Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PAT THE REF
Lightbulb Need Help Fed Situations

Hey everyone,

I was asked by my asc. to look into two brand new umpires on their 1st H.S. Game... Today Frosh Boys. Light Rain - 65 Deg. - Overcast/gloomy skies...

Now we all remember our 1st HS game... I just want to know what you guys think I should write in my final report.

Sit 1) 1 out, Runners on 1st & 2nd... HIGH HIGH ball hit straight up. Lands straight down and deemed fair, no IFF call.. runners advance... Catcher tries to throw the runner out at first, called safe by BU. Then coach on 3rd questions it... PU states it is an applied rule... Runners are now on 2nd & 3rd, batters out. Other coach states that it isnt fair that the runners can advance and the runner on 2nd should be called out since he "left early". Umps state that since time was called, play was dead.
***What would you have done?***

Sit 2) Pitcher balks (clearly), Runner on 2nd gets caught in a rundown. BU in position B runs over and stands near 3rd, PU stays home... Caught and tagged out. Coach on 3rd states that the pitcher balked and the runner should get 3rd... Umps confirred and ruled that runner gets 3rd, other coach goes balistic... PU warns that coach.

Sit 3) Rundown between 3rd and Home, 1 runner is now moving from 2nd to 3rd and standing on 3rd. Runner from 3rd moving home and gets tangled with the catcher who was "diving" for the ball across the base path (foul line) while the runner was moving home... Runner gets tagged... OUT, then the same coach questions it and ruling gets overturned... Other coach does not even leave his dugout...

Coach on third wins 8-2 in 7 innings....

What do you think??? Thanks

Last edited by PAT THE REF; Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 01:16am.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAT THE REF
Hey everyone,

I was asked by my asc. to look into two brand new umpires on their 1st H.S. Game... Today Frosh Boys. Light Rain - 65 Deg. - Overcast/gloomy skies...

Now we all remember our 1st HS game... I just want to know what you guys think I should write in my final report.

Sit 1) 1 out, Runners on 1st & 2nd... HIGH HIGH ball hit straight up. Lands straight down and deemed fair, no IFF call.. runners advance... Catcher tries to throw the runner out at first, called safe by BU. Then coach on 3rd questions it... PU states it is an applied rule... Runners are now on 2nd & 3rd, batters out. Other coach states that it isnt fair that the runners can advance and the runner on 2nd should be called out since he "left early". Umps state that since time was called, play was dead.

Sit 2) Pitcher balks (clearly), Runner on 2nd gets caught in a rundown. BU in position B runs over and stands near 3rd, PU stays home... Caught and tagged out. Coach on 3rd states that the pitcher balked and the runner should get 3rd... Umps confirred and ruled that runner gets 3rd, other coach goes balistic... PU warns that coach.

Sit 3) Rundown between 3rd and Home, 1 runner is now moving from 2nd to 3rd and standing on 3rd. Runner from 3rd moving home and gets tangled with the catcher who was "diving" for the ball across the base path (foul line) while the runner was moving home... Runner gets tagged... OUT, then the same coach questions it and ruling gets overturned... Other coach does not even leave his dugout...

Why would your association put two new umpires together? Sounds like you got your money's worth.

You should be writing your evaluation rather than asking us to do your job.

I will offer an evaluation of your assignor if you'd like
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Just wanted to know what do u personally think of these situations...
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let's see, here are my evaluations:

**** Poor umpire training.... Local association failed to provide adequate training for the umpires prior to assigning them games. ****

**** Poor umpire training.... Local association failed to provide adequate training for the umpires prior to assigning them games. ****

Hope this helps
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Well I could of told everyone that... But, do you think all of these are correctable errors? I know IFF is, but obstructon? balks? they are all "applied rules" correct? Thanks
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

as was mentioned earlier, two brand new umps shouldn't be working together, especially at the freshman level since there will be lots of errors, obstructions, and balks. As far as the review goes, think about the basics. Do these two new umps have the basic knowledge of baseball? Anyone can be trained in mechanics and memorize the book with a bit of effort. If they are willing to put in the effort and the association is willing to train them, i would say that instead of evaluating their first game, you should be in the game with one of them, teaching him.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think they got the first two plays right (albeit late). They may have had the third play correct, too, depending on what "they" saw.

Could it have been better? Sure.

If they are good umpires, they will learn from the mistakes.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillips.alex
as was mentioned earlier, two brand new umps shouldn't be working together, especially at the freshman level since there will be lots of errors, obstructions, and balks. As far as the review goes, think about the basics. Do these two new umps have the basic knowledge of baseball? Anyone can be trained in mechanics and memorize the book with a bit of effort. If they are willing to put in the effort and the association is willing to train them, i would say that instead of evaluating their first game, you should be in the game with one of them, teaching him.
I Agree totally... This issue will be adressed, thanks everyone for their comments
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Better late than never!

Quote:
Hey everyone,

Maybe were a little late with the calls, but they did get them right it sounds like at least.

For new umpires, that is about normal. Its all about training and sounds like they were getting some good experience; however, I agree with other comments, the best experience is with a veteran partner.

By chance did you have a chance to meet with them following the game to offer suggestions?

That would be the only way they are going to learn - simply writing an evaluation is not going to do a bit of good.

Thanks
David
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey everyone,

Hopefully, someone was there to watch them and prepare an evaluation.

Here's what we do not know.

Did these new guys simply have the "jitters" in their first game. In other words perhaps they knew the rule but simply "froze". It happened to me when I first started.

It's much easier to get rid of the "jitters" "butterflys", when you play the game then when you umpire.

We have had recent threads on the state of the Minor League umpires Union. Suppose you did take an AAA Game with no other Pro or even High Level (D1)college experience. Chances are one would be nervous (no matter how many games they called) in dealing with professional baseball and if something routine did happen it's not impossible that a very good umpire would "freeze"
in doing his first Pro Game.

In Summary: I would start with the evaluation from a knowledgeable official, talk to the umpires and decide whether or not it was first game "jitters" or they need further training before they go into their next game.

Pete Booth