View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
How do you know there was no judgment by him to result in 1 out? Do you know exactly what the call was? Everyone speculates it was b/c of his arm motion and whatever else he did. No one knows what that call was at the time of the call except the calling umpire. May be why none of the others stepped on his call either. Until it was explained to them, they didn't know what it was and left him to make his call until asked.

It appears the group hugging and stepping on other umpire's toes is trickling down into the lower ranks. I thought it was a bad precedent being set then and hoped it would not go further than that. I guess I was wrong and doing some wishful thinking. I own my calls and only ask if I need to (which is rare). I expect my partners to do the same and respect my responsibilities to be left to me to handle.
I did not think, from what we've seen, that the ball hitting the runner could possibly be in the umpire's mind, especially after the circle-around signal, whatever that was. I'm not in the "stop everything, discuss everything, get every call right at all costs" crowd - far from it.

But if you have a strong idea that a rule has been misinterpreted (rule ... not judgement), you MUST address it.

West Houston Mike