The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 08, 2001, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
It's interesting that the other two new threads posted in the last 24 hours are coach-official questions, since I have a question on this topic, as well.

Last night I was supposed to have two "JV boys" games in the old gym, while the "Varisty boys" games were in the main gym. These JV boys games are usually fun since there are often several freshmen and 8th graders, and I am bdginning to feel pretty confident about my abilities at this level. But one of the partners in the main gym didn't show so I went over there, leaving a more experienced guy to work JV alone.

I was really pleased, since I have been doing quite a bit of Varsity boys in the last week and a half, and I hoped I could apply what I have learned and raise my level a little further. It was me that made the first call, and it was easy -- a very obvious PC -- but it didn't go over at all. Coach of team that fouled was very vocal about his displeasure, but I was going on about my business, when there was the need for another whistle against same team. Coach went ballistic. Comments were loud and almost "T" quality, not quite. I jogged past bench as the play went back down the floor, and said, "I heard you, coach" which was the only thing I could think of to acknowledge without discussion, but he continued to rail and rant.

Next play back the other way, my partner took advantage of a dead ball to talk to this coach. They are apparently good friends, and Partner was very effective in quieting him down and there were no more problems of any kind. In fact, coach was heard several times yelling at his guys, when I would make a call, "I told you, straight up!" "Tim, that's a travel every time!" "Vernon, just settle down!"

By the end of the game, the players on this team were talking very friendly with me, as were the players on the other team, and both coaches told me I did a good job. I had not held back on calls at all, nor had my partner. Both teams were in the double bonus by the end of each half, and the score was only a five point spread at the end of the game.

In post-game, my partner, who has always given me good criticism and advice in the past, told me that what I needed was to appear more confident and more in control. Everything else was great, according to him.

All this long lead-up to the real question: Can anyone tell me what outer appearances give a show of confidence? I felt very confident throughout the game. But that was on the inside. How do I LOOK as strong as I feel, or in some cases stronger than I feel? I know this is kind of an indefinable thing, but I am a word person and if there is another word person out there who could help me in words, I would really appreciate it.

[Edited by rainmaker on Jun 8th, 2001 at 05:45 PM]
Old Fri Jun 08, 2001, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

There are many things...

Not that I know all the details, but I have learned many. First and foremost, APPEARANCE.

Do you "look the part"? Properly attired, do you look like you want to be there, in that gym, officiating THAT game. I believe you should read: StartOfficiating.com; especially the #2 the "Gearing Up" segment.

Other observations: Showing confidence comes from a STRONG WHISTLE when you make the call is the first step in communication. CORRECT mechanics continue that process of communication: to your partner, the players, the coaches, the timer and the scorer's table (and knowledgeable fans).

And the obvious, KNOW THY RULES. With this quality, you can be confident in your clear, CONCISE response to any questions about your judgement.

HUSTLE, HUSTLE, HUSTLE. Be in position to make the call. However SLOW DOWN (STOP in the appropriate location) when reporting information to the table. The game does not continue until you are ready to go.

Other major "givens" are maintaining EYE CONTACT with your partner prior to putting ball in play, and keeping your focus in you PRIMARY AREA.

Hope this helps.
Old Sat Jun 09, 2001, 12:14am
certified Hot Mom tester

Juulie - as everyone who follows this board probably knows by now, you and I have done games together. I have only two brief comments regarding your post.

First, you haven't been "around the block" very much and I don't believe most of the coaches have seen you work before and/or know you and the fact that you call a good game.

Second, as I am sure you are aware, varsity boys coaches are quick to try to "work" a female official. Many of them are of the "old boy" network and it will just take a while until you are accepted.

We all had to go through an "introductory" period, especially when we stepped up to varsity, and I believe it takes even longer for a female to get accepted by male varsity coaches. And yes, I admit this is a broad generalization (no pun intended).
Old Sat Jun 09, 2001, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
And yes, I admit this is a broad generalization (no pun intended).
Even your UN-intended puns are funny. I like that in a partner!

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I know that women officials get "Worked", I feel it even in girls games. And I know part of it is that I am an unknown commodity. I know that the coaches who know me and have had me several times respect me and sometimes are glad to see me. I'm just hoping to spped up the process, so that I can move up as fast as possible.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2001, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Julie,
We all feel out of place, the first time we work a new level, especially when we don't feel we are ready for it. The key is to go in there and act like you have been doing it all your life. After practicing this in officiating, I had a meeting with some people I didn't feel I was ready for at work and a manager responded that I did very well. I told him it is called: "Fake it till you make it." He got a good chuckle and told me he couldn't tell I was faking it.
Old Mon Jun 11, 2001, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
"Fake it till you make it."
I'll quote back atcha from one of my favorite "fluff" movies, "Blast from the Past",

"Write that down!!"
Old Mon Jun 11, 2001, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Rainmaker:

Not sure how long you have been officiating -- you may have stated how long and I missed it, but I understand where you are coming from. I have been officiating basketball for 6 years (did soccer for 22 years) and I was recently selected to attend what we call our "evaluation league" which is a varsity level league. In order for us to move up, we have to attend this league (unless you transferred in at the varsity level). If we do well in this league, we are selected for the "swing list" and eventually (we hope) to the varsity level. I had some of the same concerns you have when I first started. I "knew" I could do it, but there is always that little bit of doubt, nervousness, etc. From reading your posts, you seem to be a student of the game and you are looking to become a better official. I congratulate you for this. Right or wrong, it seems that we are accepted sometimes because we "look good" -- uniform, shoes, positioning, reporting, etc. Keep up the good work!
Old Fri Jun 22, 2001, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

From one female to another

Hi Julie.
I've been where you are. When you're
starting out, it is a given that you're
going to have to prove yourself,
male or female, in order to gain the
respect you deserve. But, I do believe
the field of officiating is just now,
in the last several years, opening up more
to females, so you might have to give it
a little more effort in order to prove
yourself.

Although I've been around a while and don't
have to prove myself anymore, these are things
that I always do, regarless of the situation
being familiar or not. You can't go wrong.

I ALWAYS make it a point of holding my head
high with shoulders back when I enter the gym.
I fix my eyes on the team I will be observing
and try to show everyone that I'm into the job
and up to it. Don't slouch at timeouts either.
You may not know it, but people look at you
And no, not just the yelling ones.

When meeting the coaches, always call them coach
or coach so-and-so and give them a good firm handshake.
Never call them by their first name or get too personal
with them at game sites, even the ones you know
really well. I think this opens up the possibility
of them thinking they can maybe get to you a little.
Make sure they know from the start that it's all business
tonight to you.

In my opinion, I would not try to answer too many
questions about calls or make remarks regarding their comments. I think this again opens up the possibility
of them trying to argue more with you or just work and
talk to you more. In my opinon, less interaction is
better when you're starting out. Keep it professional.
I realize most officials give out the opposite advice,
but I think until you earn their respect, it's a lose,
lose situation to try to talk them out of things, etc.

That's just a start. Leaving work, so gotta go.
Email me if you like.
Lori
Old Sat Jun 23, 2001, 12:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Juulie - I forgot one point. Usually, when you first go to the table before the game to check the book, a coach will ask you how you are. I always reply the same way - "cranky." It puts them on notice.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2001, 02:44am
Official Forum Member

Lori --

I tried to eamil you, but it didn't work somehow (I have even more weaknesses on the computer than I do on the basketball floor). Thanks for your very helpful comments. I WOULD appreciate some email conversation if you can figure out how to start it. I'm feeling quite Ludd-ite this evening.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
fake it till you make it

Quote:
Julie,
We all feel out of place, the first time we work a new level, especially when we don't feel we are ready for it. The key is to go in there and act like you have been doing it all your life. After practicing this in officiating, I had a meeting with some people I didn't feel I was ready for at work and a manager responded that I did very well. I told him it is called: "Fake it till you make it." He got a good chuckle and told me he couldn't tell I was faking it.
What are some things to do on the court to "fake it"?!?

My two sense!
Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
How to Fake it.

Fake it as in act like you know what you are doing. Even if you aren't sure of what it is you are suppose to be doing, do something and act as if it is what is suppose to be done.

Some of the things you can do to fake it:
1. Blow the whistle with authority. No weak whistles.
2. Give good crisp signals as if you really know which direction the ball went out of bounds.
3. Come in strong when signaling a foul. Give the proper signals and then move to you reporting area and report the foul.
4. Be approachible but authoritative when talking to coaches. "You may be right coach, but this is what I saw and this is what we are going with."
5. Officiate the dead balls.
6. Look professional at all times. Good posture, good dress, Good positioning, the appearance of being focused on the game.

You may have others but this is what I can think of at this hour of the morning.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Re: How to Fake it.

Quote:
Fake it as in act like you know what you are doing. Even if you aren't sure of what it is you are suppose to be doing, do something and act as if it is what is suppose to be done.

Some of the things you can do to fake it:
1. Blow the whistle with authority. No weak whistles.
2. Give good crisp signals as if you really know which direction the ball went out of bounds.
3. Come in strong when signaling a foul. Give the proper signals and then move to you reporting area and report the foul.
4. Be approachible but authoritative when talking to coaches. "You may be right coach, but this is what I saw and this is what we are going with."
5. Officiate the dead balls.
6. Look professional at all times. Good posture, good dress, Good positioning, the appearance of being focused on the game.

You may have others but this is what I can think of at this hour of the morning.
Thanks Any others you can e-mail me personally too.

My two sense!