The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 30, 2012, 02:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Like that notorious Jesus fellow.
I'd heard that, too, about politicians, and think it simply comes from focus groups' perceptions. Probably subconscious.

There are obvious historical exceptions, but there's a reason people like Gov. Richardson (NM) shave their beards once they start gaining aspirations for a higher office that requires the trust of people they've never met.
Old Sat Jun 30, 2012, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
How many politicians wear beards?

It creates the perception of not being trustworthy.

Our association has no policy against it.
I'm confused: are you asserting that many politicians wear beards, and thus beards make one appear untrustworthy?

Or that [credit George Carlin]:
"Karl Marx wore a beard .. Lenin wore a beard .. (Gabby Hayes wore whiskers!)" - somehow beards are "untrutworthy" and so politicians avoid wearing them?

Are you forgetting "Honest Abe"? - and about half of the men elected president in the 1800's?

Beards are a cultural manifestation that come and go according to fashion whims over time.

Last edited by cbfoulds; Sat Jun 30, 2012 at 03:27pm.
Old Sat Jun 30, 2012, 03:09pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Not to mention Abraham Lincoln. Horribly untrustworthy.
So you named one person, and one "mythical" character. If beards were held in positive public image, I can promise you our elected officials would wear beards, including the women if they could pull it off.

I'm not saying I have an issue with people with beards...but in terms of perception...it can be an issue.

Last edited by johnnyg08; Sat Jun 30, 2012 at 06:03pm.
Old Sat Jun 30, 2012, 03:10pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
Yeah...A drunkard who kicked butt! By the way, it was terms not term. he was re-elected.
Okay terms, the country got raped while he sat on his butt drunk for eight years. Not one of America's finest moments.

Think George W. Bush
Old Sat Jun 30, 2012, 03:13pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Not to mention Abraham Lincoln. Horribly untrustworthy.
Lincoln was a racist. He just didn't believe in slavery. Anyway the Civil War was about states rights. Slavery became an issue afterwards.
Old Sat Jun 30, 2012, 03:16pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Lincoln was a racist. He just didn't believe in slavery. Anyway the Civil War was about states rights. Slavery became an issue afterwards.
More revisionist history from the master.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jun 30, 2012, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
How is your association about umpires sporting beards?
  1. Does your association allow them?
  2. Does your association request that they be a certain length?
  3. Does your association limit your assignments because you have a beard?
To the substance of the OP:

My assn has no such policy, other than a general expectation that one be clean and neatly groomed. I was [at one time] told that the main NCAA umpire group in my area DOES have such a policy - beards not welcome. If HHH still reads/ posts here, he could, perhaps, give more current or accurate info on that.

So far as I can tell, my assignments are not limited or effected in any way by my [distinctly NOT "ZZ Top"-style] beard, which has no effect on my comfort in plate gear during summer games.
Old Sat Jun 30, 2012, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay terms, the country got raped while he sat on his butt drunk for eight years. Not one of America's finest moments.

Think George W. Bush
Interesting read of the history. Grant, at the time of his death, was well-beloved by [OK, most of] the country, including not a few ex-Confederates; which believed him to have been a decent President notwithstanding the corruption of many of his assosciates in and out of his administration.

Color me skeptical that GWB has, or ever will have, even a substantial moiety of his own party who thinks as well of him.
Old Sat Jun 30, 2012, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is not correct.

Lincoln wanted to keep slavery from spreading. He didn't have any qualms about slavery, so he did "believe" in it. He was willing to do whatever he needed to keep the Union together.

If you don't think the Civil War was about slavery, you didn't pay attention when they covered everything from about 1815 on during history class.
Old Sat Jun 30, 2012, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Let's jump to the present, shall we?

Name a politician with facial hair. They're few and far between, FOR A REASON. It's a commonly known fact, that present day Americans do not trust folks with facial hair. You can choose to believe it, or not. Some trace it back to Hitler, and others the Cold War, with Stalin. Me, I believe it was Snidley Whiplash that started it all.

Also, that same holds for women with bangs. But to a lesser extent.

Both are considered, again, this is the "masses" talking, to be hiding something.
Old Sat Jun 30, 2012, 06:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfoulds View Post
Interesting read of the history. Grant, at the time of his death, was well-beloved by [OK, most of] the country, including not a few ex-Confederates; which believed him to have been a decent President notwithstanding the corruption of many of his assosciates in and out of his administration.

Color me skeptical that GWB has, or ever will have, even a substantial moiety of his own party who thinks as well of him.
Different times, you'll be hard pressed to find a modern day (served within memory for a substantial portion of voters) president who gets a favorable review from a majority of voters. Reagan and Clinton may be the only ones who get even the majority of their own party. Before Reagan, you have to go back to Kennedy.

Not saying that's the only reason, but it's not insignificant either.
Old Sat Jun 30, 2012, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
As I said, no evidence whatsoever ... not counting speculation, inference, educated guessing, etc. etc.

He was a Rabbi. Evidence enough.
Old Sat Jun 30, 2012, 06:05pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Let's jump to the present, shall we?

Name a politician with facial hair. They're few and far between, FOR A REASON. It's a commonly known fact, that present day Americans do not trust folks with facial hair. You can choose to believe it, or not. Some trace it back to Hitler, and others the Cold War, with Stalin. Me, I believe it was Snidley Whiplash that started it all.

Also, that same holds for women with bangs. But to a lesser extent.

Both are considered, again, this is the "masses" talking, to be hiding something.
thank you Kyle
Old Sat Jun 30, 2012, 06:58pm
Veteran College Umpire

So I can keep my bangs but my wife has to shave her beard....sigh...

JJ
Old Sat Jun 30, 2012, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Different times, you'll be hard pressed to find a modern day (served within memory for a substantial portion of voters) president who gets a favorable review from a majority of voters. Reagan and Clinton may be the only ones who get even the majority of their own party. Before Reagan, you have to go back to Kennedy.

Not saying that's the only reason, but it's not insignificant either.
No argument from me on the lack of general esteem for "modern" presidents.

I'd surmise that differences in character, rather than merely the "times", were mostly responsible; and MY GWB reference was merely in response to the analogy suggested/ made by Mr. Tyler, not intended [by me] to cut GWB out from the herd including either the current occupant, nor any of the living [or even deceased-but-within-living-memory] precedents.