LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Base Runner Leaves Early

Scenario
Little League Minors
1 Out with runner on 1st

What Happened
During the pitchers wind up, the base runner leaves early. The batter hits a triple. The batted runner rounds 3rd and decides to return to 3rd because the catcher now has the ball. While returning to 3rd, the throw from the catcher to 3rd base beats the batted runner back and is tagged out.

My Call
Runner scored and batted runner is out at 3rd for 2nd out.

What about 2 Outs with runner on 1st, same scenario? Even if the runner scored prior to the non force 3rd out on 3rd, he scored because he left earlier. Is this a judgement call by the umpire?
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peewee View Post
Scenario
Little League Minors
1 Out with runner on 1st

What Happened
During the pitchers wind up, the base runner leaves early. The batter hits a triple. The batted runner rounds 3rd and decides to return to 3rd because the catcher now has the ball. While returning to 3rd, the throw from the catcher to 3rd base beats the batted runner back and is tagged out.

My Call
Runner scored and batted runner is out at 3rd for 2nd out.

What about 2 Outs with runner on 1st, same scenario? Even if the runner scored prior to the non force 3rd out on 3rd, he scored because he left earlier. Is this a judgement call by the umpire?
Runner who "scored" gets returned to 1B in both cases. He can only advance as far as pushed by the batter. As the batter ended up out, there was no push so he goes back.

“The Right Call” Casebook -- Play 7-18: Bases loaded and any one of the runners leaves his/her base early, batter hits a clean triple, but is thrown out at the plate trying to score after the over throw at third. Ruling: “Time” is called, the out stands. Return all runners to first, second and third.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

He's a batter-runner.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
He's a batter-runner.
The point was made.

Also I quoted the LL Case Book and it just says "batter".

The LL rule book, for rule 7.13 which governs this, consistently says "batter" and not "batter-runner".

Everyone knows who it was.

Get a life.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2012, 11:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
The point was made.

Also I quoted the LL Case Book and it just says "batter".

The LL rule book, for rule 7.13 which governs this, consistently says "batter" and not "batter-runner".

Everyone knows who it was.

Get a life.
I think he was just trying to educate the OP on the proper terminology used in discussing UMPIRE issues, since the OP used the term "batted-runner" three times. It wasn't a typo, so correcting his terminology is perfectly acceptable.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Mar 28, 2012, 01:45am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I think he was just trying to educate the OP on the proper terminology used in discussing UMPIRE issues, since the OP used the term "batted-runner" three times. It wasn't a typo, so correcting his terminology is perfectly acceptable.
Get a life!
Old Wed Mar 28, 2012, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you.
Old Wed Mar 28, 2012, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Steve, as I pointed out, the actual LL rule that applies here uses the term "batter", not "batter-runner". So from a LL perspective the terminology was correct.

In the OP the poster said "batted runner" (no hyphen). A sign that the poster is new at this.

While in OBR and perhaps other places in the LL book "batter-runner" is the correct term, the use of just "batter" has to be considered acceptable in this case due to the actual wording of the rule.

Finally, as the situation was sent and received with complete understanding, communication was achieved. As long as this happens why nit-pick the actual language?
Old Wed Mar 28, 2012, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Steve, as I pointed out, the actual LL rule that applies here uses the term "batter", not "batter-runner". So from a LL perspective the terminology was correct.
He was not correcting YOU, he was correcting OP. Whether B or BR is right, 'batted runner' is not. Nothing wrong with correcting him - and it's not like he did so sarcastically or bitterly, or asked him to get a life!

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Mar 28, 2012, 12:47pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
He was not correcting YOU, he was correcting OP. Whether B or BR is right, 'batted runner' is not. Nothing wrong with correcting him - and it's not like he did so sarcastically or bitterly, or asked him to get a life!
It wouldn't hurt to be more precise, or use more definition in his correction would it?

Very vague correction from where I stand.