The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Wolf -
Okay. So you had the catcher moving out to contact, changes things a bit.
How did catcher get the ball? Catchers can't balk. They can interfere with batters or obstruct runners. Catcher is entitled to be in basepath if he has the ball. He doesn't have to "move to the side to make the tag". Runner still has choices to avoid contact.

As for the "You're out Fatboy" comment.Just plain stupid. I hear that comment as a coach and you've just opened the door for tons of abuse that day. And you will get it. Stick with the basic"Out or Safe; You're out or You're safe".
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Wool,
I don't think Wolf was saying he said "you're out, fatboy".
He means the catcher said that to the runner coming in home.

I would think that any umpire worth his salt would never make any kind of derogatory statement like that to a player.

BTW...a catcher can balk. One instance: on an intentional walk, if the catcher steps out of the catcher box before the pitcher releases the ball, a balk can be called on the catcher.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Trojans73
BTW...a catcher can balk. One instance: on an intentional walk, if the catcher steps out of the catcher box before the pitcher releases the ball, a balk can be called on the catcher.
"A balk is an illegal act by the pitcher ..."

The balk you refer to is on the pitcher for pitching when F2 is out of the catcher's box. IT's no different from F1 throwing to F3 not on the bag (nor in position to make a play). We don't call that "a balk on the first baseman."
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by Trojans73
"A balk is an illegal act by the pitcher ..."

The balk you refer to is on the pitcher for pitching when F2 is out of the catcher's box. IT's no different from F1 throwing to F3 not on the bag (nor in position to make a play). We don't call that "a balk on the first baseman."

Thanks Bob...you're right. I stand corrected.
Old Wed Jul 09, 2003, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Ah, thats good to know. But the only thing I can think that the catcher did illegally, other than sportsmanship would be "catchers interference?"

And no, it was NOT ME who said "you're out fat boy!"

haha, sort of funny that if I did say it.
Old Wed Jul 09, 2003, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Did the catcher interfere with the batter's attempt to strike the ball? If not, no interference.

How did a catcher manage to get under a runner attempting to slide ?

Good to hear it was not your comment.
Old Wed Jul 09, 2003, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Ya know, you're really gettin too detailed into this thread. But, for your enjoyment...the runner was in the process of sliding, body sort of in mid air (feet just left the ground)...catcher (doing what he SHOULD do) has glove on the ground...however, catcher does what he SHOULDN'T do (in YOUTH basebal mind you)...and pops the kid over his shuolder and flips him.

sequence of events:

Runner on third
Pitcher in motion to pitch
runner starts for home
Catcher, sees runner, jumps infront of batter to catch ball,
runner goes down line
catcher runs towards third

details aforementioned ensue.

I will end with saying, I made the right call, in the interest of the game. I threw a kid out who was damaging to the game. IMO, Umpires shuold look out for the players as well as the game (im YOUTH ball, that is...dont want to frazzle any Umps of the Big Show). I was looking out for both. If you want some more info for SNG's, then I can provide you with some, down to the players uniform pattern. But the fact remains, I made a call, and stuck with it. End of Story...

Old Wed Jul 09, 2003, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonewolf986
I will end with saying, I made the right call, in the interest of the game. I threw a kid out who was damaging to the game. IMO, Umpires shuold look out for the players as well as the game (im YOUTH ball, that is...dont want to frazzle any Umps of the Big Show). I was looking out for both. If you want some more info for SNG's, then I can provide you with some, down to the players uniform pattern. But the fact remains, I made a call, and stuck with it. End of Story...
Settle, petal! *HUGE grin* It sounds like you're gettin' a might peeved at all the questions. That's par for the course on discussion boards, believe me.

FWIW, umpires "should look out for the players" no matter what the level. Consider the Maddux broken bat throwing incident as a prime case in point. OBR 9.01(a) lists not one but TWO distinct responsibilities for the umpire:
  1. Conduct of the game in accordance with the rules, and

2. Maintenance of discipline and order on the playing field
If you don't take action over blatent foul play, the players and coaches probably will. It may be as subtle as a ball in the ear of the next batter, or it may be as brutal as an all in brawl. It is your job to ensure those things don't happen. Too many umpires don't realise that. They think their responsibilities end with enforcement of the rules. If that were so, there would be no need for OBR 9.01(b) or (c).

The only comment I might make on the call is that it was probably catcher's interference - OBR 6.08(c) - so the batter should get 1st base and all other runners should be advanced if forced or stealing. If your partner really wanted to stick it to the defense he could have elected to enforce OBR 7.07 instead, charge a balk to the pitcher and advance ALL runners whether stealing or not. That's really not in keeping with the spirit of the rules, since there is an argument that OBR 6.08(c) was probably intended to supercede OBR 7.07. What you guys did with the offending catcher for unsporting conduct was just fine and dandy by me. *grin*

Hope this helps

Cheers

[Edited by Warren Willson on Jul 9th, 2003 at 08:00 PM]
Old Wed Jul 09, 2003, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

haha, nah, I was gettin just a leeeeetle annoyed. I thought I had explained it well enough, but maybe I didn't.

All in all...the thing that drove me in this thread was seeing the kid sit the bench the next game like Tiny Tim at Christmas Dinner.

heartbreaking. Funny in the fact that he was bragging about getting roughed up...but overall...*tear*

ha

Old Thu Jul 10, 2003, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

This happened a couple of years ago. Texas High School 4A Baseball, visiting team ahead 3-1 6th inning. The whole game visiting team catcher would set-up on the outside corner when the pitch came he would reach out a few inches and catch the pitch. Ball: all of the fans wanted a strike called. Every time he did this I'd call the pitch a ball and the fans started the HOMER chant. After the top of the 6th the visiting coach approached me and I assumed he was going to give me line-up changes. He asked "Don't you hate these fans! I have the worse fans in the state, I think you're calling a great game you can call for me anytime." I laughed and said "The funny thing is I am from XXXXXXX." (A town that is an arch rival of the home team) The coach knew of the rivalry (as does everyone in the state)and started laughing. He then walked over to the backstop where his fans were and told them "you guys are so f@#%$#g stupid that ump you call homer is from XXXXXXX." Didn't hear another word the rest of the game the fans!
Old Fri Jul 11, 2003, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Homer

Ok tasoump...I don't get it...What is the HOMER chant?

Does it have anything to do with "The Simpsons" or with a 4-bagger?
Old Fri Jul 11, 2003, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

HOMER: Fan of the Home team, i.e. all calls go to the home team, How much did the home team pay you? What position does your son play?

Not to be confused with Homer Simpson DOH!!
Old Fri Jul 11, 2003, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Situation,

Coach starts questioning my partner's call.

I tell the coach:
"You can't appeal to the Umpire NOT making that call...if you want an appeal, go to him."

Coach says:
"Son, I've been playing MLB for 17yrs, I know more baseball then you'll EVER know!"

I says:
"Thats great!....so how many years of Umpiring?"

Coach walks away looking puzzled...

P.S. If anyone can find a Ball player in the Major Leagues named BILL (William) Harding. That would be great. I've looked for a couple days now, and so far, no dice. I guess he was just talkin some jive!
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to Bainer Send a message via Yahoo to Bainer
Exchange with coach

Top of 3rd, 100+ degrees out, 1st game of doubleheader. Senior ball (semi-pro).

Catcher of home team comes out and says "Be careful this half, Rich (home team manager) wants to go."
I assumed that he 'go' like fight, or argue, but he wanted to LEAVE.
Pitch for pitch, his gafaws and harumhs grew louder from the dugouts.
Finally, after a clear ball, he stormed out and got in my face screaming and yelling, questioning my lineage, and insinuating things about my mother. I took it all, every word, every drop of spittle, everything- When he had worn himself out, and was standing infront of me winded and heaving, a leaned into him, still having not said a word, and whispered "If I have to stay, you have to stay."
With that he fired his hat into the dugout and them marched back in.
Every inning after that he would scream some sort of excuse out onto the field- "C'mon Bain, I've got a wedding to go to...", or "My wife is going to kill me if I'm not home in the next 45min.", etc.
The saddest part was that in the 6th inning of the second game, he legitimately argued a play at 3rd, and our 3rd base umpire ejected him.
On his way off of the field he walked past me and said "There's not much you can learn from that idiot...but see how he ejected me? Why couldn't you do that five hours ago?"

Bainer.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to Bainer Send a message via Yahoo to Bainer
Exchange with coach

Top of 3rd, 100+ degrees out, 1st game of doubleheader. Senior ball (semi-pro).

Catcher of home team comes out and says "Be careful this half, Rich (home team manager) wants to go."
I assumed that he meant 'go' like fight, or argue, but he wanted to LEAVE.
Pitch for pitch, his gafaws and harumphs grew louder from the dugouts.
Finally, after a clear ball, he stormed out and got in my face screaming and yelling, questioning my lineage, and insinuating things about my mother. I took it all, every word, every drop of spittle, everything- When he had worn himself out, and was standing infront of me winded and heaving, I leaned into him, still having not said a word, and whispered "If I have to stay, you have to stay."
With that he fired his hat into the dugout and them marched back in.
Every inning after that he would scream some sort of excuse out onto the field- "C'mon Bain, I've got a wedding to go to...", or "I've got tickets to the Tigers game", or "My wife is going to kill me if I'm not home in the next 45min.", etc.
The saddest part was that in the 6th inning of the second game, he legitimately argued a play at 3rd, and our 3rd base umpire ejected him.
On his way off of the field he walked past me and said "There's not much you can learn from that idiot...but see how he ejected me? Why couldn't you do that five hours ago?"

Bainer.