The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Lookin for an eval (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/90615-lookin-eval.html)

thumpferee Mon Apr 16, 2012 01:17pm

Lookin for an eval

3rd game in after two year layoff. I felt good, was looking for some feedback.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DzzO...e_gdata_player

RadioBlue Mon Apr 16, 2012 01:24pm

The link appears broken.

thumpferee Mon Apr 16, 2012 01:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadioBlue (Post 837567)
The link appears broken.

I hoped edit worked. Had wrong link. Tx

Tim C Mon Apr 16, 2012 01:58pm

Hmm,

First, welcome back.

We expect certain things out of our umpires that I am not seeing in this clip.

When a ball is hit to the infield we expect a lot more hustle and movement out of our PU. You really aren't even leaving the dirt circle.

We also require our umpires to keep batters in the batter's box. We remind them not to forget that one foot must always be in the box once an a bat starts.

We would like to see you stay down longer on pitches. This starts with staying down on "Balls." This makes it easier to stay in place long enough when it is a tough strike call.

The funniest thing about your video is right after a guy is called out on strikes the catcher appears to dust off the outside corner of the plate.

I am not trying to be too critical as 85% of what you do looks great! Just concentrate on the details and all else will fall into place.

T

asdf Mon Apr 16, 2012 02:14pm

How did you go from a ground ball out to a foul ball?

What was the input your partner gave you that caused you to change the call and why didn't he help you from the get-go?

Ditto here on the timing (not unexpected after a layoff) and the hustle (no excuse) issues.

thumpferee Mon Apr 16, 2012 02:21pm

Thank You T!

Good to be back and hear from you!

I'm glad you didn't mention my toss-backs, :). I'm still healing from a broken arm.

I appreciate the feedback, agree 100%

REFANDUMP Mon Apr 16, 2012 03:44pm

Most of what you're doing looks fine. I agree with the comments about getting out from behind the plate further. You also need to exit to the left of the catcher, in my opinion. The one thing that caught my eye, is that it appears you are still dropping into position as the pitch is on the way. I would suggest setting up slightly quicker so you can track the pitch from a stationary position instead of while you're still dropping down.

thumpferee Mon Apr 16, 2012 06:58pm

Great question!

[QUOTE=asdf;837579]How did you go from a ground ball out to a foul ball?

Learned from a mistake I'll never make again. I read the play through as it happened and the batter didn't react in a way that told me he was hit, and I was straight lined, so I let play go. Coach came out and asked for help, I obliged, first mistake. Second was my P saying it hit him. My first thought was why didn't you kill it, but I went with getting the call right and changed the call, second mistake. The call was right to begin with:eek:

smithma Mon Apr 16, 2012 07:29pm

[QUOTE=REFANDUMP;837593]The one thing that caught my eye, is that it appears you are still dropping into position as the pitch is on the way. I would suggest setting up slightly quicker so you can track the pitch from a stationary position instead of while you're still dropping down.[/QUOTE]

Agree with the above. Looks like your head is still moving as the pitch gets there. Also, looks like you may actually, be getting a little too low behind the catcher.

SanDiegoSteve Mon Apr 16, 2012 08:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by REFANDUMP (Post 837593)
The one thing that caught my eye, is that it appears you are still dropping into position as the pitch is on the way. I would suggest setting up slightly quicker so you can track the pitch from a stationary position instead of while you're still dropping down.

I work with a guy that does this and it drives me nuts. He went to Jim Evans Academy a few years back, and says that it is how he was trained, to drop down when the pitch has just left the pitcher's hand. I questioned him on this and he insists he's doing it right. It really weirds me out, truthfully. If I tried getting set that late I would totally miss pitches. Which he does, IMO. He is a pretty damn good umpire in all other areas, he just freaks me out with his setup. I set when the pitcher kicks his free foot.

dash_riprock Mon Apr 16, 2012 09:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 837623)
I work with a guy that does this and it drives me nuts. He went to Jim Evans Academy a few years back, and says that it is how he was trained, to drop down when the pitch has just left the pitcher's hand. I questioned him on this and he insists he's doing it right. It really weirds me out, truthfully. If I tried getting set that late I would totally miss pitches. Which he does, IMO. He is a pretty damn good umpire in all other areas, he just freaks me out with his setup. I set when the pitcher kicks his free foot.

I set when the catcher does. I don't want to be moving when the pitcher releases the ball.

mbyron Tue Apr 17, 2012 07:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 837630)
I set when the catcher does. I don't want to be moving when the pitcher releases the ball.

Me too. Me neither.

MD Longhorn Tue Apr 17, 2012 08:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpferee (Post 837581)
Good to be back and hear from you!

I'm glad you didn't mention my toss-backs, :). I'm still healing from a broken arm.

I appreciate the feedback, agree 100%

For the record, a lot of us (self included) don't toss anything back. I hand the ball to the catcher.

505 ump Tue Apr 17, 2012 09:33am

throw back

Many years ago, just starting out, I had situation where I had pitcher looking straight at me and when I tossed ball back he lost it in sun and took a shot right in middle of chest. I didn't throw it very hard and he wasn't hurt but I felt terrible and have not tossed back since. Lesson learned.

yawetag Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 505 ump (Post 837692)
Many years ago, just starting out, I had situation where I had pitcher looking straight at me and when I tossed ball back he lost it in sun and took a shot right in middle of chest. I didn't throw it very hard and he wasn't hurt but I felt terrible and have not tossed back since. Lesson learned.

I had a partner hit a kid in the cup. I'd never done it since then and don't do it now, unless it's a soft toss from a few feet away (usually after the catcher takes a hard shot).