The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 16, 2012, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Lookin for an eval

3rd game in after two year layoff. I felt good, was looking for some feedback.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DzzO...e_gdata_player

Last edited by thumpferee; Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 01:25pm. Reason: Link
Old Mon Apr 16, 2012, 01:24pm

The link appears broken.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2012, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
The link appears broken.
I hoped edit worked. Had wrong link. Tx
Old Mon Apr 16, 2012, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Hmm,

First, welcome back.

We expect certain things out of our umpires that I am not seeing in this clip.

When a ball is hit to the infield we expect a lot more hustle and movement out of our PU. You really aren't even leaving the dirt circle.

We also require our umpires to keep batters in the batter's box. We remind them not to forget that one foot must always be in the box once an a bat starts.

We would like to see you stay down longer on pitches. This starts with staying down on "Balls." This makes it easier to stay in place long enough when it is a tough strike call.

The funniest thing about your video is right after a guy is called out on strikes the catcher appears to dust off the outside corner of the plate.

I am not trying to be too critical as 85% of what you do looks great! Just concentrate on the details and all else will fall into place.

T
Old Mon Apr 16, 2012, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

How did you go from a ground ball out to a foul ball?

What was the input your partner gave you that caused you to change the call and why didn't he help you from the get-go?

Ditto here on the timing (not unexpected after a layoff) and the hustle (no excuse) issues.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2012, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thank You T!

Good to be back and hear from you!

I'm glad you didn't mention my toss-backs, . I'm still healing from a broken arm.

I appreciate the feedback, agree 100%
Old Mon Apr 16, 2012, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Most of what you're doing looks fine. I agree with the comments about getting out from behind the plate further. You also need to exit to the left of the catcher, in my opinion. The one thing that caught my eye, is that it appears you are still dropping into position as the pitch is on the way. I would suggest setting up slightly quicker so you can track the pitch from a stationary position instead of while you're still dropping down.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2012, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Great question!

[QUOTE=asdf;837579]How did you go from a ground ball out to a foul ball?

Learned from a mistake I'll never make again. I read the play through as it happened and the batter didn't react in a way that told me he was hit, and I was straight lined, so I let play go. Coach came out and asked for help, I obliged, first mistake. Second was my P saying it hit him. My first thought was why didn't you kill it, but I went with getting the call right and changed the call, second mistake. The call was right to begin with
Old Mon Apr 16, 2012, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=REFANDUMP;837593]The one thing that caught my eye, is that it appears you are still dropping into position as the pitch is on the way. I would suggest setting up slightly quicker so you can track the pitch from a stationary position instead of while you're still dropping down.[/QUOTE]

Agree with the above. Looks like your head is still moving as the pitch gets there. Also, looks like you may actually, be getting a little too low behind the catcher.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2012, 08:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFANDUMP View Post
The one thing that caught my eye, is that it appears you are still dropping into position as the pitch is on the way. I would suggest setting up slightly quicker so you can track the pitch from a stationary position instead of while you're still dropping down.
I work with a guy that does this and it drives me nuts. He went to Jim Evans Academy a few years back, and says that it is how he was trained, to drop down when the pitch has just left the pitcher's hand. I questioned him on this and he insists he's doing it right. It really weirds me out, truthfully. If I tried getting set that late I would totally miss pitches. Which he does, IMO. He is a pretty damn good umpire in all other areas, he just freaks me out with his setup. I set when the pitcher kicks his free foot.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Apr 16, 2012, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I work with a guy that does this and it drives me nuts. He went to Jim Evans Academy a few years back, and says that it is how he was trained, to drop down when the pitch has just left the pitcher's hand. I questioned him on this and he insists he's doing it right. It really weirds me out, truthfully. If I tried getting set that late I would totally miss pitches. Which he does, IMO. He is a pretty damn good umpire in all other areas, he just freaks me out with his setup. I set when the pitcher kicks his free foot.
I set when the catcher does. I don't want to be moving when the pitcher releases the ball.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
I set when the catcher does. I don't want to be moving when the pitcher releases the ball.
Me too. Me neither.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
Good to be back and hear from you!

I'm glad you didn't mention my toss-backs, . I'm still healing from a broken arm.

I appreciate the feedback, agree 100%
For the record, a lot of us (self included) don't toss anything back. I hand the ball to the catcher.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

throw back

Many years ago, just starting out, I had situation where I had pitcher looking straight at me and when I tossed ball back he lost it in sun and took a shot right in middle of chest. I didn't throw it very hard and he wasn't hurt but I felt terrible and have not tossed back since. Lesson learned.
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 505 ump View Post
Many years ago, just starting out, I had situation where I had pitcher looking straight at me and when I tossed ball back he lost it in sun and took a shot right in middle of chest. I didn't throw it very hard and he wasn't hurt but I felt terrible and have not tossed back since. Lesson learned.
I had a partner hit a kid in the cup. I'd never done it since then and don't do it now, unless it's a soft toss from a few feet away (usually after the catcher takes a hard shot).