View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 15, 2003, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to Bainer Send a message via Yahoo to Bainer
Exchange with coach

Top of 3rd, 100+ degrees out, 1st game of doubleheader. Senior ball (semi-pro).

Catcher of home team comes out and says "Be careful this half, Rich (home team manager) wants to go."
I assumed that he 'go' like fight, or argue, but he wanted to LEAVE.
Pitch for pitch, his gafaws and harumhs grew louder from the dugouts.
Finally, after a clear ball, he stormed out and got in my face screaming and yelling, questioning my lineage, and insinuating things about my mother. I took it all, every word, every drop of spittle, everything- When he had worn himself out, and was standing infront of me winded and heaving, a leaned into him, still having not said a word, and whispered "If I have to stay, you have to stay."
With that he fired his hat into the dugout and them marched back in.
Every inning after that he would scream some sort of excuse out onto the field- "C'mon Bain, I've got a wedding to go to...", or "My wife is going to kill me if I'm not home in the next 45min.", etc.
The saddest part was that in the 6th inning of the second game, he legitimately argued a play at 3rd, and our 3rd base umpire ejected him.
On his way off of the field he walked past me and said "There's not much you can learn from that idiot...but see how he ejected me? Why couldn't you do that five hours ago?"

Bainer.