View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 09, 2003, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonewolf986
I will end with saying, I made the right call, in the interest of the game. I threw a kid out who was damaging to the game. IMO, Umpires shuold look out for the players as well as the game (im YOUTH ball, that is...dont want to frazzle any Umps of the Big Show). I was looking out for both. If you want some more info for SNG's, then I can provide you with some, down to the players uniform pattern. But the fact remains, I made a call, and stuck with it. End of Story...
Settle, petal! *HUGE grin* It sounds like you're gettin' a might peeved at all the questions. That's par for the course on discussion boards, believe me.

FWIW, umpires "should look out for the players" no matter what the level. Consider the Maddux broken bat throwing incident as a prime case in point. OBR 9.01(a) lists not one but TWO distinct responsibilities for the umpire:
  1. Conduct of the game in accordance with the rules, and

2. Maintenance of discipline and order on the playing field
If you don't take action over blatent foul play, the players and coaches probably will. It may be as subtle as a ball in the ear of the next batter, or it may be as brutal as an all in brawl. It is your job to ensure those things don't happen. Too many umpires don't realise that. They think their responsibilities end with enforcement of the rules. If that were so, there would be no need for OBR 9.01(b) or (c).

The only comment I might make on the call is that it was probably catcher's interference - OBR 6.08(c) - so the batter should get 1st base and all other runners should be advanced if forced or stealing. If your partner really wanted to stick it to the defense he could have elected to enforce OBR 7.07 instead, charge a balk to the pitcher and advance ALL runners whether stealing or not. That's really not in keeping with the spirit of the rules, since there is an argument that OBR 6.08(c) was probably intended to supercede OBR 7.07. What you guys did with the offending catcher for unsporting conduct was just fine and dandy by me. *grin*

Hope this helps

Cheers

[Edited by Warren Willson on Jul 9th, 2003 at 08:00 PM]