View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 11, 2012, 08:28am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Sorry RadioBlue, if you forget the count mentally or forget to move the wheel, either way you have an error. I used to carry one and got so good that I only had to look at it occasionally. A friend of mine challenged me to not use one and I found out I made less errors than using one at all. So I switch about 20 yrs ago.

What works for you and others is totally your business. I am also aware that some Associations and Leagues require it use. Over the years though, I have generally found 3 reasons that some insist on its use.

1. Tradition. (Sometimes called stubbornness to change)
2. Perception. (Some people just can't imagine others having this ability).
3. Inability. (Some people just don't have this ability).

As with so many other officiating qualities, how you get the calls correct is up to you. Just get them correct the best you can.
J: Good points. If you use your brain or an indicator as your tool to keep track of the count and you use either improperly, you're in trouble. I have no issue with umpires who are able not using an indicator. I've just seen some who don't use them give other who do crap for doing so. I don't think that's very productive and could put an umpire in a bad spot trying to "impress" or "look cool." "To each their own" is fine by me, but some guys need to lay off those who use them. There is the belief among some who think those who use indicators are somehow inferior.