View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 02, 2003, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness
All;

In case Little League umpires feel that they are the only ones that have to listen to stupid things that coaches say, read the following:

Last night I was working a game in the Valley League. This is a league of excellent college players played in a professional environment. There were about 600 paid attendance, numerous minor league style promotions, and all manner of bells and whistles. (No umpires' dressing room, yet. We aren't that high on the food chain!)

The home team came into the game with a record of 2-13 and the visiors had a record of 13-3 so we were expecting a blowout.

Lo and behold, the home team is miraculously up 2-0 in late innings when one of the visitors steals second. At this point in the game there had been absolutely no controversy about anything. Anyway, I called him safe and the home team coach came running onto the field and yelled:

"You wanted him to be safe. You are determined to help the other team."

I had had no close calls up to this point (and I had no close calls afterward) so I was surprised at his comment. It was so absurd that I had to stifle a laugh. I said. "That's one of the most riduculous things that I have ever heard. All umpires want outs. Furthermore, if the home team wins, that's 3 fewer outs that I have to call."

He turned around and went back to the dugout and the rest of the game was played without any further ado. Home team prevailed 2-1.

He was just putting on a show for his team and the home team fans. At least he could have said something more intelligent.

Oh well!

Peter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~`
I work a few of those types, called semi-pro here, last years opener, I get a late phone call, "ya wanna work, get out here".First game, 9 innings in just under 1:45, I had third in a three man. Second game, scheduled 7, we worked 2 man, I again on sacks. Visiting team from South SF area is very good as are the local guys. Visitors maybe rolled 2 DP's the first 1/2 of the second game, seemed like home had better middle infielders, they musta rolled bout 10 DP's(game went 17). After the 4th or 5th DP by home, Visiting skippy comes running out, stops at foul line and asks for time...granted...He then casually walks to me and sez, "GODDA###T, Chris, you can't make it automatic!!!(the back 1/2 of the DP)YOU JUST CAN"T". I sez, "What is automatic? The outs that ARE outs?" Then, before he really blows a gasket, "Mike(or whatever his name was)this is kids nite here, they all got in free, look around..." Then under his breath, "Goda### Chris, awww....F##### it"

Really amazing part, home had an ace on the hill, side-armer I used to work in FED ball, they couldn't touch him. Home got the lead-off batter on the last 5 innings and would bunt him to second. Then visitors would IBB the next guy and roll 2. Finally in the 17th, visitors F7 made a lousy(I wanna go drink beer) effort on a lazy fly..game over