The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

What do you guys and gals do to make sure the runner at first doesn't leave early?
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

One man or two man crew?
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

two man crew--
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Summer/travel ball, 12-under I remind them to not leave early. If they do, then I ring them up. Above that age, I don't do or say anything. It's up to them. A college coach told me once that they send every kid early until they get caught.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

nothing

I kinda like it.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Illinois blue
What do you guys and gals do to make sure the runner at first doesn't leave early?
Watch.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Are you watching the runner or the pitcher to determine is she leaves early?
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

If Im working two man I pretty much only watch 2B .. If Im in 1 man I kinda switch my set position to give me an angle depending on where they are - but its not always easy to see conclusively - to this I blame the org not using at least two umpires. I think in 1 man you can only tell if its pretty blatant.

In either case.. you have to watch both otherwise it would be impossible to tell. You only have to watch the runner until the pitch leaves it.. and only for a brief second during the pitch rotation.. once the pitch leaves the hand theres other things to watch (like foul/check swing whatever)

So I kinda stand where I'll be able to quickly look at the runner during the actual pitch and then I pay attention to whatever is happening.

Kinda hard to explain as things are simultaneous - Also things can add to the confusion, like some runners stand with the back foot behind the base so they are moving during the pitch but havent actually left the base until the pitch (this also sometimes causes cries of she left early when she didnt).. you have to multi task and watch both.

I'm sure I confused you worse in your quest for advice ...

Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Why do I care if the pitcher leaves early?
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

I've also found that its easier on you if with body language you convey that you are watching ... Probably every game you will get a complaint that someone left early, mostly done just to keep you as the umpire honest IMO .. but if you are obviously watching its just easier on you .. "How do you know she didnt leave early you werent watching" type convos or complaints.

Also .. if you do ring up someone.. then that keeps the team honest and its hard to deny you arent watching..

A bonus ring up is if you ring up someone on the complaining coaches team.. Ie coach team a) "blue you gotta watch, they are leaving early" .. next inning if you get to ring up one of his runners, you get bonus points...

Hey, you told me to watch and I am!

Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Both.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
You have to watch both, but if I need 'instant' replay to determine if she left early, she didn't.

wadeintothem
I've also found that its easier on you if with body language you convey that you are watching ... Probably every game you will get a complaint that someone left early, mostly done just to keep you as the umpire honest IMO .. but if you are obviously watching its just easier on you .. "How do you know she didnt leave early you werent watching" type convos or complaints.

I've had coaches tell me that when they shout out "Watch the runner leaving early!", they aren't necessarily talking to me. They are attempting to get in the head of the runner and slow her down. Every little bit helps.

Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

A funny tale

I have also had difficulty figuring out the best way to watch this. It seems like I might miss it the first time, and catch it out of corner of my eye, then pay closer attention after that, and the runner stays put. I've had one veteran umpire try to teach me to give a quick look at the runner, then back to home right at the moment that the pitch leaves the hand. In theory, it works since if you see the runner off the bag at that point, she done left early. It's harder than it sounds however, because you really have to make sure that your eyes get to where they are supposed to be after the pitch (home plate) to look for the things mentioned in a post above (check swing, etc.) Now for the tale...

Had a runner on 2nd that I thought left early out of the corner of my. Next pitch she left even earlier and I banged her out. She slid into third, popped up and went right in to the dugout. The fans were all over me, and her coach (from the 3rd base box) turned to them and told them that I had it right, she was at least a mile off base when the ball left the pitcher's hand. You gotta love it when the coach sticks up for you!
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Here is my method.

Before I have a runner on base I attempt to "time" the pitcher. I watch the arm into the 2:00 - 3:00 position and mentally time when the hand hits the release point. I will use a short word like "now" or "go" for the release point.

Then when I have a runner on base, I will watch the pitcher until the arm reaches 3:00 and then move my eyes to the base and focus on the foot that is touching the base. When I say my mental "now" that foot better still be touching the base.

If you do not focus your eyes on the foot on the base, you can get confused by runner movement prior to the foot actually breaking contact with the base. Then you error by calling runner's out that should not be out. And any sharp coach is going to be all over your case about "being fooled by running movement." Anytime a coach gets on me with those words I can say "Coach I don't pay any attention to the body, I watch the foot. If I see any air between the foot and the bag before release I am calling it." They look at me in disbelief and walk back to the bench, their argument diffused.

WMB

WMB
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
A key is to get an angle to see both (or 3 or 4). For example,
- in B with R1 on 1st, stay toward 1st where 1st, PP, HP are all in view; then it's more a matter of changing your concentration rather than your line of sight.
- in C with R1, R2 on 2nd and 3rd; stay on 2nd side of F6 and step back so all three spots are in your view, then same as B.
- any runners, the lead runner is more important, but it seems the trail runners are more likely to jump.