The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Runner is out when he leaves the field of play -- or not?

Adult slowpitch. Our rules clearly state a runner is out when he leaves the field of play. This is a question about the letter of the rule versus the intent of the rule.

One of our fields has a chain link fence running from the backstop to approximately 20' past the first base. The fence ends there, and a very clearly marked white line extends from that point on, marking the field of play.

Batter/runner hits a solid single, overruns first base, is safe, and decelerates without making any move toward second. The problem is, and I've never seen this before, his deceleration is the longest I've ever seen. I am standing there watching him slow to an amble at an angle towards the out of play line. As I said, the chain link fence extends at least 20' past first base and is at least 15' away from the baseline. I'm not watching in anticipation of a "gotcha" moment. It's more like I'm watching in disbelief, thinking, "Is he really going to slow to a crawl and then walk out of bounds?" Sure enough, he did, stepping both feet over the line, then turning and heading back towards first.

Now what do I do? Is he out for leaving the field of play? Or is the intent of the rule to put finality to a play when a runner, thinking he or she is out, leaves the field and heads to the bench?
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

I'd not pick this booger. Leave it alone. The intent is to give us something to do with the runner who has simply given up. You wouldn't call a MLB runner out if he took a wide turn, tripped over something and landed in the stands.

Leave it alone.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that you should leave it alone, but I would casually mention it to the batter, at an opportune time( maybe after the game) what the rule states, and let him digest it...
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

This happened a few years ago: An umpire in our association called a player out because after he drew a walk he carried his bat into his team's bench area along the first-base line. The player had only intended to drop the bat and move to first base. Needless to say, bedlam ensued.

Like the case posted above, the player was clearly not intending to leave the field of play. I agree the sensible thing is to not call an out but to politely mention it to him (or his coach) between innings.
Old Sat Aug 26, 2006, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robertson
This happened a few years ago: An umpire in our association called a player out because after he drew a walk he carried his bat into his team's bench area along the first-base line. The player had only intended to drop the bat and move to first base. Needless to say, bedlam ensued.

Like the case posted above, the player was clearly not intending to leave the field of play. I agree the sensible thing is to not call an out but to politely mention it to him (or his coach) between innings.
If it was a walk in SP (topic subject) and there is no stealing, the ball should be dead, therefore there is no out to be called.
Old Sat Aug 26, 2006, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Ump
Now what do I do? Is he out for leaving the field of play? Or is the intent of the rule to put finality to a play when a runner, thinking he or she is out, leaves the field and heads to the bench?
If you are standing there, staring in disbelief, I will assume there were no other runners on base. Once you are satisfied the runner was not making an attempt to advance to 2B, I would have called time if the ball was back in the pitcher in the infield.
Old Sat Aug 26, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

In the game I mentioned, it was a men's orthodox league where stealing was permitted. The ball was still live. No way on earth I'd call that batter-runner out who was just taking his bat to the bench area.