The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
Not unless someone utters the words "I protest". You have no idea what his ruling is and therefore, should not be getting involved. He may have ruled something that you do not know what the call was.
Not in this case.

There is no possibility that R2 and only R2 was out. You have to intervene.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 06:15am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Something to consider.
Just out of curiosity, how many times have you used it, and for what? Wasn't it your state that had all the controversy over what I thought was an overkill of mechanics on what should have been the last out of the game?

I don't remember what the exact call was in the OP, but if they got two on it, they made the wrong call. I could be wrong, but wouldn't that call only pertain to FED rules.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Not in this case.

There is no possibility that R2 and only R2 was out. You have to intervene.
Actually, there is if you don't know why he is calling R2 out. Suppose this, even for this play. The ball is deemed to have touched R2 by U2. Do you know that at the time of the play? No. And, if the ball is judged to have touched R2 b/c of U2 being straightlined and losing view of it, how do you know he didn't judge it to be that without asking him?

And, if he did judge it to be that, then R2 is the only one out on it without any intent to interfere. Again, you have NO idea what the call is for and should not be attempting to intervene when you don't know what the call is. And, it is NOT your job to find out what the call is. It is the manager's. If he doesn't do it, then no one does it.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 07:51am
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Not unless someone utters the words "I protest". You have no idea what his ruling is and therefore, should not be getting involved. He may have ruled something that you do not know what the call was.
If this happens in my game I'm going right to the calling umpire and ask him what he has - I'm not going to wait for someone to say "protest", which usually comes after a lengthy and heated discussion.
It was certainly obvious to me that the calling umpire screwed up, and it was also obvious to me that it was a rules boo-boo no matter WHAT the call was.
I hope that if I would ever be the calling umpire here that another umpire would come to me immediately to find out what I called. If this is corrected quickly and appropriately it reduces the crap that's inevitably going to fly.
Heck, the MLB guys huddle up for everything else - why not a cut and dried one like this?

JJ
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Most of the time, I agree. If there is SOME judgement call that ends with the result the umpire gave, then I understand what you're saying.

Unfortunately, in this case, there was NO judgement decision by that umpire that results in one and only one out. Either he judged intentional interference which results in 2 outs, or he didn't which results in zero. 1 is just not an option here. Therefore SOME rule misapplication must be at play here and you MUST get together to fix it.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, there is if you don't know why he is calling R2 out. Suppose this, even for this play. The ball is deemed to have touched R2 by U2. Do you know that at the time of the play? No. And, if the ball is judged to have touched R2 b/c of U2 being straightlined and losing view of it, how do you know he didn't judge it to be that without asking him?

And, if he did judge it to be that, then R2 is the only one out on it without any intent to interfere. Again, you have NO idea what the call is for and should not be attempting to intervene when you don't know what the call is. And, it is NOT your job to find out what the call is. It is the manager's. If he doesn't do it, then no one does it.
If it hit R2 wouldn't the ball have passed thru or by the fielder in the OP?
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
If it hit R2 wouldn't the ball have passed thru or by the fielder in the OP?
Not while it was still in the air.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
If this happens in my game I'm going right to the calling umpire and ask him what he has - I'm not going to wait for someone to say "protest", which usually comes after a lengthy and heated discussion.
It was certainly obvious to me that the calling umpire screwed up, and it was also obvious to me that it was a rules boo-boo no matter WHAT the call was.
I hope that if I would ever be the calling umpire here that another umpire would come to me immediately to find out what I called. If this is corrected quickly and appropriately it reduces the crap that's inevitably going to fly.
Heck, the MLB guys huddle up for everything else - why not a cut and dried one like this?

JJ
If this happens in your game, go ask if you feel it necessary. But, no umpire should be approaching b/c he thinks the call is wrong. He may very well be wrong and be the biggest jackass on the field. And, just proved it. Wait until asked for help. Again, you have NO idea what the call was and should not be approaching to find out what the call is. That is the calling umpire's territory until you are invited into it.

They probably didn't huddle b/c none of the others knew what the call was and decided it best to wait until they were asked.

Last edited by GA Umpire; Thu Sep 27, 2012 at 12:13pm.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Most of the time, I agree. If there is SOME judgement call that ends with the result the umpire gave, then I understand what you're saying.

Unfortunately, in this case, there was NO judgement decision by that umpire that results in one and only one out. Either he judged intentional interference which results in 2 outs, or he didn't which results in zero. 1 is just not an option here. Therefore SOME rule misapplication must be at play here and you MUST get together to fix it.
How do you know there was no judgment by him to result in 1 out? Do you know exactly what the call was? Everyone speculates it was b/c of his arm motion and whatever else he did. No one knows what that call was at the time of the call except the calling umpire. May be why none of the others stepped on his call either. Until it was explained to them, they didn't know what it was and left him to make his call until asked.

It appears the group hugging and stepping on other umpire's toes is trickling down into the lower ranks. I thought it was a bad precedent being set then and hoped it would not go further than that. I guess I was wrong and doing some wishful thinking. I own my calls and only ask if I need to (which is rare). I expect my partners to do the same and respect my responsibilities to be left to me to handle.

Last edited by GA Umpire; Thu Sep 27, 2012 at 12:16pm.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How do you know there was no judgment by him to result in 1 out? Do you know exactly what the call was? Everyone speculates it was b/c of his arm motion and whatever else he did. No one knows what that call was at the time of the call except the calling umpire. May be why none of the others stepped on his call either. Until it was explained to them, they didn't know what it was and left him to make his call until asked.

It appears the group hugging and stepping on other umpire's toes is trickling down into the lower ranks. I thought it was a bad precedent being set then and hoped it would not go further than that. I guess I was wrong and doing some wishful thinking. I own my calls and only ask if I need to (which is rare). I expect my partners to do the same and respect my responsibilities to be left to me to handle.
I did not think, from what we've seen, that the ball hitting the runner could possibly be in the umpire's mind, especially after the circle-around signal, whatever that was. I'm not in the "stop everything, discuss everything, get every call right at all costs" crowd - far from it.

But if you have a strong idea that a rule has been misinterpreted (rule ... not judgement), you MUST address it.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not while it was still in the air.
Based on the OP video I have the ball behind the fielder and passed his outstretched glove when the possibility of it hitting the runner exists.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

I think two outs were called. Note in the video, when O'nora is talking to the manager, the insert shows no one on base.

Rita
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
I think two outs were called. Note in the video, when O'nora is talking to the manager, the insert shows no one on base.

Rita
The box score shows FC for the batter and in the video I believe he ends up at 1B. I'll check again.

After checking it's confirmed only Casillas was out and Span went to 1B as FC. Span is on 1B when Revere K's for 3rd out.

Last edited by umpjim; Thu Sep 27, 2012 at 04:03pm.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post

Rita
Perhaps ... but there was 1 out before this play... and 2 outs afterward.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I did not think, from what we've seen, that the ball hitting the runner could possibly be in the umpire's mind, especially after the circle-around signal, whatever that was. I'm not in the "stop everything, discuss everything, get every call right at all costs" crowd - far from it.

But if you have a strong idea that a rule has been misinterpreted (rule ... not judgement), you MUST address it.
Then, you better be damn sure of yourself. And, be prepared for the fall out with your partner for not respecting his area. If you think that, give a look and hope he sees it. But, if he doesn't, nothing to address until the team addresses it themselves.

And, you better also be damn sure it had nothing to do with judgment before even thinking about it. I still say it is his call until he asks for help on it. Don't approach him at all since you don't know why the call was made until it is explained.