entitled to the base and cannot be guilty of interference unless it is ruled intentional. If it is deemed intentional, then both the runner and the batter-runner should be declared out.

When are they gonna get rid of these replacement umps!!! ... Oh, wait. Wrong forum.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

MLB Rule 7.08(b) Comment: A runner who is adjudged to have hindered a fielder who is attempting to make a play on a batted ball is out whether it was intentional or not. If, however, the runner has contact with a legally occupied base when he hinders the fielder, he shall not be called out unless, in the umpire’s judgment, such hindrance, whether it occurs on fair or foul territory, is intentional. If the umpire declares the hindrance intentional, the following penalty shall apply: With less than two out, the umpire shall declare both the runner and batter out. With two out, the
umpire shall declare the batter out.

The runner probably did not intentionally get in the way however, the runner did get in the way
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
So either the umpire kicked the call or he kicked the penalty.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 02:27pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Based upon the subsequent signal that U2 gave, indicating a circular motion around the ground, I'm guessing that perhaps he felt that the runner should have paid attention to where the ball was located and make some minor effort to adjust his position on the bag to give the fielder a chance to field the ball. After all, the runner simply stood on the bag with his back to the fielder, making no effort to watch what was going on. Perhaps U2 felt that the runner's indifference was enough justification to rule intent.

But again, I'm just guessing. The rule, as written, doesn't require the runner to make an active effort to avoid hindering the fielder while staying in contact with the base.

That said, he obviously kicked the penalty, since there was only one out at the time. He should have ruled both the runner and the batter-runner out.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker

Last edited by Manny A; Mon Sep 24, 2012 at 02:40pm.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
MLB Rule 7.08(b) Comment: A runner who is adjudged to have hindered a fielder who is attempting to make a play on a batted ball is out whether it was intentional or not. If, however, the runner has contact with a legally occupied base when he hinders the fielder, he shall not be called out unless, in the umpire’s judgment, such hindrance, whether it occurs on fair or foul territory, is intentional. If the umpire declares the hindrance intentional, the following penalty shall apply: With less than two out, the umpire shall declare both the runner and batter out. With two out, the

The runner probably did not intentionally get in the way however, the runner did get in the way
Thank you! I was looking for that and couldn't find it!

Rita
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Where are folks coming up with the DP scenario? On a "normal" batted ball the interference has to be willful and deliberate. To get a DP in OBR in the comment cited you have to rule intentional interference with a fielder. This was obviously NOT the case here.

Yhe citation says if ruled intentional get two. It doesn't say what to do if not intentional.

Last edited by Rich Ives; Tue Sep 25, 2012 at 09:12am.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Where are folks coming up with the DP scenario? To get a DP in OBR you have to rule intentional interference with a fielder. This was obviously NOT the case here.
They are coming up with it because the only two options with a runner that is ON the base is either A) nothing or B) intentional interference and 2 outs.

1 out is not a choice, but that's what we got. I don't think anyone is saying we SHOULD have 2 outs here or the runner intentionally interfered... they are just saying that IF we have interference, it MUST be of the intentional variety which would give us 2 outs.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
They are coming up with it because the only two options with a runner that is ON the base is either A) nothing or B) intentional interference and 2 outs.

1 out is not a choice, but that's what we got. I don't think anyone is saying we SHOULD have 2 outs here or the runner intentionally interfered... they are just saying that IF we have interference, it MUST be of the intentional variety which would give us 2 outs.
I edited my quoted post while you were commenting.

The citation does not say interference must be ruled intentional. It says if ruled intentional get 2.

I think they blew it. It should have been protested so it got cleared up.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:

The citation does not say interference must be ruled intentional. It says if ruled intentional get 2.

Actually it does say it must be ruled intentional:

Quote:
If in contact with the base AND the hindrance is intentional, the penalty is both the runner and the batter are called out. If it is not intentional, you don't have interference.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

I've seen a couple of news articles where Leyland says that he spoke with the umpires the next day and they admitted that they made a bad call. But I can't find any details of exactly what they told him or what part of the call they think was wrong.

I wonder if they think the call was bad because it shouldn't have been interference in the first place or if they should have also called the batter out if it was interference?

Last edited by BretMan; Tue Sep 25, 2012 at 10:09am.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I think they blew it too...
But the citation DOES say that interference must be ruled intentional. If unintentional, and he's on the base ... it's not interference.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

In my opinion the umpire got the call wrong and then applied the wrong penalty for good measure.
The comment for 7.08(b) indicates that the runner is not required to abandon a legally occupied base to yield to a fielder. His only obligation is to avoid be hit by the ball (unless it's a declared infield fly).
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Is it possible that U2 mixed up interference while touching a base with being hit by a batted ball while touching a base?
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Just for educational purposes, if I was one of the other umpires in this scenario, what should I do?
a) absolutely nothing
b) absolutely nothing unless asked by U2
c) stroll over and kindly say "you know, he was on the bag so he's not out unless it's intentional".
d) other